October 2012 Moms
Options

HFM When to go back to daycare

Elijah has hand foot and mouth. He had a fever Monday and started getting sores on Tuesday. His fever has been gone since Tuesday night, but he still has sores.

Our pediatrician says he is fine to go back to daycare since his fever is gone. However the director of the daycare says his sores have to be healed.

Is my doctor wrong?

Re: HFM When to go back to daycare

• Options
    I don't think pedi is wrong, but DC and schools tend to err on the side of caution. How would you feel if you saw your kid's class full of HFM rashes, kwim? Probably just DC policy.

After 7 years of no ovulation...
    BFP#1 10/24/11 ~ EDD 6/29/12 ~ Natural m/c 11/2/11
    BFP#2 2/3/12 ~ Alice born 9/26/12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Oct Angel Babies
  • Options
    I have heard various things--once the fever is gone, once no new blisters are appearing, once the sores have scabbed over...I'm guessing your DC means that the sores have to be scabbed over, because it can take a while for them to disappear completely--like 1-2 weeks. I can't imagine they expect you to hold him out for that long. 

Anniversary

TTC #2 since July 2014
    BFP 9/27/14
    MMC discovered 10/27/14, D&C 11/4/14
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    When Wesley had it I had to keep out of daycare until his fever and open sores/rash was gone. He missed a week of daycare and the director let him back the following Monday with a small rash but no sores or fever. But my pedi said that he was contagious with open sores even if his fever is gone. Hope its over soon for you.

• Options
    He doesn't have blisters just red dots. I think he only got a mild case.
  • Options

In case helpful to anyone else: after a day of lethargy and a night of sleeplessness (literally NO sleep between 10:30pm and 4:00am) the spots appeared.  Dr confirmed HFM.  She said keep the kid hydrated, okay if he doesn't want solids but he needs to be drinking a lot, transmitted through saliva so no classes this week (to protect him from getting something else and other kids from getting it) but rash doesn't transmit, ibuprofen if we want to.  ARGH.  Poor kiddo.  I kinda just thought he was being a pain last night and now I feel terrible.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"