Babies: 0 - 3 Months

What was Worth the Money and What Wasn't?

Hi everyone, currently in my second trimester and starting to buy baby items and nest. However, the amount of "gadgets" out there is overwhelming. This is my first so it is all new to me.

Wondering now that you are new parents, what items could you not live without?

What items were a waste of money and not worth buying?

Re: What was Worth the Money and What Wasn't?

• Mamaroo definitely worth it
  • My baby also loves the mamaroo swing. A lot of moms swear by the rock n play sleeper.
  • Loading the player...
  • Another vote for nose frida. The concept is kinda gross but my LO was really congested her first week and the hospital bulb syringe didn't help at all.
  • Wow, lots of awesome suggestions! Interested in the Rock N Play and Mamaroo!!
  • So far, the zip-up swaddle blanket (halo brand) the hospital gave us as a gift has been a lifesaver. We have a few other swaddlers, but that one is the easiest for diaper changes.

CafeMom Tickers

January PAL siggie challenge; Good advice:

• rock n play sleeper and fisher price swing...definitely recommend a swing for the fussy times!
  • I agree with rock n play, nose frieda, boppy and swaddleme blankets. I have a little bouncer (was only $30 at target) that DS likes too. Moby wrap, for sure.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • vibrating bouncy chair, snugli carrier works great for lulling baby to sleep. a nursing pillow is a back saver!!
  • Another vote for the rock n play. It was a lifesaver! There were times that was the only thing DS would sleep in. Also it is pretty light weight and folds up so it was great to travel with.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Another for the Moby wrap! It was the only way DS1 would sleep at first, and it allows me to be mobile with DS2 while chasing DS1.  We didn't use our pack n play until DS1 was older (6 months) for traveling, and DS2 is in a bassinet in our room right now.  DS1 hated our swing and bouncy seat, but DS2 loves it!  So basically you never know what your kid will like until they arrive.  I would try to buy large price items (swing, PnP) on consignment if possible.  You can usually get great deals on almost new items, just check for product recalls!

• First time mom here too and I literally bought one of everything lol....Baby is 7 wks yesterday and I have so far found the Graco glider and Fisher Price Rock n Play the most useful....she is just starting to you the bouncer seat and I have yet to use the Pack n Play b/c she will not lay flat....also I was gifted a white noise giraffe and I almost returned it b/c I was concerned about creating a bad habit but it has been a LIFESAVER!!! ...good luck!!!
  • argonneargonne member
    edited August 2014
    -woombie (so easy and the best swaddler out there. DD cannot break free from it)

-graco glider swing

-if you're into running, you cannot go wrong with the BOB revolution. It's my only stroller and it's still going strong with 5000+ miles on it

-love my Lillebaby complete carrier. I have it in my car and she goes in it whenever I go to the store or am out and about

-DS loved the RnP. DD doesn't like it as much, so YMMV on that.

-Aden & anais swaddle blankets (the real ones that are 46"x46"). While I don't use them to swaddle, they are great to have around for a nursing cover, car seat cover, a blanket for the park, etc.

Eta: a white noise machine. We have the Homedics baby one. Get one that stays on. We have the Sleep Sheep, which she likes, but it turns off after 47 minutes. She needs white noise all night.

• One more vote for the Mamaroo, Aden & Anais swaddle blankets, and a white noise machine (we use the LectroFan).
    I'm being featured in a new pregnancy/motherhood blog during the month of October, so if you ever wanted to know more about my pregnancy, birth, and motherhood experiences than anyone ever should, check out my posts in the link below! :)

• A & A swaddle blankets are awesome. At night we use Swaddle Me's so she won't bust out. Sleepers that unzip at the bottom are awesome so she doesn't get completely undressed for dipe changes. Extra virgin coconut oil is my go to for diaper cream & even as a lotion. A little goes a long way & I get it for $9 on Amazon. In my opinion, the video monitor has been worth the money. I drag myself to bed dead dog tired & the last thing I want to do is walk back across the house to check on the baby. I don't have to wonder if I rembered to cover DD up or take the pillow away from DS (he's a toddler but no pillow is my preference). It's the best $100 we spent.

Another piece if advice sort of on topic - save the clothes, hats & etc that you can & if you plan on having more kids. We stored DS's clothes in my parents attic. We were surprised at how much of his sleepers, socks & hats were neutral colors. DD wears tons of his stuff & it saved us tons of money.

•      DS isn't a big fan of his mamaroo. He is very hit or miss with it. He LOVES his snugapuppy bouncer, pack n play, swaddle mes, and o ball rattle. 
         I love the Aden and Anis swaddle blankets, not for swaddling, but for everything else, pampers swaddlers diapers, huggies natural wipes, zip up sleepers, baby bathtub with a sling, nipple butter, and A and D ointment for diaper changes. Oh, and i use my moby wrap ALL THE TIME. It's amazing even for just putting him in it when he's fussy to do dishes or whatever. Gerber cloth diapers make the best burp cloths. Super big and absorbent. 
    November D16  Siggy Challenge-Thanksgiving Fails

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I recommend borrowing anything you can because babies can be so different. DD doesn't like the swing.

Worth it: bouncer, rock n play, swaddlers, Boppy, pacifiers, bumbo, playmat. Given, we only bought one of those and the others were given to us. When she was tiny, she just wanted to be held but now likes/needs more stimulation. Oh yes, and the ERGO. Love it!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Another vote for the Rock n Play! Also love Halo swaddle sacks, bouncy seat and swing.

I was hoping to use my Moby wrap a lot, but unfortunately LO hates it.
  • DcwtadaDcwtada member
    edited September 2014
    If you have a two-story house, the Pack and Plays with the care station are such a wonderful thing to have. We have her nursery upstairs and her pack and play downstairs. The care station allows me to not only easily store diapers, wipes and extra blankets and clothes right under the changing station - having a dedicated changing station that is so easy to clean and removable bassinet has been the nicest and most useful convenience so far - by far.

We went back on forth on the pack and plays and whether we needed the more expensive one with the care station, the first day - when I didn't have to make it up and down those stairs I was thanking my former self.

https://www.gracobaby.com/products/pages/day2night-sleep-system-antiquity.aspx

• Second, third, and fourth the pack n play. We live in an apartment, and it is still useful. She loves the toy bar that came with it, and I can keep an eye on her. Always nice to have a safe place to put her. 

No rinse cleanser- Mustela brand is what we use. Pricey, yes. But you can't give a newborn a bath right away and it is great when babies inevitibly kick at a poopy diaper, or spit up all over themselves. I still use it on a soft paper towel to clean up those super champion poopy diapers.

Being with my LO rocks! DD born 6/13/14.
  • brooklynesquebrooklynesque member
    edited September 2014

No rinse cleanser- Mustela brand is what we use. Pricey, yes. But you can't give a newborn a bath right away and it is great when babies inevitibly kick at a poopy diaper, or spit up all over themselves. I still use it on a soft paper towel to clean up those super champion poopy diapers.

I second the Mustela no rinse cleanser (Physiobebe). It is also a magical cure for baby acne.
  • No one mentioned clothes. Don't worry so much about newborn size clothes. You need more 0-3 months if anything. Newborn is cute but DD was a premie and Still only used them for a short time.

The halo swaddler was amazing, but she got very hot in it. Anything with a dual function rocks! Her vibrating bouncer was a life safer the first few weeks. She felt like she was being held so I got some sleep!
  • The swing has been our best friend since the beginning. He loves sitting in it. Now we have a little bouncer seat that vibrates and that is doing great for us as well. And Gripe Water has been our friend. I love our diaper pail too as weird as it sounds. We have the diaper dekor. You don't smell anything! (until you put a diaper in it) LO is 9 weeks old and we're still using the bag it came with and haven't had to buy refills yet. 

• My baby is 8 weeks old and the best products for me and my husband were:

Boppy for feedings and hanging out
    Fisher Price Swing, she loves the pink chandelier swing with the music, butterflies and lights
    Playtex nursers bottles with the drop ins. Convenient and useful so you're not cleaning bottles all day.
    Tommee tippee bottle warmer, heats evenly.
    Waterproof pads, a lifesaver so you're not always washing the changing pad covers because there will be accidents.
    4moms infant tub. The temperature gadge is handy.
    Onesies from Target. Inexpensive and cute.
    Babies r us keep me near bassinet

Didn't like:
    4moms momaroo. My daughter hates it and wouldn't sit in for more than 5 minutes. Stick to the tried and true swings!
    Huggies wipes. They're always ripping. Try pampers or babies r us brand.

• Must have: vibrating bouncy seat since it's the only thing Oliver sleeps in, Infantino baby carrier, pack n play, white noise machine
    Married 9/17/11 BFP 10/5/13 DS Oliver Stephen born 6/11/14 via C-section 8 lbs 9 oz BFP 8/14/15
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"