Pregnant after IF
Options

For those who have or are having girls

Have you looked into IF affecting your lo? We are having a girl and I've been wondering if there are any tests you could do to check for IF? Having walked this path, I really hope my lo doesn't have to go through this and I guess I'd like to be prepared in advance, if possible. Guess I'm wondering what your thoughts are on the subject and if you've done any research on it?

*May Siggy Challenge - Parenting Fails*

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: For those who have or are having girls

• Options
    I guess this could also apply to boys as well actually ..

• Options
    I don't know the gender of my babies yet, but I have thought about this.  I have also read that the very first baby ever conceived via IVF and her sister, also conceived via IVF have both given birth to babies without having any medical assistance with conception.

I think it's a misconception that children of parents with fertility issues will automatically inherit those issues.  I suppose, depending on the cause of infertility, it's possible that there might be a genetic link that can be passed on.  However, I believe there are so many different causes for IF and different factors contributing to IF, that you really can't predict that a problem will be passed on.

Do you know the cause of your infertility?  If you're "reason unknown" like so many of us, I don't think you'll find any answers for DD either.

*** Ticker Warning ***

Me: 37, DH: 39, TTC 5 yrs

2013 summary: Diagnosed with Hypothyroid; Cervical polyp removed (benign); 
    2 rounds ovidrel with timed intercourse (no result): 3 rounds IUI with clomid + ovidrel (no result)
    2014 summary (to date):
    IVF cycle 1 - ER: 4/17 (28 follicles, 3 fertilized, 2 survived to day 3);
    ET: 4/20 (3rd day, 2 embryos - 1 @ 6 cells & 1 @ 4 cells); Beta 5/1 - BFP!; 
    1st scan 5/13 - development behind, no heartbeat detected; D&C 6/2; WTF 6/13
    IVF cycle 2 - BCP begun 7/12; stims w/ HGH begun 7/26; 
    ER: 8/6, 12 follicles, 7 fertilized w/ ICSI; ET: 8/11, 3 blastocysts left, 2 transferred, 3rd arrested 8/12 - none to freeze :'(
    1st beta 8/19 - BFP! 294; 2nd beta 8/26 - 4976; 1st u/s 9/2; 2nd u/s 9/9 - two little heartbeats at 140 each!!! 
    EDD: 29-April-2015
    Other Meds: Synthroid 100 mcg/daily

imageimageimage
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I used donor eggs so my girls aren't getting my crappy ovarian cancer gene. But most IF isn't hereditary. If you had premature menopause and it runs in your family, maybe freezing eggs for a daughter is a good idea. But it's impossible to say what advances in medicine etc will be in 20+ years when our daughter may want to get pregnant.

TTC #1 since 8/1/10; Me:41 and BRCA1+, DH:46
    DOR (FSH 24.3)/ terrible egg quality ; homozygous MTHFR c677t
    5 IUI's: 2/11 to 6/11 and 1/12= BFN
    OE IVF#1-4 8/11-6/12= all BFN
    DE IVF#1 11/12 bad embryos= BFN
    DE IVF #2 2/13 BFP/Beta hell: m/c 5w6d
    CFNBC 7 months, not doing well; decided on guarantee program at RBA w/frozen DE
    DE IVF #3 1/14  ET 4BB; BFP;M/C 5w1d, incomplete m/c; MVA extraction in ER 7w1d

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!
    First u/s= Twins with HBs at 6w2d! We are Team Pink x 2!!

K & K born 11/21/14 at 38wks 4 days

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

http://waitingforraintostop.wordpress.com

• Options
    When the time comes we will be very open.  I have some blood issues that they need to know about, and I need to research other things like is DOR hereditary for our little girl,  and we had pretty bad MFI that our little boy needs to know about.

Hopefully they won't have to experience IF, but I feel if they know they were conceived with IVF it might be easier for them to come to us with questions they may have later on.

~~~~~~~~~Siggy Warning~~~~~~~~

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
    3-16-2012 D&C/Miscarriage.
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    Diminished Ovarian Reserve   
    MFI - Sperm Morphology 2%.  
    MTHFR 
     Abnormal Antiphospholipid Antibodies
    April 2013 ~  1st IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    May 2013  ~ 2nd IUI attempt -100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    June 2013 ~ 3rd IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid+ Trigger+ Progesterone~BFN
     IVF/ICSI #1 May 2014 ~ Freeze All ~ Due to OHSS
     5/1/2014 ~ 22 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 3 frozen
    5/28/2014 ~ FET#1 ~ Transferred 2 Hatching Blasts
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099
    6/16/2014 Beta #3 ~ >5000
    6/19/2014 First U/S ~ TWINS!!!  
    1/7/2015 Twins born @ 34 weeks

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I will certainly educate my children on our infertility struggles (whether we struggle for #2 when the time comes or not).  It may be something they consider as they get older, but I will also make it abundantly clear that it is NOT an excuse to use any less protection when they do engage in sexual activity.  Exactly when you don't want a pregnancy seems to be when it's most likely to happen if you aren't safe.

I don't think most causes of infertility are hereditary, except perhaps for PCOS, fibroids, and POF.  None of those are issues for me, but my Mom had cysts and fibroids so any daughter of mine will know that in case it ever becomes relevant.

Even still, the old truth that the only way to diagnose infertility is to try for a full year is still true for children of those with infertility.  There is absolutely no way to know if your child will be infertile until they actually try to conceive.

Mostly I just hope to educate them in general on the range of experiences people have. 
    ************************SIGGY WARNING***********************

Me: 29      DH:  32
    Off birth control March 2012 - Actively trying Sept 2012-April 2014
    Unexplained Infertility
    BFP on May 5th after Follistim & IUI #3
    Ryan Henry - born 1/10/15, 7 lb 5 oz, 20 1/4 inches

NTNP for a sibling starting March 2015
    Waiting on cycle to resume while EBF

imageimage

• Options
    To clarify, we also used donor eggs. And we don't know much about our donor medically due to local laws (abroad) and we are fine with that. I guess my concerns are less, is it hereditary and more like this affects 1 out of (I think something like) 1000 couples. I was just wondering if there was anyway to be on the lookout for it. Any testing that could be done in advance. So that we know what's coming up in the future - maybe setting aside some money for IF specifically, etc. And I know the technology and understanding of IF will change in the next 20+ years but I guess there's a part of me that wants to do more to be prepared.

• Options
    I've also read mixed information about what sort of IF issues can be passed down and what cannot.  But in general, most IF issues are not hereditary.  The only thing I remember (since I have AMH and E2 problems) is that a few sites said E2 deficiency during pregnancy can lead to DOR problems...but some doctors didn't agree with that, so who knows.  

Either way, I at least feel good that I know way more about fertility than most parents, so we can help educate our kids appropriately.

Me 33, DH 37 -- TTC since Jan'12 -- Low AMH (0.78) & endo, SA w/ low motility
    IUI's 1-3 = BFN, IVF converted to IUI 4/13 = BFN
    IVF 1.2: 8R 6M 4F -- 2 blastocysts frozen, FET 8/15 = BFP!!
    Beta #s = 445;1,098; 9,545  -- EDD 5/2 -- Team Pink!
    Camila Josephine arrived 4/30 :)
  • Options
    MargritliMargritli member
    edited September 2014
    Our MFI is due to a microdeletion on the Y-chromosome, which means that 100% of male offspring with inherit IF. The thought of passing on our IF was really devastating at first. We considered PGD at the beginning for this reason, but decided against it for several reasons: 
    1. It is impossible to know what medical advances will be made in the next 30 - 40 years, which may make new therapies available. 
    2. We were uncomfortable with the idea of gender selection, which is what PGD would have come down to in our case. 
    3. There are many ways to lead a fulfilling life. Some with kids, some without. Maybe potential sons of ours will not even want to have children. And the hypothetical question posed to DH, "Would you rather have not been born than to have been born with this condition?" Clear answer: NO. 

We don't know the genders of our little beans yet, but boys or girls, we will be open with them about our struggles when the time comes. It is important for me that they grow up accepting the idea that families are build in lots of ways, which for me includes LGBT families, single-parent families, families created through adoption, families built through 3rd party reproduction. I think this diversity is beautiful and want my children be exposed to this, too. "The old-fashion way" is only one way of building a family. IVF is another. I think if it is treated as a fact of life, it makes it easier to accept. 

We will also not wait until our children are adults, but rather tell them early so that they can make career and life decisions armed with this knowledge. I think my DH and I would have been better equipped to face IF had we found out sooner, because we would have made crucial decisions very differently, knowing that we might never have children. 

Me: 28, DH: 35
    DX: Severe MFI, AZFc Microdeletion
    TTC since August 2011
    IVF w/ ICSI 1: Dec. 2013 - BFN
    FET 1.2: Mar. 2014 - BFN
    FET 1.3: May 2014 - BFN
    FET 1.4: June 2014 - BFP
    Two little buns in the oven. 
    Bake until March 2015, little ones. 

"Life will be clearer around me.
     Life will be more burdensome for me. 
    Life will be richer for me." 
    -Rudolf Steiner
  • Options
    MargritliMargritli member
    edited September 2014
    Forgot to add: We will be starting an IVF fund if it turns out that we are having boys, so that we can help them with potential IF costs, which hopefully by the time they are so old will be covered by insurance here. 

Obviously, this is something we have talked and thought a lot about. 

Me: 28, DH: 35
    DX: Severe MFI, AZFc Microdeletion
    TTC since August 2011
    IVF w/ ICSI 1: Dec. 2013 - BFN
    FET 1.2: Mar. 2014 - BFN
    FET 1.3: May 2014 - BFN
    FET 1.4: June 2014 - BFP
    Two little buns in the oven. 
    Bake until March 2015, little ones. 

"Life will be clearer around me.
     Life will be more burdensome for me. 
    Life will be richer for me." 
    -Rudolf Steiner
  • Options
    happygirl1013happygirl1013 member
    edited September 2014
    My DH and I spoke about this because it's a concern for me. I don't want my little girl to suffer through undiagnosed pcos like I did. We plan on having out radar up big time for the warning signs when she gets close to puberty. I think awareness is half the battle, and we will be super sensitive to warning signs. As for my husbands issues, we sat down and spoke to his sister and her husband about their little boy (he's only 19 months). Because my dh and his sister have the same parents, therefore similar genetics, we wanted to do the right thing by providing them warning signs for what to look for when their kids enters puberty. I think we are one of the first generations that actually talks about infertility because it isn't taboo anymore. A do as long as we spread awareness to our families, hopefully the future generations won't have to go through (or at least as bad) the suffering or ambiguity we did of not knowing what is happening with our bodies or going undiagnosed.

IVF #1 Oct 2013- cancelled 
    IVF #2 Mar 2014- success.... baby girl born 11/28/14
    FET #1 Mar 2016- baby boy due 12/16/16

• Options

For me, my condition is hereditary. My mother had endo and had trouble conceiving both my brother and me. I am horribly scared about giving this awful condition to my daughter. Actually, the second thing I thought after we found out we were having a girl was me praying like mad that she wouldn't suffer like I have.

The only blessing for her is that I've been through it and I understand what to look for earlier on with endo, whereas my mom didn't know because not as much was known about the condition when I was a teenager and suffering.

I guess it depends on what your specific diagnosis is as to whether it can be passed down or not. Hopefully, it won't be a concern for many of you, as most issues aren't hereditary.

BabyFruit Ticker

ttc #2 since 2004 Me (35): Stage 3 Endo, DH (34): High DNA Frag

IVF/ICSI #2: April 2014: BFP!!!!!!

ET of 2 great quality embryos. + BFP on 9dp5dt. Beta #1 (10dp5dt): 257, Beta #2 (14dp5dt): 1561,

Beta #3 (21dp5d5): 8,172. Wow. It seems this is actually working. Shocked beyond belief.

1st u/s @6w5d: Baby A hb 124, Baby B hb 127 (Both measuring perfectly!)

Lost baby A. Praying that baby B stays healthy. Baby B hb 175 at 11 weeks

It's a GIRL!!!

imageimageimage

My Blog

• Options
    I worry about MFI if we have a son. Our RE said that my husband's MFI is genetic. What that would mean for our son, I don't know. But we would be very open and honest about our struggles with our children. Both my mother and sister have pretty bad endo, which I managed to escape. Neither of them had any trouble with conceiving but I will make my future daughter aware. At the very least, we will make them aware of potential issues.

********Siggy/Ticker Warning***********

Me (35) no known issues DH (37) MFI. TTC 21 months (24 cycles)
    Dx MFI with low to normal count, low motility, morphology 3%
    HSG normal, ultrasound and labs on me all normal. 

1 cycle of Clomid 50mg and TI, unmonitored by OBGYN= BFN
    1 cycle of Clomid 50mg and IUI, unmonitored by OBGYN= BFN
    Started seeing an RE!!
    2 more cycles of clomid 50mg (great response), with IUI and Pregnyl trigger (4.8-8 mil good ones after wash) = all BFN
    1 cycle of clomid 50mg (3-7) followed by Follistim 75iu (7-11) + IUI = BFN
    December 2013 DH saw urologist and is taking Anastrozole, CoQ10, and L-Carnitine
    IUI #5 natural cycle (needed a med break) = BFN
    IUI #6 Follistim 75iu (CD3-10) + Pregnyl (CD11) + IUI (final count after wash 300K) = BFN
    IUI #7 Follistim 75iu (CD3-9) + Pregnyl (CD11) + IUI on 2/20 (post wash count 12.5 million)= BFN
    IUI cancelled (DH OOT) Clomid 50mg (CD3-7) 1 follicle +(not well timed) TI = BFN
    IUI #8 and last one!! Clomid 100mg (CD3-7) +OPK before US + IUI 4/17 (post wash 8.5 mil)= BFN

Pre-IVF testing complete! SHG great and measurements taken! Labs for infectious diseases completed, FSH (5.4), TSH (1.6), Prolactin (11), AMH (2.6), Estradiol (40).

Started BCP 5/29 and Lupron 6/11 prep for IVF #1! Started follistim 225u/day on 6/28. Monitoring on 7/2 >15 follicles measuring 11-14, E2 758. Monitoring on 7/5 all ready to go!! Great follicle sizes and lining is at 9. Tigger 7/5, ER 7/7 16R 9M 3F. Stimmed too fast in just 7 days. 7/10 3dt of 2 8-cell grade 2 & 4. 7/14 P4 >60.
    Holy crap BFP!!!
    Beta #1 (14dpo) 7/21 112 Beta #2 (16dpo) 7/23 286 a Beta #3 (18dpo) 7/25 761 Beta #4 (21dpo) 2631!!! Hold on tight little embies!!
      First Ultrasound 8/7- 1 perfect little bean with a beating heart 117bpm!! EDD 3/30.
    Second ultrasound 9/2 Little bean measuring a few days ahead with a heart rate of 161!

PAIF/SAIF/All Welcome!

Pregnancy Ticker

March 15 Siggy Challenge: You had one job

• Options
    Honestly, I haven't thought about this, but our IF was due to mild MFI and probably our age.
    TTC since May/June 2012 
    Sept 2013 testing:
    SA #1 Low motility (17%) 
    SA #2 Lower sperm count, but much higher motility
    CD 3 Bloodwork and ultrasound - Normal HSG - Clear tubes 
    Oct/Nov 2013 Cycle 1 with RE 50 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI BFN  
    Nov/Dec 2013 Cycle 2 with RE 50 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI BFN 
    Jan/Feb 2014 Cycle 3 with RE 50 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI BFN 
    2/20/14 Follow up consult RE recommends IVF with ICSI 
    3/10/14 New patient consult with RMA NJ 
    3/11/14 AMH and other Bloodwork to prep for IVF with ICSI at RMA NJ
    3/28/14 Saline Sonogram - All good
    March/April 2014 IVF #1 Antagonist Protocol
    BCP/Bravelle/Menopur/Ganirelix
    4/16/14 ER 26 Retrieved!!!
    4/17/14 Fert Report 22 Mature 21 Fertilized w/ ICSI
    4/22/14 Report #2 15 BLASTS
    5/24/14 FET!!!  (Transferring 2 snowflakes)
    6/2/14 Beta #1 575!!! :)
    6/4/14 Beta #2 2060!!! :)
    6/11/14 1st Ultrasound...Saw 2 Gestational Sacs!!  Beta #3 34,312!!! 
    6/18/14 2nd Ultrasound...Heartbeats!! Baby A 112bpm Baby B 117bmp <3 Beta #4 172,080!!!
    6/25/14 3rd Ultrasound...Heartbeats!! Baby A 150bpm Baby B 158bpm <3 Beta #5 232,134!!! 
    7/3/14 4th Ultrasound...Heartbeats!! Baby A 173bpm Baby B 162bpm <3 Beta #6 269,228!!!
    Graduated from RMA!!  First appt with OB 7/8/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image image
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I definitely worry about this since one of my main issues was my Endo and it is hereditary. My maternal grandmother had to have a hysterectomy at 26 due to Endo and my mother had one at 40 for the same reason.  I was really frustrated that this information wasn't given to me sooner about my family history. I definitely will tell my LO about it early enough that she can be proactive since I wasn't given that choice.

**************SIGGY WARNING**************

BLOG

Me 32 :: DH 41

TTC since November, 2011

DH's SA : Excellent

Lap and Hysteroscopy June 2012

DX: PCOS, Stage III Endo, slight Adenomyosis, blocked tube, and probable LPD

Treatments:  6 Months Lupron Depot injections; 1500 mg metformin; 3 cycles of Clomid + TI = BFN

3 endometrial biopsies all were "out of phase" 

September - December, 2013:  Break to lose weight and get healthy

40 lb weight loss but still not ovulating "in phase"  

February - March 2014: bcps + follistim + trigger + TI = BFP

Beta #1 (12dpo): 30; Beta #2 (18dpo): 500; Beta #3 (25dpo): 7,000!!! 

1st u/s 4/16: One beautiful hb at 144 bmp 

2nd u/s 4/29: hb at 166 bmp.  Graduated from RE!!

TEAM PINK! 

Baby girl arrived on Thanksgiving day weighing 7lbs 6oz and measuring 20 inches

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    We have a girl AND a boy. I'm not concerned about our girl having IF issues (at least not the kind we had) since we were MFI. As for DH's issues, we don't know what caused them. It was kind of unexplained, so I guess it might affect our son, but I'm not sure there's anything we can do about it or look out for. 

N14 Nov. Siggy: CELEBRATION!

image image
    TTC since 2011
    Aug. - Sept. 2013 - dIUIs = BFNs
    January 2014 - IVF = 3 freezer babies
    March 2014 - FET of AA and AB blast = BFP! Twins! 
    Nov. 7, 2014 - Wilhelmina "Willa" Suzanne (4lb 14oz) and Ari Jose (6lb 4oz) were born via CS
    image image

image image image image 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

@ttuprincess I told my DH that I wanted to be open early on and even mention freezing her eggs early in her 20's...he thinks I'm nuts, but I'm very serious! I'd even pay since the guilt I'd have from passing it on would be immense.

BabyFruit Ticker

ttc #2 since 2004 Me (35): Stage 3 Endo, DH (34): High DNA Frag

IVF/ICSI #2: April 2014: BFP!!!!!!

ET of 2 great quality embryos. + BFP on 9dp5dt. Beta #1 (10dp5dt): 257, Beta #2 (14dp5dt): 1561,

Beta #3 (21dp5d5): 8,172. Wow. It seems this is actually working. Shocked beyond belief.

1st u/s @6w5d: Baby A hb 124, Baby B hb 127 (Both measuring perfectly!)

Lost baby A. Praying that baby B stays healthy. Baby B hb 175 at 11 weeks

It's a GIRL!!!

imageimageimage

My Blog

• Options
    I inherited PCOS from my mother, while she had all the symptoms and the dx she did not suffer from IF as her dr predicted she would, I was not so lucky. My sister did not inherit it, so I know if I have a girl it is not a guarantee that she will have it, but I will definitely pay attention to any warning signs...obviously I cannot prevent it, but I will make sure that she has all the knowledge and support she needs to make decisions...i did not have this support from my mother as she kept telling me not to worry since she had no problems she assumed I'd have no problem. My mother also experienced early menopause, so we possibly have that to contend with too - my daughter will definitely be informed about IF before she is even thinking of starting a family so she has all of the information and is prepared.
    *** SIGGY WARNING ***

Happily Married Since 10.2006  •  TTC since 07.2012
    HSG Good & SA mostly Normal  •  DX lean PCOS
    MAR - NOV 2013  •  5 Cycles Clomid + TI = 2 Late O's/BFN & 3 Big Fat FAILS
    DEC 2013 - FEB 2014  •  IUI #1-3  •  Femara 5mg + Trigger = 3 BFNs
    MAR 2014  •  IUI #4  •  Follistim + Trigger + Crinone = BFN
    APR 2014  •  Benched  •  BCPs to clear up Cysts

MAY 2014  •  IUI #5  •  Follistim + Ganirelix + Trigger = BFP
    E.D.D. 2/18/2015
    6/11 +HPT • 6/13 BETA 447 • 6/16 BETA 1535
    6/23 U/S Adorable Little Bean • 6/30 U/S Beautiful Strong Heartbeat

• Options
    SKLHSKLH member
    edited September 2014
    I've thought of this several times... I even brought it up to DH recently. HOnestly, if my endometriosis does get passed to her, at least I know what to do to help her. I WILL say I started with BADDDDDD cramps to the point that I needed to miss school when I was in 6th grade however NO doctor even thought of endometriosis or talked to me about it until I was married and TTC for over a year. By then, the endo had completely destroyed my tubes. Years of damange! Now I know what to look for in my daughter. Other than that, not much else I can do!
    Me (28) DH (32)  Endometriosis                                                                                   IVF  #1 (1/2013) - 17 Retrieved, 16 Mature, 14 Fertilized- 2 transferred- BFN
    FET #1 (7/2013) - 2 embryos - BFN
    FET #2 (9/2013) - 2 emrbyos - BFN
    New RE. Fresh Start
    IVF  #2 (2/2014) - 25 Retrieved, 19 Mature, 16 Fertilized, 9 blasts.
                                 CGH Testing: 6 Normal
    FET #3 (4/2014) -1 embryo -  BFP! Beta#1: 35 Beta #2: 16 :(
    FET #4 (5/2014) -1 embryo -  BFP! Beta#1: 321!!! Beta #2: 727.9!
    6/5/2014 Heartbeat! 144bpm It's a girl!
    Due January!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"