School-Aged Children
Options

tantrums/melt downs at 6 yrs

lately my DD has had quite a few meltdowns...basically when I tell her no she flips out...screaming, kicking, hitting. Its happened multiple times in the past week...she just started kindergarten...new school, new kids...has a long day so I'm kind of thinking this may be the reasoning for some it...just wondering what other's are experiencing...
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: tantrums/melt downs at 6 yrs

• Options
    My DD just turned 5 but also just started K (late August birthday) and DH and I were just commenting on how she seems to be stuck on high emotion lately.  She is prone to that anyway when she's going through transitions and stress, so on the one hand we aren't that surprised, but she had been so calm (for her) over recent months that it is kind of coming as a surprise.  She doesn't seem to be doing it at school, so I think maybe some of it is a release of pent up tension.  Hoping things settle over the next few weeks; this is only her second week of K.  She loves her kindergarten class and has had a great time, and has adjusted surprisingly well to the actual school day, but I do think she's processing some stuff during her time at home.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Don't underestimate how tired primary grade kids can be at the start of the school year.  When my son was younger, the early weeks of school were tough.  And in kindergarten, he was noticeably more tired on Thursdays and Fridays the whole school year.

If she's generally a well-behaved kid, and you're consistent with limits and expectations, then you can chalk it up to tiredness.

If you've been a little wishy-washy or inconsistent with your expectations for her behavior, then those "birds" may be coming home to roost now that she's having limits forced on her by the classroom.  She may be rebelling.  Or, another explanation could be that she is being SO good during the day that she's saving up all her troubles and rebellions for home, where she knows you'll love her anyway, even if she's a pain.

Hang in there!  Things should sort themselves out in a few weeks.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS just started kindergarten, and he is having meltdowns after school.  Nothing too bad, but usually over something really minor.  I know he is exhausted, so we are trying to adjust his routine to get him to be earlier on school nights.  I think it's pretty normal for young kids + stress + exhaustion to tantrum.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Options
    Maybe try an earlier bedtime until she adjusts to the new school schedule. Also maybe have a little "quiet time" when she gets home from school so she can regroup herself.
  • Options

I could write volumes on some of DD's tantrums at that age! Especially the time when... ANYWAY...

Yes, do your best to get her some more sleep - I know it's easier said than done.  Also, keep the lines of communication open because the solution could be easier than you imagined.  The best solution is a starting point to figure out where the rub is in the line.  You have to start somewhere and the sooner the better for all of you because the battles will only increase as they get older if the issue isn't addressed.

For us driving DD to school helped cut many of the problems, but also getting her some help for learning strategies (a half step between the psych side with SN and the tutoring side because it wasn't just one subject) is improving her overall attitude when it comes to all things school.  She still has a difficult time on the friends end of things but it's far more tolerable than it was in previous years.  Also changing schools cut most problems by about 2/3 by the second year (we still had some hiccups her first year there but silly as it sounds it was almost like PTSD in that she was on guard every second thinking she'd blink and things would be just like they were at the old school with her being beat up/bullied all the time - now this year she's so much more relaxed, she's doing her homework without a brawl, and actually wants to go to school which we haven't seen since mid-way through Kindergarten!).. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"