Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Grunting & snorting at night

For the most part our first stretch of sleep at night is pretty good & restful for all of us, however, after our first middle of the night feeding DD makes so many noises while sleeping.  She grunts, snorts, and wiggles around, even while her eyes are completely closed.  I have her in a co-sleeper so I don't get any sleep because I hear every noise she makes.  I have tried using the nose freida, we have tried swaddling with both arms in & arms out, and I have tried holding her upright for a while after feeding during the night in case she is having some reflux.  Any ideas why she is making so much noise & any solutions?

She is 3 weeks old & this started at about 1.5 weeks.

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Grunting & snorting at night

• My LO is 10 weeks and he does the same thing with the grunting. I haven't figured out why. We swaddle him and he sleeps in his crib though, so I just turn the volume down on the monitor. He'll thrash his head from side to side and grunt with his eyes shut, then stop and go back to sleep. I've found that he does it less when it's warmer in his room, so maybe he's chilly, I don't know. I think it's perfectly normal though. Are you burping really good before you put him down? The snorting could be from a little bit of reflux. I'm not a doc though so don't take my word for it :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We use a white noise machine to help cover up some of the noises.  Honestly, I couldn't take it myself, though, and DD was in her room by 3 weeks because of this.  I can't be a good mom if I can't get sleep and not being able to fall back asleep after the MOTN feeding wasn't doing anyone any good.
  • Loading the player...
  • This is totally normal.  Newborns are LOUD!  We used a white noise machine for awhile, then finally moved LO into his own room at around 4 weeks.  I still have the monitor on very low, and play white noise to cover up his little grunts and squeaks.
  • Mine is so loud! He is always wiggling and making noises it is so hard to sleep after that nighttime feeding.  I know it will be better when he goes in his own room, but I am not ready for that yet. 
  • This post made me 'LOL' my 5 week old daughter went through a few days of doing this!! No idea why buy wowww... was she loud!! ha ha xx maybe its just a phase? also, the odd occasion my daughter was thrashing around i picked her up to see if she needed winding and she did a huge burp ! maybe try winding? My LO is very gassy tho x
  • I asked about the grunting at the 2 month checkup and dr said it sounded like reflux and prescribed Zantac. Baby sleeps so much better now - went from 3-4 hour stretches and now does 7-9 and no grunting. Definitely talk to your ped as the grunting with arched back is a symptom of reflux. We sleep much better too now that she's quiet. She was clearly uncomfortable and unable to get the sleep she needed due to it so I think the benefit of the medicine is worth it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"