Stay at Home Moms

If you have Mirena after kids...

how is your sex life?  I haven't been on BC for about 4.5 years.  I used the pill faithfully until I wanted to get off to get pregnant.  Never had any issues with the pill.  I finally decided to go back on and my sex life crashed!  Off the pill I would want sex a few times a week.  On the pill, I didn't care if I ever had sex.  I'm looking into Mirena and wanted to know how it affected others.  My OB said it might not affect my sex drive since it's lower hormones.  I'd also have to wait at least 6 months to give it time to work before I decided if I want to take it out.  So, did the Mirena post-baby affect you one way or another?  Any other Mirena stories or advice?  TIA!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: If you have Mirena after kids...

• No advice re Mirena, but have you tried switching to a different pill, maybe with a lower hormone level? I had to switch a few times before I found one that didn't give me any side effects...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have had the mirena in for 4 months now and it hasn't effected my sex drive so far. But it does effect everyone differently.

• Loading the player...
  • I've had Mirena after both boys. 3 years the first time and almost a year this time.

I don't know if it's affected my sex life too much. I think prepregnancy I was a once or twice a week girl and after it's about the same. There are times that it's more like once or twice a month but that can be just a not STTN baby talking.

I do love it because I don't ever have to think about it. I used to be great about taking the pill and after Will I thought I would go back to that because we weren't sure if we were done or not. I couldn't remember to take the dang thing! Mirena is much more reliable for me. I also don't have any of the side effects that people often complain about and I never have my period! It did hurt like a bitch to get placed this time probably because it was done 5 months PP and when I had it done after Jack it was 6 weeks PP so things may have still been a bit looser.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TTC Baby Rob #1 05/07, BFP 06/07, EDD 02/22/08, Baby Jackaroo born via c-section after 22 hours of labor on 02/27/08
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC Baby Rob #2 06/11 BFP 11/06/11 EDD 07/16/12 Natural M/C 11/25/11 @ 6w3d
    Baby Rob #2 (Sloane), in our hearts always.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Here comes Baby Rob #3
     BFP on Cycle 17 09/27/12. EDD 06/04/12! Please Stick Baby! A/S 01/22/13 Baby looking great. Officially TEAM BLUE! Jack is getting a Baby Brother! RCS scheduled for 05/29/13. William Daryll born at 9:59am on 05/29/13. Left ovary and tube removed due to peach sized tumor found during RCS. Pathology came back benign!

• MomIn2013 said:
    No advice re Mirena, but have you tried switching to a different pill, maybe with a lower hormone level? I had to switch a few times before I found one that didn't give me any side effects...
    I thought about switching pills.  But the thought of going back and forth between pills seems tiring.  Last time it took about a year until I really found a pill I was happy with.  Plus, I'm pretty sure we are done with expanding our family.  So I would like a more permanent solution that can still be reversable if need be.

•  I had the sex drive issue on the pill, too, and it was really bad. I tried the ring b/c supposedly the hormones are more directly applied and less likely to have side effects, but I hated that, and it didn't help. I don't want to go back on any hormonal birth control, personally.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • It's really hard for me to say yes or no since I had it inserted 8 weeks PP. My sex drive has lowered, but I can't really say if it's due to now being a parent or Mirena. I will say, I really do like Mirena all in all.
  • edited September 2014
    I would not get mirena again. I didn't notice a change in my sex drive but getting it removed was traumatizing. When they say your period comes back with a vengeance, they're not kidding. It was worse than PP bleeding. Don't want to tell scare stories or whatever but it's the truth and I really wouldn't ever get it again.
  • You could look into paraguard (non hormonal IUD) too. My dr said I was a good candidate because my periods have never been long or heavy. I can't vouch for it yet as I haven't gotten around to having it inserted.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Mlc10811 said:
    Lurker from Aug13, here! :-h Just wanted to let you know that you dont have to wait 6 months to have it removed. I had mine removed at my 6 week string check due to the constant headaches it was giving me (which inevitably lead to less sex). But as pp have mentioned, everyone reacts differently. Its just something you won't know until you try.
    You're right @Mlc10811.  I don't have to wait 6 months.  But that's how long my OB said to try it to see how my body adjusts to it.  If I was having a headache problem, I would have them remove it way before that too.  I know I won't know anything til I try.  I'm just not looking forward to 6 months of no sex drive if I can help it.  At least DH has been warned.  

• Hi! I've been lurking for a while as I'm new to being a SAHM but I wanted to jump in. I got mirena after my DS was born in 2009. I had it for 4 years before having it removed last November when my DH and I decided to ttc again. I loved it! No side effects and no decreased sex drive. I did spot on and off for the first month but after that nothing. Baby #4 due in Feb and I will definitely get another once we decide our family is complete. Good luck!
  • I'm getting it tomorrow. We have our first kid free vacation planned for next week. After reading all of this I'm a bit nervous. I'd hate to feel bad on our trip. Should I wait until next month?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"