January 2014 Moms

Weaning and Sleep Training

So unfortunately, I have to wean DD. Between traveling for work and stress, etc., my supply is practically gone. As a result, DD is destroying my nipples trying to get milk out and comfort nursing for over an hour each time at night. She went back to using me as a pacifier (she won't take an actual pacifier). Sadly, she is also keeping us up all night long wanting us to nurse/rock her to sleep...all...night...long. Sleep training time. I am not thrilled to be weaning at the same time, but since she won't go to sleep without me rocking/nursing her, we need to do the sleep training to get her to know that bedtime means go to sleep. I've read several different versions and I am feeling sick at the thought of doing this in the first place. We can't really do the type where you keep reassuring them with a hug or pat because it just upsets her more that we are not picking her up. She is put down awake for naps at daycare and only fusses for a few minutes before she is out, so I know she is just playing us because she knows we will grab her...

This all started I think because she was colic for over 5 months and we did ANYTHING we had to in order for her to sleep, so she got accustomed to playing mommy and daddy. Has anyone had to wean and sleep train at the same time? Does anyone have any advice for either sleep training or weaning? My doctor and hers told me I need to stop letting her use me as a pacifier so we are going to have to cut her off after I pick her up from daycare this evening. She does go to sleep with a bottle from either me or my DH, but she wakes up as we put her in the crib and either needs to be rocked (by DH) or wants to suckle on me. Not quite sure how we are going to do this but it has to be done...not looking forward to it, since she goes into full blown tantrum, hyperventilating screaming mode in the middle of the night if you don't hold her when she wants it...ugh...

Re: Weaning and Sleep Training

• Good luck :) My best advice with sleep training is stick to your guns and be consistent. It will go much much faster. No idea about weaning, though. 
  • I wish I had some solid advice for you but I don't. I hope everyone gets adjusted quickly! Best of luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • amt0312 said:
    Good luck :) My best advice with sleep training is stick to your guns and be consistent. It will go much much faster. No idea about weaning, though. 

I agree with this. No idea about weaning, but we did Ferber's CIO method. My LO also got more upset if we went in, but I still went in UNLESS she was almost asleep. First night she cried 30 min, 2nd night was 15 min, and 3rd night was 2 min. She will get used to it and be fine. I would turn the monitor volume down so it wasn't quite as intense, but I would still watch her on the video and could still hear her from upstairs. When she started quieting down then i would put the volume back up. My LO is stubborn so this was the best method for us.

Married June 2010.
    DD born 1/13 via Csection at 41w5d after 47 hours of labor

• @MrsW062610‌ thanks for the advice! Ya we plan on turning down the monitor and checking on her in intervals. I really hope it only takes a few days, because the thought of letting her cry for so long stresses me out. My mom told me I used to cry for like 2 hours...going to be a long night. Plus, I won't get to nurse her to calm her.
  • Update? How did it go??

Married June 2010.
    DD born 1/13 via Csection at 41w5d after 47 hours of labor

• So we went to try it last night but realized she was sick with a fever. However, the longer we rocked and nursed her, the hotter she got. So we had to do a modified CIO mainly because her fever was getting worse the more we coddled her. She ended up not crying for very long before falling asleep, but I assume that is because she's sick and sleepy. I'll update on how it goes when she feels better since I'm thinking she won't fall asleep as fast.

Thanks again for all the help ladies!
  • @esd‌ you are right and we weren't actually trying to do sleep training once we realized she was sick, but we also couldn't hold her all night long for her to sleep. She was actually getting hotter the longer we held her, so we put her in the crib after nursing/rocking her for 2+ hours and she cried off and on for 5-10 minutes while we monitored and rubbed her back until she fell asleep. We still rocked her when she woke MOTN and nursed because she's sick, which we will not do once we start real sleep training. I promise I wasn't putting her through full CIO while she was sick, sorry if it seemed that way.

We agreed to start for real if she is better hopefully next week.
  • There is a whole group of us on the FB group that all did the Sleep Easy Solution and so far it has been VERY successful for pretty much everyone. You HAVE to stay consistent and both you and DH have to do everything the exact same way. Be sure you have a clear cut bedtime routine in place before starting. That was key for us. And a relatively early bedtime (like around 7pm 8:30 at the latest!)  This has completely changed everything for me and I'm a huge fan. I rocked/bounced/nursed for hours to get her to sleep before starting the book and now she goes to sleep most nights with less than 4 minutes of fussing! I don't have advice on the weaning part and I'm sorry you are having to when you weren't quite ready but I hope it goes as smoothly as possible.

Also here's a really helpful link to a similar plan if you don't want to buy the book I mentioned above. (main difference is that Sleep Easy recommends dream feeds prior to when they normally wake to eat. Go get Lo 1 hour before normal wake up time and let her eat and then put her right back still asleep. then you slowly reduce the time on those feeds each night until you hopefully drop them. this way they don't cry to be fed and you break that association with crying during the night.)
    https://www.troublesometots.com/how-to-cry-it-out-bedtime-edition/
             *********************************************************************************

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Married October 2009. Me 29 H 28.
    After 1 year of infertility, our little miracle was conceived via our 3rd IUI on May 5, 2013.
    Holland Sophia was born Jan 24, 2014.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @Cara1024‌ thanks for the tips! I'll try this once she feels better!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"