July 2012 Moms

Cruising with Toddlers

Has anyone taken their LO on a cruise? DH and I have cruised before but not with kids yet. I just booked a cruise for us for December since my parents are going and I thought we'd tag along so at least we'll have a few extra set of hands if we need it! (plus I'm dying for a vacation)  I'm hoping they'll be potty trained by then so they can enjoy the pool and water areas.  Looking for tips if anyone has any! What did you do for sleeping arrangements? My LO's are still in cribs but I'm not sure if they'll fit in the tiny cribs on the cruise.  How did naps go? Did you bring a stroller?  Any sea sickness? 

Re: Cruising with Toddlers

• We went with Veronica in May. She was very good most of the time. She got very tired on those days when we took her on the island and did not want to do the "formal" dinners, so all our dressed up pictures ended up with her whining and making this face, like we torturing her. Ha-ha.

She slept in a tiny crib just fine. The naps were not easy, because of all the excitement she would not nap, so most of the days we would just spend couple of hours in dark room with her jumping excitedly in the playpen.

The ship we went on had a cool splash pad that she enjoyed. We took the stroller, it was a must when boarding and disembarking, but we did not really used it on the ship or on the islands.

None of us have any sea sickness this time.

Your kids will have a great time, I am sure.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I was wondering the same thing. H and I love to go on cruises as it is an easy way to see a lot of places. We are thinking of doing a cruise soon but a bit hesitant because of LO's age.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the input @lkamenko!  I can just picture my two refusing to nap as well. We took a short vacation a few months ago and they cried every time we came back to the hotel room.  They didn't want to miss out on any fun!
  • Oh, and with toilet training - we went on the cruise with  my son right after he was toilet trained (he was 2 and a half years old then) and did not bring a potty with us, I thought he would be ok if I just hold him over the toilet. Bad idea- he was so terrified with the loud flash that he refused to go potty there and I had to put a pamper on him. So bring the potty!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• We've got one booked for October and I am anxious about how it will go, too.  She's definitely not going to be trained by then, though.  :-/

We're bringing my mom, and the 4 year old, of course, so we're actually getting a big suite with two bedrooms and a living room.  We're hoping that helps with the nap situation. 

One tip I read about is to bring a tiny blow up pool if you have a balcony.  It at least gives the little guys something to splash in if you're in your cabin and don't want to haul everyone up to the pool deck. 

We're bringing an umbrella stroller for shore excursions. 

• @wonderjess the suites sound great. I only saw one bedroom suites on this ship but two bedrooms would have been ideal! We're in an ocean view since I didn't think we'd spend much time in the cabins, but that sounds like a good idea for use of the balcony.  I might switch if I can find a good deal from now till then. 

@chipmunk112511 I'd love to do a Disney cruise too! There's one coming to the port near us fall 2015 also so we might try that one if this year's goes well. I bet they will love it. 

• We took a cruise with O when he was 1, with my in-laws. It worked out well- they were willing to sit with him at night sometimes so we could go out. We just had a regular room plus balcony, so we'd put him down and then sit outside until he fell asleep. We had our stroller for excursions.
  • We are going on celebrity in May, so we will have 2.5 year old and 1.5 year old. We are going to bermuda and I am really looking forward to it. My aunt is getting married that week so we have a lot of family going too. I am still nervous though bc celebrity does not look very kid friendly. I plan on having Logan sleep on the pull out couch at that point.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"