December 2014 Moms
Options

How Much is Baby Costing You?

Re: How Much is Baby Costing You?

• Options
    I feel like I'm getting screwed over. Our total was $750 and that's not counting the trip to the ER that we will be getting billed for forever even though everything was okay.
    In memory of the baby Hufflepuff and all the angel babies of D14 <3
    imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Canadian moms-- I have so many questions!

You don't have private mother/baby rooms for your hospital stay? 

How much would it cost for a private room?

Does baby room with you or go to the nursery?  Can YH/SO stay the night in a shared room?

BabyFruit Ticker

Thing 1: 6/2012 Thing 2: Due 12/2014
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My cs and hospital stay will cost about $1,800. My son's care will be about $200 or so.

I pay $15 copays at every appointment and $30 for labs. Vitamins are $30 a month.

My first baby was the cheapest. I had great insurance through my job and my whole crazy L&D (failed induction followed by emergency cs, tons of blood pressure meds and antibiotics) only cost $50. My son's care only cost $100.
  • Options
    Zero dollars because I am going to a midwife in the hospital. I wanted a homebirth and it would have been $3400 if I could have paid out of pocket, but we didn't have that much money.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Daneicy80 said:
    beachy6 said:

However, after paying over $200k out of pocket over the last decade just to get this little lady here, this part is not a big deal at all!

Wowzers... over $200K!!  I've always wondered about fertility treatments and their cost but I had no idea it could be that much.  My SIL might need to go that route (they've been trying for a while and just went through testing) but I don't know how much insurance might cover or not.  It's not something a lot of people talk about (at least in my circles).
    I did not have IVF so I can't help with that part, but at my office, you're looking at $500 ultrasounds AT MINIMUM twice a month, every 2-3 days if you're taking injectables. Medications can run you anywhere between $10, or $10,000 every cycle.
    If you have an IUI, my office charges $700 per IUI plus another $300 for semen washing. 

I was lucky I didnt need anything but a few hundred in injectables which insurance DID NOT cover, nor would they cover IUI, but they did cover ultrasounds. 
    My remicade infusions were $30,000 every 6 weeks so that soaks up most of my co-pays/co-insurance.
  • Options

Does baby room with you or go to the nursery?  Can YH/SO stay the night in a shared room?

It depends on the hospital if you have a private room or not. When I had DD I had my own room for L/D and then moved into a shared room for recovery.

I believe they said the cost for the private room was like $25 a night but my hospital only had a couple of private rooms and it was first come first serve.

Baby will be with me in my room, but I believe there is a nursery.

DH was not able to stay overnight, but that may have just been the room I was in. Fx he can stay with me this time.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers >Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I think I will be covered nearly 100% by my insurance, but I am just going by the experiences of other women from my job who have the same insurance as me and delivered at the same hospital I will be in. I guess its possible that I might have to pay something, but it probably won't be much. I'm a teacher so I have very good insurance but I pay for it every pay check.
    Married my best friend 7/2/11 - Furbaby born 7/9/11 and brought into our home 9/1/11

BFP#1:   2/2/13 ~ exact m/c date unknown but around 3/20 at 10 weeks ~ diagnosed with PMP ~ D&C on 4/5 ~ TTA for at least 1 year due to PMP ~ cleared to TTC 1/14

BFP#2:   2/7/14 ~ m/c 2/20/14 ~ possibly due to chemical pregnancy ~ TG no D&C is needed 

Surprise BFP#3:  4/4/14 ~ super duper extra happy (and nervous) about this one - EDD 12/9/14!!!

John Joseph was born on 12/12/14 at 7 lbs. 11 oz.  He is the most beautiful rainbow baby we could have wished for!

• Options
    Zero dollars and zero cents. Blessed to have amazing insurance! Only cost out of my pocket is all of her "stuff" :)
  • Options
    Well there was an issue with MH's insurance company when he registered last fall so we found out when I was pregnant that I didn't have coverage. So I had to get my own BCBS plan that's about $250/mo. I also applied for Medicare, but unfortunately we got declined due to income restrictions. The good news is that I got the OB/GYN that I wanted.. Anyway we are paying about $330/mo upfront for her costs. I also have an ER bill from May when I had some spotting, that is upwards of $1,000. We will also have an application fee of $150 for our pediatrician, even though all three of us will be on a different insurance starting in January. AND we will also have a separate bill for hospital costs. Phew! That was a lot. I envy y'all who don't have to pay anything. This baby is a blessing to is but the financial burden is a lot to handle at times.
  • Options
    Everything is in network for us - so right now, $0
    Micropreemie, IUGR mom to Noah, born 10 weeks early at 1lb, 10oz.  Grace born 02/2012
  • Options
    (and we are NOT talking about fertility treatment costs, we just paid those off, yowzers!)
    Micropreemie, IUGR mom to Noah, born 10 weeks early at 1lb, 10oz.  Grace born 02/2012
  • Options
    VMac1984VMac1984 member
    edited September 2014

We do have private rooms, but they usually cost you. At my hospital you pay a little under $200.00 for a private room, but you could luck out and get one free of charge if it's not a busy, uh, delivery time haha. Of course those
    Who pay have first dibs on the private rooms. Most rooms have 2 moms/babies to a room. It's my hospitals policy to keep baby in the room with the mother as much as possible. My husband stayed with me one night with my first, but he had to sleep in a chair. I'm not sure if this is how it works across Canada though, because healthcare is partially governed by the individual provinces.

• Options
    smack427 said:
    Well there was an issue with MH's insurance company when he registered last fall so we found out when I was pregnant that I didn't have coverage. So I had to get my own BCBS plan that's about $250/mo. I also applied for Medicare, but unfortunately we got declined due to income restrictions. The good news is that I got the OB/GYN that I wanted.. Anyway we are paying about $330/mo upfront for her costs. I also have an ER bill from May when I had some spotting, that is upwards of $1,000. We will also have an application fee of $150 for our pediatrician, even though all three of us will be on a different insurance starting in January. AND we will also have a separate bill for hospital costs. Phew! That was a lot. I envy y'all who don't have to pay anything. This baby is a blessing to is but the financial burden is a lot to handle at times.
    The pedi charges a fee to be a patient?
    BabyFruit Ticker

Thing 1: 6/2012 Thing 2: Due 12/2014
  • Options
    Probably around $1000 after copays, prescriptions, deductible and our portion of hospital bill (5%). Out of 3 kids, this one is our most expensive yet! :-P
    BFP #1 - 2/1/09-mc 2/5/09 @4wks
    BFP #2 - 6/24/09-mc 7/25/09 @8wks
    6/09 Dx w/PCOS--Metformin & Progesterone
    8/09 Dx w/Compound Hetero MTHFR--Neevo, Metanx & BA
    BFP #3 - 1/11/10 - DD1 born 9/16/10 @39w4d, 8lbs 14oz & 20in.
    Heparin from BFP to 34wks.
    BFP #4 - 10/4/11 - DD2 born 6/2/12 @38w1d, 8lbs 11oz & 21in.
    Same med protocol as last time, but heparin continued until delivery.
    BFP #5 - 3/30/14, EDC 12/10/14!!

Beta #1-76 (12dpo), Beta #2-238 (14dpo)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I know military is free (I was one of those babies) but I didn't know completely free still existed in the private sectors.  Others (esp. FTMs) who are delivering at hospitals may want to check with the financial department at the hospital, particularly the PP who has Kaiser.  My Kaiser deductible is $500 and then I pay 20% after that (and I get my insurance 95% free through work).  Appointments are all free, but U/S aren't covered so they are helping me meet my deductible.  I called the hospital and with my 20% pay I'm looking at $1500 if vaginal and $2500 if csection out of pocket.  And there could be other bills from doctors, anesthesiologists, etc.  From all my mom friends I understand there are tons of bills that come after baby that you don't expect. Our plan is just to deal with it as they come...probably with a payment plan.

Oh, and when I had to go to the hospital a week ago, I just got the record for charges and the original charge was $1500, I think I have to pay $100 or so.
    EDD 12/3/14 First time Mom!

D14 Free for All

These two are just so funny...

Also, due date has come, gone and I am just so anxious to meet baby!  Please be healthy and strong baby, mama can't wait to meet you :)
  • Options
    Thank God for the NHS :x No cost to me at all !!
  • Options
    @AllTheTeaInChina‌ Unfortunately they do charge an application fee. I feel like a bad mommy because I haven't done my research. This is the pediatrician I had as a child so I really wanted him. They told me even though DD will only be covered under my insurance for a few weeks (the rest of 2014), they still require it. I need to double check to make sure she will be covered. I know we are putting her on MH's insurance policy that will be effective Jan 2015.
  • Options

Totally depends on the hospital and your own insurance.  At the hospital that I am delivering at, you could either have a private or semi-private room for labour.  Then private for delivery.  Then *usually* private for post-delivery. Babies stay in the room with you, unless they are in the ICU. You can pay for a private room, but it is based on availability and low risk.  It will cost me $20 for a private room because I have additional private insurance. Fathers are only allowed to sleep in private rooms.  Some rooms actually have a bed for the father while some have a mattress on the floor.   

Overall, this pregnancy could cost me $0.  I chose to have the verifi test which is not yet covered in Canada, so that cost me $800.  I will also choose to pay the $20 to request a private room.
    BFP #1 - 03/13 Ectopic @ 5 weeks
    BFP#2 - 09/13 Natural m/c @ 6 weeks
    BFP #3 - 12/13 Natural m/c @ 6 weeks
    BFP #4 - 04/14   EDD - 9/12/14

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    After reading this, I decided to call my insurance to find out. We have a $750 deductible, so we'll have to meet that. After that we have an out of pocket max of $4,500. Sooo, basically anywhere between about $1000-$4000. Um, where do the rest of your get your insurance because we actually have awesome insurance! Wowza!

Even more reason to go drug free/natural...I don't even want to think about how much an anesthesiologist would add!
  • Options
    If i didn't have insurance evrything would cost $12,000. With my insurance it will cost me $5,000. I am jealous of all of you with good health insurance. And I work for a huge hospital.
  • Options
    Yah, this post is making me feel LOUSY about my insurance situation.  I work for a tiny company so no coverage is provided. LUCKILY I found out we were ku with two weeks left to go on the open market insurance in April, so I had a chance to bump my coverage way up.  I'm paying about $300/month, have a $500 deductible, 20% co-insurance and $4500 out of pocket max. The insurance people are also really hesitant to give me a firm number but they say it's unusual to meet the $4500 on a routine vaginal birth.  I hadn't even considered that baby might need to hit deductible also. Gah. I have a call into my insurance to figure it out.
  • Options

$0, including PNVs. We have Tricare since we are military, so all costs are covered with no deductible or copay. Since we get our prescriptions filled at the on-post pharmacy (which also gives out free OTC meds including my PNVs), there is no cost for any of those.

Edit: DH is military. Not me.

Same thing exactly. TRICARE covers everything as long my care is as the Military hospital. Choice in OB/locations is the only trade off for free care I suppose. I'm definitely not complaining!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Just to be on the safe side, I would advise everyone to see what your OOP max is just in case you are surprised with some bills that aren't covered. Better to be safe than sorry. As much as I hate paying the $2750, I'm happy to know that's the max I have to pay no matter what, complications and all!
  • Options
    I haven't gotten my bill yet... should soon. I pay 20% after deductible- looking at anything between 2500 and 5000. If it ends up being lower I will be very happy, we shall see. Looks like the insurance I thought was alright actually sucks in comparison to others?

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    I pay $20 co pay per prenatal visit. So about $280 I am estimating. I found out recently that my ob doesn't bill for prenatal visits until after delivery. I stopped paying my co pay a couple visits ago when one of their un informed people told me I don't owe anything. So I think I have two un paid co pays. She said a lot of people are surprised at the end of the pregnancy when they see the bill. I have hap hmo so they cover in network 100%. But office visit co pays are $20 and emergency room is $50. I am assuming I will get billed $50 once I go into labor. Everything has to be pre approved but my hospital had everything covered for my hernia surgery. I am hoping the same is the case for delivery. Our open enrollment is in October so I will double check. I also am still unsure of my std coverage. Uggh.

• Options
    Insurance covers 100% of my pregnancy/birth. 
    BFP #1 - 12.25.13 // MMC - 01.23.14
    BFP #2 - 03.27.14 // EDD - 12.07.14

• Options

My deductible of $1,000 + Baby's $1,000 deductible + 20%, I believe.

With DD it was the two deductibles, that was it. But then I quit working to stay home and joined DH's insurance. That 20% is where it's going to bite us in the ass!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP #1 5/12/12; EDD 1/20/13; Eliana Grace born 1/25/13

BFP #2 12/11/13; EDD 8/23/14; M/C 6 weeks

BFP #3 4/3/14; EDD 12/13/14

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Daneicy80 said:
    beachy6 said:

However, after paying over $200k out of pocket over the last decade just to get this little lady here, this part is not a big deal at all!

Wowzers... over $200K!!  I've always wondered about fertility treatments and their cost but I had no idea it could be that much.  My SIL might need to go that route (they've been trying for a while and just went through testing) but I don't know how much insurance might cover or not.  It's not something a lot of people talk about (at least in my circles).

It's not cheap at all. We only did 2 IVF cycles (2 fresh and 1 frozen), but we did a ton of iui's, different meds, surgeries, etc. We are blessed that we were able to save, save, save and pay cash for it all. That's part of the reason it took us so long to do IVF. Our insurance didn't cover any of our treatments, so it does get expensive. Hopefully, your SIL has a decent insurance that will help out, as some do.

BabyFruit Ticker

ttc #2 since 2004 Me (35): Stage 3 Endo, DH (34): High DNA Frag

IVF/ICSI #2: April 2014: BFP!!!!!!

ET of 2 great quality embryos. + BFP on 9dp5dt. Beta #1 (10dp5dt): 257, Beta #2 (14dp5dt): 1561,

Beta #3 (21dp5d5): 8,172. Wow. It seems this is actually working. Shocked beyond belief.

1st u/s @6w5d: Baby A hb 124, Baby B hb 127 (Both measuring perfectly!)

Lost baby A. Praying that baby B stays healthy. Baby B hb 175 at 11 weeks

It's a GIRL!!!

imageimageimage

My Blog

• Options
    My insurance really sucks! Family deductible and co insurance is like 7000 dollars! My company will give about 500 to our hsa but the rest is out of pocket!
  • Options
  • Options
    smack427smack427 member
    edited September 2014
    Speaking of teeth cleaning, @ashtonkitty1 have you mommies had it done since you have been pregnant? I have read that dental care is super important during pregnancy and I'm going to schedule mine for later this week.
  • Options
    Zero. I'm Canadian. Plus I have benefits through work for a private room.
    *TEAM PINK*
    TTC#1 Since November 2013 // BFP March 27, 2014 // EDD December 11, 2014

BabyFetus Ticker

Anniversary
  • Options

About to switch insurances because when I got pregnant I was still covered under my parents' health insurance plan. Unfortunately, being covered under their plan was pretty expensive as they have a high deductible HSA plan and apparently while the changes made under Obama that allowed parents to keep their kids on their plans until 26yo apply to the insurance coverage, the change did not apply to the health savings plan, so all expenses so far have been out of pocket :( However, once I switch over, all OB prenatal and postnatal visits are covered. :) Cant wait! Now just crossing my fingers that my current OB is within my network!

My pregnancy was covered completely under my parents insurance, but I just turned 26 so I got new insurance which is not aaaas good, since I have copays and a deductible now, but much better done its actually mine lol. But all ob visits are covered completely all I have to pay is 75 for perinatal visits and the hospital itself depending on how long I'm there.
  • Options
  • Options
    $0

Military

imageimageimageimage
    November Siggy Challenge: How I feel in the Third Trimester 
            image   image   image
    BabyFetus TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We'll be using our entire family out-of-pocket maximum ($8000). We knew this when we chose insurance plans though, and still decided it was the best choice for us (out of two plans - neither of which was that awesome). First of all, our monthly premiums are REALLY low, as compared to the plan would have had a much lower deductible/out-of-pocket max.  Second, since it's a high deductible plan, we were able to get an HSA, so most of the money we're spending was put directly into that HSA and not taxed.  That is a huge savings, and the amount we will pay for the year is less than if we had chosen a plan with a lower deductible/OOP max, but paid a higher premium and taxes on the income being spent on medical bills.  Still, paying so much sucks.

I also hate that, although I want to give LO as much time as possible to cook and be ready, I'm really really hoping that she comes before the new year so we don't have to start paying the deductible all over again.  She'd have to be 9 days late though, so hopefully won't happen, but not unheard of.
  • Options
    $400 total for the maternity package at my OB which includes all visits, ultrasounds, and any additional blood drawn and shots in office. That amount is after insurance. $0 co-pays and $5 prescriptions. Otherwise out of pocket it would have cost approx. $1600. Since we've met the family deductible of $500 for the year the birth it self is completely covered minus $35 admin fee. Not too shabby!
  • Options
    $20 copay at my first regular OB visit only, and $20 at each MFM visit. Everything else is 100% covered except prescription copays for my thyroid meds and diabetes testing supplies. And those are on Tier 1 and I do mail order.

All in all, probably $400-500 max when you factor in the meds and copays for the high-risk visits.
    BabyFruit Ticker       
    DD1 - 8 years
    DD2 - 6 years
    BFP3 - 3/31/14, Harmony Test 6/5/14 - It's a BOY!

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Wow this is depressing. I guess though I'm somewhere in the middle. At my 12 appointment they schedule you to see the billing office and they will have talked with your insurance and find out for you what is left as far as deductible and set up a payment plan with you. I pay $96 from August-Dec so I guess that is around $500. This does not include bloodwork or u/s cost bloodwork has been pricey but U/S seem to just have about a 20-30 copay left after insurance. I don't honestly remember what was dicussed as being covered and what was not but we discussed epiural, baby care cost and vag vs csec. All in all my DH has set aside 1500 in saving to cover everything. Edit:Addition

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"