Stay at Home Moms

How would you have reacted?

This may get long, so I apologize in advance.

We were all at Chuck E Cheese tonight (yeah, I know...) and DD, who is 2.5, was playing one of those games where all these little plastic balls roll out and she has to throw them at targets. This other little boy who was around her age came over and just started playing too. DD didn't seem to mind, so we let him play, and there was no adult around that seemed to be watching him.

The game ended, but there were still balls in the well. The little boy grabbed a couple, and when he and DD both reached for the third at the same time, he grabbed her with both hands around her throat and started pushing her back. She looked terrified. My H was the closest to them, and he immediately yelled "NO! You do NOT choke her!" and pulled him off of her. Of course, this is when mom shows up. She started to get angry, but my husband just said "Your kid was choking my daughter." She didn't apologize, just said "He didn't mean it" and "You shouldn't yell at him."

My H was livid, and I was angry, but I told him that he still has to realize that the kid was a toddler. He asked how I expected him to react. Rationally, I know one of us should have removed his hands and just firmly told him no, then found his mother. Realistically, had I been closer and seen it first, I probably would've done exactly what my H did.

So, what do you think? How would you want to react, and how do you think you would actually react?

Also, I'm not crazy thinking that two handed choking is way outside the realm of normal for a toddler, right?

BTW, DD had a scratch and a welt on her throat, but she's otherwise okay and forgot about it in all of 20 seconds.

Re: How would you have reacted?

• Uhhhh. I don't know what to say! I would have done the same.
  • Wow! I probably would have reacted the same way. Glad your dd seemed to get over it quickly.

• Loading the player...
  • HBirdie said:

:-O

I would've done the same. What the heck?? That's so scary, I'm sorry you had to deal with that.

The other mom's response makes my blood boil. My kid isn't even a year old yet and when he flails his arms near another kid I apologize. Wow. Also, why does he know how to choke a kid anyway, if he's just a toddler?? :/
    Oh, I'm pissed at the mom, but sad for the kid. Either his parents let him watch horrible television shows, or something really shitty is going on in his house.
  • :-O

I would've done the same. What the heck?? That's so scary, I'm sorry you had to deal with that.

The other mom's response makes my blood boil. My kid isn't even a year old yet and when he flails his arms near another kid I apologize. Wow. Also, why does he know how to choke a kid anyway, if he's just a toddler?? :/
    Oh, I'm pissed at the mom, but sad for the kid. Either his parents let him watch horrible television shows, or something really shitty is going on in his house.
    Exactly! Working with kids, I've seen a lot of hitting, grabbing, pinching, hair pulling... all of that stuff seems pretty normal. Choking? Not so much.  :(
  • I would have done the same. Choking is not OK!! I don't understand how people let their kids do whatever they want. I would have felt bad if my kid walked up & started playing another kids game.
    My dh would have flipped out on the kid.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would have probably lost it on the mom.  I have no patience for that crap.  Hope your DD is ok :)

Check out my blog ---->  http://minismama.com/
  • It's easy to say after the fact that we'd react a little calmer, or that we wish we had. I think your dh handled it fine. Especially since they had just been playing nicely before he did it. This actually happened to my ds a couple of months ago at a playground. I didn't have to physically separate them but I did yell for the kid to stop and keep his hands to himself. Definitely gave him the mom look and maybe pointed at him too.

I'd be really pissed at the kid's mom. And no, 2 handed choking at 18 months is not typical in my experience (and my kid is on the rougher side.) I'd assume that he learned it from a sibling or child care.
  • Sounds like the kid probably gets abused at home in someway. I would have done the same thing your husband did too and yelled at the kid and removed the kid myself. Also it shows poorly on the mothers part that she wasn't watching the little brat at all times!
  • Another kids choking my kid would probably make me freak out, I don't care how old they are.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited September 2014
    I'm sure my gut reaction would be the same as your husband's. He's witnessing his daughter being choked, and I highly doubt his brain had time to process that it was another little kid. He went straight into defense mode, which I'm 99% sure I would do as well. I hope your daughter is okay today, and I hope that mom realizes she has something serious to deal with.
  • I think our reaction would probably be like yours. It was an appropriate response.
    Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11
  • Yeah I have a hard time picturing myself (or DH) reacting any differently. That is so scary....and I'd be totally pissed at the mom's response too!
  • Yikes.  I fricking hate confrontation, but even I would've yelled like that.  And then yelled at the kid's mom. eek.

• Okay...good to know we're not crazy people. I wasn't upset at DH or anything. Honestly, he just even scared me a little when Papa Bear came out.
  • I feel bad for the kid that this is acceptable behavior for him. Mom should do something other than get upset with you.

I probably would have had the exact same reaction.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• ababymaybeababymaybe member
    edited September 2014
    Yikes. I have a 3 year old who can be pretty aggressive (pinching and hitting mostly) and he would never even think to choke someone.

I haven't yelled at other kids, but I have used my scary stern voice before. One time an older kid was kind of threatening ODS and I said something like "you will NOT touch him. Leave him alone. NOW". He got scared and ran off. If you're a stranger, you usually don't need to raise your voice to be effective with other kids but I am sure your DH was reacting reflexively too.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"