November 2014 Moms

What to ask when interviewing doulas?

The title says it all- I'm interviewing some doulas this weekend, all initial over the phone interviews and in wondering what questions I should ask? Any advice/experience?

So far, I'm planning to ask about their experience generally and at my hospital/ with my practice, how they keep DH involved (my fear is that they'd 'replace' him), and what they do if they disagree with how the doctor is handling or evaluating the situation.
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: What to ask when interviewing doulas?

• Ask about all things important to you :). You've got a great start! 

Here's some things I asked:

Price & when it's all due (usually a % down payment then the rest by 36w)
    What services are included 
    What is in their doula bag
    If they charge for false alarms (yea, some do :/)
    If they're willing to come to your house while you labor, before going to the hospital
    How many births they've attended, and if they've attended any situations specific to yours (like I'm having a vbac, so that was important for me to ask)

Good luck! The most important part is which doula gives you that vibe, on phone and in person, that makes you just comfortable with them. Ya know? 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFetus Ticker  
    Ashley, DH: Paul
    Angel Baby: March 09
    #1-BFP: 11.17.09~EDD: 7.21.10~Tristan born 7.13.10 via unnecessary c-sec
    #2-BFP: 3.17.14~EDD: 11.28.14~ It's A Girl!~Shooting for a VBAC
                        Image and video hosting by TinyPic image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I got a list of questions from www.bellybelly.com.au It was helpful as something to think about but when I actually interviewed the doula we just talked. She actually covered most of the questions in her self-introduction. For me it was more about who I thought I could be comfortable working with.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I just hired one today! I also felt like she answered a lot of my questions just in the course of conversation. Some things I was curious about were how she'd handle both hospital staff and ME if either of us wanted to veer from the birth plan, as well as logistical stuff like would she come to my home first, how many visits and what else the fee included, availability of a back-up doula just in case... In the end though they are going to be with you during a very intimate time so pick someone you feel comfortable and a connection with. I interviewed a few in person and "liked" a couple of them but really loved the one I decided to go with. Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I interviewed a couple today and I have one more tomorrow. The suggestions above were great, so thank you. I think I will have a hard time deciding. I liked them all!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think people have covered good questions and I will second the idea that you should go with the person you feel most comfortable. I had a hard time choosing and ended up with the one I wanted to be friends with…even though she was also the most expensive.

It has paid off though, she was also the most experienced and everyone I talk to (baby or pregnancy related) knows her…which is kind of cool because she gives great referrals and is well respected in the community. 
    TTC 3/2012; IUI 2/26/14; EDD 11/23/14; DD born 11/21/14!!!
  • It was important to me what happens if she has more than one birth at once, who her backups are! Chose the one that felt most motherly and me comfy enough to strip down or be vulnerable with. We spent more on one with a lot of experience and reviews.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"