Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Too much formula???

My ds is almost 3 weeks and eats 3oz of formula every 3-4 hours. He also takes appx 2-3 oz of breast milk daily ( it's all I'm making). His birth weight was 6 6 and he was back at bw one week pp.

Does this sound like too much??
Ps no he isn't spitting up and yes he is rooting for each feeding.

Re: Too much formula???

• Sounds just like my dd, so I will be curious about the answers you get. We are 3 oz every 3 hours plus bf. Dd just acts like she has been starving for 8 hours with full on rooting and crying.
  • At 3 wks my LO wasn't gaining weight (was trying to BF). We had to start giving formula & they told me at that time to give him 2-3oz ev 2-3 hrs. Mine was a hungry little guy so he ate the max amount. We bumped up the amount shortly after that. He's at 4 oz now & STILL rarely makes it more than 3 hrs unless he's sleeping. I was really worried that I was over feeding him, so I asked at his 2mo peds appt & they told me if he is hungry & not spitting it up/vomiting, let him eat!

I think you are just fine. If he's not spitting it back out or turning away from the bottle & signals that he is hungry, I would feed him.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Loading the player...
  • my pedi said the same thing as pp.  if they aren't spitting up or fussy during feeding let them eat.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image
  • My pediatrician told me to take baby's weight and divide in half to figure out how many oz per feeding. So if your LO is 7lbs,3.5oz every feeding is a good starting point.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"