Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Out of state wedding 2 weeks after due date

Re: Out of state wedding 2 weeks after due date

• Just in case anyone wanted one final update...

My hubby and I left the little one with my mom yesterday for a test run of babysitting while we went to our school's football game. Everything went great! LO took to the bottle no problem, we had a great time at the game, and she had no problem transitioning back to breastfeeding once we got home and in the feeds since. And I've already pumped enough to last all of next weekend, so I'm happy that I won't have to introduce formula at this stage.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm not feeling too bad. Still not 100% obviously, but it was great getting out and tailgating/going to the game yesterday. I've lost 22 lbs since birth and only have 5 left to hit my pre-pregnancy weight, so I'm feeling pretty good. My bridesmaid dress was altered and fits great now and we added cups to it in order to hide the lumps that my nursing pads would otherwise create :).

So yeah, babysitting with grandma went great; no problems transitioning from breast to bottle and back; all pumped, frozen, and stored for the weekend; and I'm all set dress wise. Very much looking forward to the wedding and am so glad I decided to make it work!
    I'm being featured in a new pregnancy/motherhood blog during the month of October, so if you ever wanted to know more about my pregnancy, birth, and motherhood experiences than anyone ever should, check out my posts in the link below! :)

• Super weird. I almost want to call MUD. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @jenniferurs I am happy that everything went smoothly for you and LO. Enjoy the wedding!
  • aditigirl said:
    What do you want OP, a cookie?
    What? No. Multiple people earlier in the thread specifically asked for an update when the time came and then someone bumped the thread seeming to want one as well. Not sure why providing an update as people requested means I want a cookie? 
    I'm being featured in a new pregnancy/motherhood blog during the month of October, so if you ever wanted to know more about my pregnancy, birth, and motherhood experiences than anyone ever should, check out my posts in the link below! :)

• Good for you. But I also wanted to emphasize that it is a good deal of luck. Your baby came a few weeks early, recovery was uncomplicated and breastfeeding sounds like it is working out well. I hope that my delivery with DC #2 goes as smoothly. However, I am also realistic. I was one of those moms with a recovery horror story with my first. Long labor that resulted in a c-section, breastfeeding troubles, and an incision infection that required them to reopen the entire incision and perform at-home wound care for 3 weeks until the incision finally closed on its own. Long story short, I would have been unable to attend, let alone stand up, in a wedding. I know you feel the need to gloat because so many people told you it couldn't be done. But realize that most of them came from a place of honesty and experience. Parenthood is hard, and sometimes we get lucky. Other times it sucks and best laid plans go to crap. So please understand while this worked out for the best, not all things do.
    I'm not gloating at all. People asked for an update so I gave an honest one. And you're right, it's 100% luck. I don't take any credit for things working out as well as they have to date. And make no mistake, it hasn't been some walk in the park. The first week of c-section recovery was absolute hell, but it's gotten a lot better in the time since. I know that people came from a place of honesty and experience and I haven't begrudged anyone that. Despite people being slightly hostile towards me at times, I was nothing but respectful throughout the entire course of this thread. I just knew that all experiences differ and that, if the bride was willing to wait to see what happened, I too was willing to make the effort to be there, provided things went smoothly. I said multiple times over the course of the thread that she and I both understood that that may not happen, but that we both were willing to play it by ear. Luckily, little girl came early and there were no major complications. My pointing that out has nothing to do with gloating, but is simply in response to the multiple requests for an update that occurred when I first started the thread and to the person who bumped the thread just before I gave birth.

• Hi! Just reading this thread and so glad you had fun! People are cuckoo sometimes to be honest. My best friend (although it was local) was at my weddings 6 days post-partum and had a c-section.  She brought the baby who stayed in the hotel room i got her during the wedding.

I had both my girls in December and hosted a big Christmas gathering with 20 people. And I was admitted to the hospital after I came home with my first so had to leave her 2 days after birth. Guess what? We still bonded :)
  • aditigirl said:
    What do you want OP, a cookie?
    Um, this.

Oh and congratulations on leaving your what, 2 week old baby, to fly halfway across the country and party at a wedding.  Priorities, yo.
    what is the point of this post? you have a baby and nothing else is important to you anymore. Give me a break- it was her best friend. 
  • Finnaroo said:

Just in case anyone wanted one final update...

My hubby and I left the little one with my mom yesterday for a test run of babysitting while we went to our school's football game. Everything went great! LO took to the bottle no problem, we had a great time at the game, and she had no problem transitioning back to breastfeeding once we got home and in the feeds since.

One football game =/= wedding weekend.

There's a reason why so many people told you that this was a bad idea. I'm sure you're going to come back here after the wedding and make a post about how everything went off without a hitch. I'm also sure it will be a complete and total lie.

Yes, your priorities are truly out of whack for you to even entertain the idea of a cross country wedding when you have a newborn. Most people only get 6 weeks maternity leave, and they're not blowing it on partying with their friends.
    I'm a SAHM, so I'm going to have much more than 6 weeks with her.

What is it that you anticipate going wrong at this point?

• Finnaroo said:
    @jenniferurs‌ you're setting yourself up for supply issues. If you're pumping this early in addition to BF, you've given yourself oversupply. That can lead to plugged ducts and mastitis for you and poor weight gain and tummy upset for LO. Hope the bride is understanding when you wake up with a 103 degree fever and are in excruciating pain on her wedding day. If you aren't pumping regularly while away from LO (every 2-3 hours, and keeping their night schedule), your supply will tank. The early weeks are all about regulating supply for BF moms. You can't say that you're committed to BF and then do something like this ill-advised trip. Oh that's right. Your Ivy League-educated doctor supports this ridiculous idea. Go post this on the BF board. See what they say.
    I am going to be pumping every 3 hours, and I've been told that that should be sufficient in order to maintain my supply. 

I only pump once per day, which seems to be a common thing amongst those women who are returning back to work, so I'm not sure why it'd create any kind of excess problem for me. And LO's weight gain has been right on track. 

•   Not sure why everyone has such strong opinions. she wanted to go to the wedding, it was her best friend, she was ok with leaving her child for a few days. So be it.

My little one was in the NICU for 2 weeks. I saw her for an hour a day for the first 2 weeks. It was an hour drive, and I had a 3 year old at home who needed me. We had no problem bonding, I didn't feel like a bad mom (although every nurse kept asking me if I was coming for the next feeding).

Life happens and goes on. If she wanted to be there for a friend, to me that is not misplaced priorities. There are a lot of people you love in your life, including your children.

• Danipg said:
    What I don't get is why you'd want to leave your newborn for a whole weekend? You are their world at that age and you have no problem leaving LO for a weekend? If I was your best friend I wouldn't feel right having you stand up with me if it meant leaving your newborn behind. Why not bring your mom with you to watch LO at the wedding? Very misplaced priorities.
    Because my pediatrician advised that it'd be better for the baby not to travel by plane at this age and just to remain at home with my mom. I was open to doing that, before she advised against it. 

•   Not sure why everyone has such strong opinions. she wanted to go to the wedding, it was her best friend, she was ok with leaving her child for a few days. So be it.

My little one was in the NICU for 2 weeks. I saw her for an hour a day for the first 2 weeks. It was an hour drive, and I had a 3 year old at home who needed me. We had no problem bonding, I didn't feel like a bad mom (although every nurse kept asking me if I was coming for the next feeding).

Life happens and goes on. If she wanted to be there for a friend, to me that is not misplaced priorities. There are a lot of people you love in your life, including your children.

Exactly. Years from now, my daughter will not remember the 48 hours we spent apart when she was one month old. My best friend and I will, however, remember me standing up next to her while she said her vows and me giving my speech at her reception. I have many priorities. My LO is one of them of course, but that doesn't mean that my other priorities cease to exist. So long as my LO is healthy and well cared for, which she is and will be, then I see no reason to neglect the other priorities in my life. It's 48 hours. People spend more time away from their little ones in a week of work, but nobody claims that they're not good moms or implies that they won't be able to bond with their child. 

At the end of the day, everyone places different value on different things. Some people value their career and, thus, go back to work at 6 weeks, putting their child in day care. Others deeply value their family. And that's what this girl is to me. After 20 years of friendship and me spending every single holiday with her family over that period of time, she is my family. So yes, I want to be there on her big day like she's always envisioned. I have enough breast milk expressed so that my little one won't go without; she's going to be in our home, which is a familiar environment, with my mom, who she's seen many many times since birth and who is able to calm her just as well as we are; and the bride has already set up a room for me where I can pump at my leisure in order to maintain my supply. And again, it's 48 hours. She'll be in a familiar environment with a familiar person and then we have the next 5 years to spend together before I go back to work. I think all of us will be just fine. If people can leave their child all day every day starting at 6 weeks to go back to work and still be able to bond with them, I think I can leave my child for 48 hours at 4+ weeks and still be able to bond with her.

Exactly. Years from now, my daughter will not remember the 48 hours we spent apart when she was one month old. My best friend and I will, however, remember me standing up next to her while she said her vows and me giving my speech at her reception. I have many priorities. My LO is one of them of course, but that doesn't mean that my other priorities cease to exist. So long as my LO is healthy and well cared for, which she is and will be, then I see no reason to neglect the other priorities in my life. It's 48 hours. People spend more time away from their little ones in a week of work, but nobody claims that they're not good moms or implies that they won't be able to bond with their child. 

At the end of the day, everyone places different value on different things. Some people value their career and, thus, go back to work at 6 weeks, putting their child in day care. Others deeply value their family. And that's what this girl is to me. After 20 years of friendship and me spending every single holiday with her family over that period of time, she is my family. So yes, I want to be there on her big day like she's always envisioned. I have enough breast milk expressed so that my little one won't go without; she's going to be in our home, which is a familiar environment, with my mom, who she's seen many many times since birth and who is able to calm her just as well as we are; and the bride has already set up a room for me where I can pump at my leisure in order to maintain my supply. And again, it's 48 hours. She'll be in a familiar environment with a familiar person and then we have the next 5 years to spend together before I go back to work. I think all of us will be just fine. If people can leave their child all day every day starting at 6 weeks to go back to work and still be able to bond with them, I think I can leave my child for 48 hours at 4+ weeks and still be able to bond with her.
    Go enjoy. My children are my life but I work every day and travel quite a bit.  If anything they miss me a whole lot more now than at 2 weeks :) You will be fine and your friend will be forever grateful. It meant the WORLD to me that my best friend was at my wedding 7 days post partum (with c-section).
  • Finnaroo said:

Wow. Really? That's not insulting in the least. Some parents have to go back to work at 6 weeks. They don't value their family any less than you do.  
    Absolutely. Nor did I mean to insinuate otherwise. I meant that my best friend is my family and that's what I value. I didn't mean that you value either career or family. Most people value both. 

• I think what you're failing to realize is that a lot can happen in 48 hours. There have been many days, especially between about 4 and 8 weeks where both my DDs had growth spurts and they nursed every hour for 24-48 hours. It was almost ridiculous. You can't predict it and if BM is your babies' only source of nutrition, you really need to be there with him/her. I know those days were/are the hardest and I can't imagine pawning my infant off on someone else. Quite frankly it's a little disturbing that anyone would for a wedding.
    I have 80 oz of expressed breast milk, which is almost 2 oz for every hour that I will be gone. So even if she were to cluster feed for an extended period of time, I think (hope) we should still be okay. 

• I feel sad that some people apparently just see weddings as an excuse to party and don't realize that the meaning behind them is so much deeper than that. I won't even be able to drink at this wedding, because my tolerance is so low after 9 months of sobriety that I legitimately get drunk after one beer. And I'm certainly not willing to get drunk before my best friend's ceremony or before I perform a speech at her reception or at any point thereafter, when I have to get up at 4 am for my flight home. Not to mention the fact that I'll be retreating every 3 hours in order to pump so that I can maintain my supply. 

So no, this is not about "partying." This is about being there for someone I call my sister on one of the most important days of her life.

• I can't believe all the sanctimommies. The OP seems to have all of her bases covered, yet everyone is up in arms. Don't any of you have best friends that are worth 48 hours of your time? I guess my priorities are different because I can be a parent and a friend.
  • I can't believe all the sanctimommies. The OP seems to have all of her bases covered, yet everyone is up in arms. Don't any of you have best friends that are worth 48 hours of your time? I guess my priorities are different because I can be a parent and a friend.
    Lol. If you're already a mom you know there's no way in hell to have "all your bases covered" with 3-4 weeks old newborn because you don't even know where the fuck all your bases are.
    I am already a mom, and I completely understand what you are saying about still figuring everything out. But for several months now, seasoned moms have grilled her on bonding, breastfeeding, supply issues, traveling, babysitting, etc. She seems to have taken all the info, and put together a pretty decent game plan. 

You might not agree with her leaving such a young baby. But if she is going to leave, I think she is doing it in the best and most responsible way. 
  • I feel sad that some people apparently just see weddings as an excuse to party and don't realize that the meaning behind them is so much deeper than that. I won't even be able to drink at this wedding, because my tolerance is so low after 9 months of sobriety that I legitimately get drunk after one beer. And I'm certainly not willing to get drunk before my best friend's ceremony or before I perform a speech at her reception or at any point thereafter, when I have to get up at 4 am for my flight home. Not to mention the fact that I'll be retreating every 3 hours in order to pump so that I can maintain my supply. 

So no, this is not about "partying." This is about being there for someone I call my sister on one of the most important days of her life.

OP what about being there for your BABY at this important stage in her life. You may have worked out logistics; she "may not remember in years", but she is still getting to know you at this time. I can't believe your mom is even agreeing to....what's the point.... IMO selfish.
    I've spent all but 5 hours with my baby the last 4 weeks straight. And I quit my job so that I can spend the next 5+ years with her. She is getting to know me, I agree. But I just disagree that 48 hours is going to cause some kind of irreversible rift. 

• Finnaroo said:
    Don't any of you have best friends that are worth 48 hours of your time? I guess my priorities are different because I can be a parent and a friend.
    Yes but not at the expense of my child. I also don't have friends who would encourage me to leave a newborn for that long.

This.  I would think that my "best friend" would want me to stay home with my newborn, even though I would be dearly missed at her wedding.  Sorry, OP, your newborn is your top priority right now.  My mother would also never commit to watching my newborn for a whole weekend.  And that's not because it would be hard for my mother, but because she knows it would be hard for my baby.  I can't even imagine wanting to leave such a young baby.  If I did go, I wouldn't be able to have fun, as I'd be worried the whole time.  There is a lot that can go wrong at this age.  DD managed to contract a nasty virus at 2.5 weeks and ended up in the hospital for 4 days.  What if that happened? 

Also, cluster feeding does more than establish supply. It also triggers changes in the consistency of your breastmilk.  These changes are very beneficial to your baby.  When my DD (she's 2 months now) was 3-4 weeks old, there were periods of 1-3 days where she was attached to my boob what seemed like 24/7.  Also, good luck with establishing breastfeeding again after your baby has gotten used to bottles only for a few days.  You may be setting yourself up to be an EPer, which is fine, but a lot more of a hassle than just popping your baby on the boob.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

OP what about being there for your BABY at this important stage in her life. You may have worked out logistics; she "may not remember in years", but she is still getting to know you at this time. I can't believe your mom is even agreeing to....what's the point.... IMO selfish.

Stage of her life? 2 days- my goodness. I don't even recall those days in my sleep deprived state I was in. My kids were fine from birth being held by anyone who loved them. I have to say I have never heard more judgmental craziness from anywhere but the bump. There are a lot of selfish parents out there but this isn't one.

The baby isn't going to remember. If her supply gets messed up- she will survive and fix it but doubtful that will happen. I know people who went back to work at 6 weeks and pumped all day and all was dandy. Life goes on.

Half of these moms are the ones so turn into cuckoo helicopter moms that don't have a life outside being a mom.

• cko521 said:
    *snip*
    I have 80 oz of expressed breast milk, which is almost 2 oz for every hour that I will be gone. So even if she were to cluster feed for an extended period of time, I think (hope) we should still be okay. 
    Can you tell me where to get the magic let-down fairy dust that helped you pump 80 extra oz in less than a month, while establishing supply and BF'ing? Momma could use some of that shit.
    ****Quote Fail*** I just want to say that if you pumped enough to get 80oz in one month (the crucial first month when supply is being established), you may have set yourself up for oversupply issues. I don't say this to be mean, but as someone with oversupply/overactive letdown, I want other moms reading this to know pumping that much in the first month isn't a great idea. Dealing with oversupply isn't fun.
    My pediatrician told me she was fine with me pumping once a day after the first week. So at 11 days I started a once a day pumping session and continued it for the 18 days until I left. I'm not sure if once per day is enough to cause the oversupply issues of which you speak; it very well may. I just didn't want to give off the impression that I was sitting here pumping all day every day for the past month.

• So I'm back. The wedding was great, though I do have to admit that I'm absolutely exhausted today. My body hadn't been exerted like that in 10 months and I can definitely feel the after effects of it. I'm still glad that I did it, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't sore today, simply from doing so much standing. But nothing crazy happened to make it not worthwhile (e.g. mastitis, excessive bleeding/leaking/sweating/swelling, etc.). 

As far as the little one is concerned, she did great in grandma's care. My mom tracked all of her feedings and I'd pump at the same time (give or take half an hour, if I were in the middle of something). She stayed true to her typical every 3 hour feeding pattern, so it wasn't anything too burdensome, though I do have to admit that I never thought I'd see the day where I pumped in a car on a highway, in the bathroom of a restaurant, or on a plane. So that was interesting. But she continued to take the bottle well and had no problem transitioning back to the breast when I got home.

In the end, I'm really glad that I went. I know it meant a lot to my best friend and I'm glad that I could be there for her. Like I said, this girl is more like a sister to me than a friend, so much so that my baby is even named after her, so it was really important to both of us. But I digress. Like I said multiple times, it was a fluid situation and both she and I understood that it could have gone a million different ways. And she and I were both prepared for me to miss the wedding if things weren't going as smoothly as necessary. At the end of the day, all babies and situations are different. Should I have had a baby like so many on here do that is only able to be comforted by his/her mother, then I would never have left her. But she's never been that type of baby. My husband and my mom (who lives 2 miles away and has seen her almost daily since her birth) have always been able to calm her just as well as I have, sometimes better if my hormones were causing me to cry over her crying and she could sense that unrest in me. If it had been a situation where the only thing that calmed her was sleeping on my chest or being held by me and me alone, then that obviously would have changed things. And again, my best friend understood that. But she's always been just as at ease with my mom, which is why I knew she'd be comfortable with her this weekend. And sure enough, she looked like the same exact version of herself as she's been with me the past month in the 10,000 pictures and videos my mom must have sent me over the course of the weekend. 

So again, thank you to everyone who supported me and thank you as well to those who came to the thread with concerns. Thanks to the expression of your thoughts, I was able to come up with the best plan possible I think and I'm not sure that I would have been as prepared if not for your insight. Thankfully, the circumstances lent themselves to my being able to go and even more thankfully, they remained so throughout the course of my trip. Again, I was fully aware that that might not be the case, but just wanted to be prepared to go in the event that it was. Luckily, after a miserable, miserable pregnancy, I think the motherhood Gods decided to cut me a break and lend me some good luck. 

• jenniferursjenniferurs member
    edited September 2014
    aditigirl said:
    Cool story, bro. No one cares.
    So the multiple people who asked me to update this thread when the time came, or the person who bumped the thread last month, or the person who said just yesterday "I'm glad that you updated this. I was wondering what happened with this" didn't care? You may not, but that doesn't mean that other people weren't curious. If you're not one of them, that's fine. No one is forcing you to re-open the thread. But there's zero reason to be rude.

• I'm glad that everything worked out for you. I must admit I've enjoyed reading this thread.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"