July 2014 Moms

Colic?

I was just wondering if anyone's LO has been diagnosed being colic? If so what was your pediatricians way of diagnosing it? 

I'm pretty positive my LO is colic.

He is 7 weeks today. 

He has a time between 1am to 7am where he is inconsolable, and sometimes it will last for that whole estimate of time. 
It is also definitely three times a week. LO will randomly start screaming his lungs out, I will of course always take the action of is he hungry, dirty butt, need to burp, is his clothing choice too hot/too cold. Nine times out of ten he is not wanting/needing any of this and still is what it seems like PISSED off baby. It always seems like he is 'gassy' when he is this way too. Which I can sometimes get him too pass gas, which makes him stop his screaming momentarily. But then he is right back at it. 

Today though around 8am he was perfectly fine and all of a sudden started his screaming, clenched fists, flailing arms. He was completely inconoloable, and I was about to join him in the screaming and crying. I had to let him chill on his own a couple times. It's very heartbreaking when everything you try doesn't help.

About 10am he finally calmed down in his swing and is supposedly asleep. 

Thanks for sharing any experiences. :)

Re: Colic?

• I went to the pediatrician today about this actually. My LO likely has colic and possibly acid reflux.

They just asked questions (my little one has a time of day when he is just as you described) and prescribed zantac for reflux.

• I was told DS1 had colic, it was likely reflux and/or severe allergies. It was evening crying 4pm-11...the timing seems weird for your lo, but it fits the "criteria"- long, inconsolable crying. hope you all find relief.
    imageimage"">

• Loading the player...
  • I had an inconsolable baby and tried gripe water by little remedies and it worked for us, I have a completely different baby. I hope you can find a solution soon!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Try gas drops first. We did many changes to the formula we use ( supplement) conclusion. Not gas but my baby is colic. My hours are 7-11 pm or 2-5 pm some days. Its lovely. There's no "test" or way to "fix" it. Just wait it out.
  • Download a white noise app on your phone and blast it as loud as you can! We use the hair dryer or vacuum in the app. Worst case scenario turn on your actual vacuum cleaner. I didn't believe it, but it worked. Sure you can't run the vacuum all the time but when you're at your wits end even a few minutes of silence is like a dream. My doc said white noise and rhythm, like rocking. We put Lo into the swing and blast the white noise and this has gotten us through. I hope this helps. My Lo would scream every single night from 11 to 3am nonstop, so i know how you feel. Now he starts at 7pm but we are finally able to contain the situation.
  • Thanks ladies for the suggestions. :)

I do know that its pretty much a wait it out thing. Can't wait for it to pass.
  • I experienced very similar things with my baby as OP.

I thought it was due to gas and not colic. The hardest time was between 2-6am, but it happened early evenings also1-4 hours of fussiness. I kept misreading her cues, thinking she was hungry and ended up over feeding and making it worse.

My dr said it was colic bc she wasn't fussy like that after every feeding. I still don't really understand the term 'colic'. I've treated the symptoms and it's helped. She was having reflux, so she's on Zantac and that seems to help some. I switched formulas to try to help with the gassiness and that seems to have helped some. I also went to dr brown bottles to help with the gas. I swaddle and keep her upright and hold her an hour after feeding.

I know lots of mom's with totally happy and healthy children who were colicky babies and there is an end to this, everyday is different and it won't last forever, but it is difficult.  The hours of trying to comfort your baby and not being able to put her down or eat, or do much else, can wear you down.

• abundancenow; 

Its hard to remind yourself that it will eventually pass for sure. I also too find it hard to understand colic. Especially since there are so many different symptoms you look for that could seem so much like they're gassy because of it. Or that LO is hungry because of it. So confusing. :P 

Here's too hopefully not any of us having much longer to deal with it. :)
  • my baby was going through the same thing :(( he was born on 7/22 the symptoms started two weeks after and I was breastfeeding and a couple formula bottles at the time. he was really fussy and would cry a lot at night between 1am till 5am. I switched to a different formula, my doctor recommended mylicon, I bought colic calm at babies r us and nothing seemed to help so I completely stopped the formula and give my baby 1/2 oz of chamomile tea at night before his bath and now he's a happy baby that went from being uncomfortable and grunting all day to smiles every time he's awake and sleeping through the night.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"