Baby Showers

How to Celebrate?

I'm on my 3rd baby.  We already have a boy and a girl, therefore we have everything we need.  I don't see a need for ANOTHER baby shower.  Especially since a ton of my friends are on the 1st baby, which means there have been tons of baby showers already this year.  We want to do something that will celebrate this child as much as the others.  I thought about having a gender reveal party with a no gifts necessary policy.  Just a cutely decorated BBQ with close friends and family.  But, there's seems to be so many "Really?" and "Why?" questions.  I keep hearing from people that its tacky or pointless and that most people just don't care.  So, is it tacky to have a gender reveal party?  Or is there another way to celebrate without having a baby shower/sprinkle (or whatever you want to call it)?

Re: How to Celebrate?

• Or have a family dinner: just you, your hubby, and your 2 kids. Have pizza, balloons, whatever floats your boat. Nothing wrong with celebrating small!
  • Loading the player...
  • Lurker here (and a noob!)

Agree with earlier posters about the sex reveal party. Honestly, outside of you, your partner, and your very immediate families, no one cares all that much, and certainly not enough to attend an entire event dedicated to it! The negative reactions you've been getting from people should be enough to tell you it's a bad idea.

Also, am I the only one who thinks it's a little strange to be served a baby-themed dessert at a non-baby-themed event? I for one would be confused and annoyed if suddenly, in the middle of what I thought was an innocuous BBQ, the hosts suddenly gathered everyone together for a big formal toast and then served pink and blue cupcakes, like "Now begins the baby portion of our evening." Wait...was this really a shower all along? Was I supposed to bring something? IMO it's either a baby party or it isn't - you can't have it both ways.

If you're looking to actually celebrate the baby, have a Meet the Baby shortly after his or her birth. My best friend had one for her DS2 when he was about 4 or 5 weeks old. Nothing fancy, just BBQ, beer and wine, a few family pictures on display, and a cute new baby for everyone to fawn over. A few brought gifts, like a book or a cute outfit, most just came to meet the baby and hang out with the parents. We had a great time, and that's probably what I'll do when we're ready for number two. :D

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Pregnancy Ticker

• I don't think so.  I mean it's not like we would have decorations or games.  We will simply have or toast or a short prayer for the new baby and a fun dessert.  That is all.  I know we will try to keep it low key as possible. I mean I might leave out the dessert, who knows.  

• I agree with the previous posts.

Since you already have kids, you know exactly how much time to give yourself to recuperate after baby. I would just plan for meet and greet for new baby. I'm sure they'll bring small gifts for baby anyway just cause people/family will always be generous. 
  • Ok I think a few of here are being a little ridiculous in how much emphasis you are putting on actual genitalia. I personally don't see an issue with announcing the gender of the baby. If your immediate friends/family are interested in knowing the gender and you already are planning or frequently have family bbqs than sure, why not tell those who care what you are having.

I personally am not loving a meet the baby idea. Summer is over and you're heading into fall/winter which is germy time. I don't want a bunch of possibly sick people touching my new born. Second, cudos for those of you who felt up to playing hostess PP. I had an awful complications and both DS and I were in no shape to see any one for quite some time. I can't imagine with two other LOs. Now if someone offered to host it and all I had to do is show up, fine. But in no way would I try to cook, clean and all that with a new born.
  • Also, am I the only one who thinks it's a little strange to be served a baby-themed dessert at a non-baby-themed event? I for one would be confused and annoyed if suddenly, in the middle of what I thought was an innocuous BBQ, the hosts suddenly gathered everyone together for a big formal toast and then served pink and blue cupcakes, like "Now begins the baby portion of our evening." Wait...was this really a shower all along? Was I supposed to bring something? IMO it's either a baby party or it isn't - you can't have it both ways.  
    I disagree with this, actually.  If I am invited to a BBQ hosted by a couple who are expecting, and they take a moment to raise a glass to the impending arrival, I would never look askance at that.  

I think announcing the sex of the baby at a party where everyone's together, already enjoying each other's company, is a really far cry from having a party that's centered around the AW-ish concept that everyone wants to come to a party specifically to find out about your baby's junk.  

The key here is that the first one is for the enjoyment and enrichment of the guests; the second is for the enjoyment and enrichment of the hosts.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Can you not just have folks over to eat BBQ & shoot the shit? You can celebrate just as well with immediate family at a little brunch or dinner at the house.

Why must everything be an AW to schelack on pininterest or Instagram?

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• kaykriekaykrie member
    edited September 2014
    DON"T SPAM THE BOARDS
  • At almost 30 years old with a sister who is 28, I have yet to ever hear her tell my Mother she feels "less special or loved" because my Mom had a baby shower with me but did not have one with her. Seriously, having a baby shower, a baby sprinkle, a "gender" reveal, a meet the baby party or any other similar event will not make your baby feel any more or less special than your other children. 
    Me: 30 Him: 33
    Married: August 2012
    BFP #1 9/2013 -- MC 10/2013
    DD: 9/22/2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"