January 2014 Moms

Wedding

So we are going to a wedding in a month and I'm trying to decide to take DD or not.

The wedding is 2 hours away and the ceremony isn't until 5 pm. The reception is at a really nice location.

The wedding is for a friend of DH's and they were really close at one point but don't really talk or get together anymore. The friend has not met DD despite living 10-15 minutes away. The invitation was addressed to Mr. And Mrs. and not DD. I said that meant DD wasn't invited but DH insisted on contacting his friend and asking if she could come.

There is an option on the RSVP for a child's meal so DD will probably not be the only one there. The brides brother had a baby around the same time DD was born who I assume will be there but I don't know them at all.

I've already booked a room and made sure to get one at the location of the reception so I could go back to the room with DD and DH can stay at the reception.

A month ago I planned to take her, but now I just don't see her being content being held for hours and not being allowed to crawl around.

I could leave her with DH's parents but I've posted about issues with them before and I'm just not sure I'm ready to do a night away and be that far away yet.

So J14, what do you think?

Re: Wedding

• @mrspadfoot‌
    I know she wasn't invited but DH thinks she was. Now that he asked his friend if she could come and he said yes he thinks it's completely fine to take her.

Unfortunately, no there isn't anyone to take. I've thought about taking DH's parents but they would just insist she stay at their house. So I don't want to ask them unless I'm prepared to leave her there.
  • I agree. I would plan for a sitter. Too bad you can't leave them with the ILs. I don't remember it, but apparently when I was little my parents went to a wedding that had an adult reception. It was a few hours away so they had to take me. My aunt and uncle did the same thing with my cousins. So there were 3 of us kids and 4 adults. What she said they did was left us in one hotel room with an adult and they traded off every hour or so so everyone got to enjoy the reception. Like PP said, maybe a teenage cousin would be willing to babysit.

Hopefully you can find a sitter at home or there so you and DH can have some fun. Enjoy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I don't think I would feel ready to leave DD for the night, especially being in a different town where I couldn't get to her quickly if needed (FTR - I don't think there's anything wrong with it, I just don't feel ready). I'm not sure what your issues/concerns with your ILs are but if you have any concerns I definitely wouldn't leave her - both for her safety (depending what the issues are) and for your own peace (piece?) of mind. I would probably see if I could bring a friend/family member to hang out in the hotel with LO so I could be nearby. If that wasn't an option, I'd consider either skipping the wedding and letting H go alone, or asking the bride/groom if they know of a responsible person who could stay with LO during the ceremony/dinner and then I'd go to the room while H stayed at the reception, if he wanted to.
  • I agree that it is probably not right to take the baby to the wedding.  I would tell DH that even though he thinks it is now okay to take her you are still not comfortable with it and them tell him to just think of the headache of trying to keep a cranky baby quiet during a cermony that is coming up on bedtime.  Since you've already booked a room at the reception area why don't you ask the hotel if they have any babysitters they recommend and have the babbysitter stay with DD in the hotel room.  You can frequently go check on her but still have fun for the night with DH.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @mrspadfoot‌ I know she wasn't invited but DH thinks she was. Now that he asked his friend if she could come and he said yes he thinks it's completely fine to take her. Unfortunately, no there isn't anyone to take. I've thought about taking DH's parents but they would just insist she stay at their house. So I don't want to ask them unless I'm prepared to leave her there.
    Here's the thing though. What answer can the groom possibly give to that question without being or feeling like an ass?

I don't recall your issues with your in laws. Refresher please? You'd need to leave LO by 3pm. Could you pick DD up after the wedding or would she spend the entire night at your in laws?

• Thanks for the replies, you guys confirmed exactly what I was thinking.

@sugarland726‌ They were upset with me because I wouldn't let them take DD for a ride on their four wheeler when she was 4 months old. Several incidents along those lines but instead of backing down when I say they cannot do something that I do not consider safe with DD they dig in and I end up having to be quite rude to make it clear it isn't happening. It makes me question if they will respect my wishes when I'm not around.

I don't see a way around DD not having to stay overnight somewhere. I don't think we could be home before 1-2 am and I don't want to pick her up in the middle of the night somewhere.

@danaadell‌ I think that would be my first choice of plans for the evening!

My husband is so insistent that we can take her I was starting to question my unwillingness to. Thanks for confirming for me!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"