Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Alternatives to cow's milk

I will be transitioning away from breastmilk soon and was wondering, moms that don't use cow's milk, what are you giving to your toddler? If you are using an alternative to cow's milk why did you choose it?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
TTC 12/2009 Me: 32 – Thyroid issues (on Levothroid)
IUIs 1-3 with Clomid + Ovidrel + Gonal-F, BFNs
12/11 went to a new RE and DH had another SA and was diagnosed with Varicoceles
2/12 DH had Varicocele Repair
BFP- expecting 08/19/13
Daughter born 8/17/13

Re: Alternatives to cow's milk

• Options
    We use almond milk for 17 month old DD. We also tried flax seed milk but it was really expensive. She originally started on cow's milk around 12 months, but she was having so much trouble with ear infections and constant thick snot that we were all miserable. I'd read about a connection between cows milk and ear infections, so we decided to give it a shot and cut dairy at about 14 months. It has worked like a charm - not an ear infection since and no more gross snot. We are adding back cheese and yogurt now, and that has gone well.
  • Options
    We have been using silk soy milk. Our family just prefers that over cows milk, honestly the thought of it just really sounds unpleasant to my tastbuds.
    L has been doing greatly on it.

We have our "Irish Twins"

DD born 8/7/2013

DS born 7/28/14

<>

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    My son has a casein sensitivity, so he could not handle cow's or soy milk. He is on unsweetened almond milk. I love it, b/c it actually has more calcium than cow's milk AND like 1/4 of the calories (so I don't feel bad if he wants extra). We don't offer juice or other beverages of any kind & only stopped breastfeeding 3mo ago, so I wanted him to still have the option of a beverage other than water.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    NaenaNaena member
    edited September 2014
    I am not too worried about my DD not getting enough nutrients she eats table food like a champ. I have just been reading that CM isn't always the best thing and I am looking at our different option. We are leaning towards goat milk, but it is expensive, $4 for a quart.
    BFP- expecting 08/19/13
    Daughter born 8/17/13
  • Options
    Here is an interesting link comparing GM, CM, and BM, https://fiascofarm.com/dairy/goatmilk-breakdown.html
    BFP- expecting 08/19/13
    Daughter born 8/17/13
  • Options
    We do almond milk for DD per the allergist's recommendation. She had a milk protein allergy. Even now that she has outgrown her allergy, she doesn't like the taste of cow's milk and it still gives her eczema. I give her the vanilla or chocolate varities b/c she needs the extra calories. We tried flax milk and it seriously upset her stomach and made for lots of gross diapers. Rice milk just looked really thin and watery, not appealing at all. DS does soy after transitioning from soy formula (he also has the milk protein allergy among other food allergies). I'd like to get him off the soy, but he rejects any of the alternatives.
    imageimage
  • Options
    We give DS almond milk both regular and chocolate....mostly because my husband is really into health and nutrition and he feels that is better for him than CM and my son loves it.  
  • Options
    krae771krae771 member
    edited October 2014

©2014 UpToDate

Nutritional comparison of cow's milk with alternative sources
    Milk alternatives, per 8 ounce Kcal* Protein, grams* Fat, grams* Calcium, mg* Vitamin D, international units*
    Cow's milk, whole; 2 percent; skim 150; 130; 85 8 8; 5; <1 300 100
    Toddler formula (Nutramigen with Enflora LGG Toddler) 160 4 6 208 96
    Toddler formula (Neocate Junior Unflavored) 240 7.9 12 283 190.8
    Enriched soy milk 100 7 4 350 100
    Enriched rice milk 120 1 2.5 300 100
    Enriched oat milk 120 4 3 300 100
    Enriched almond milk 50 1 2.5 300 100
    Enriched coconut milk 45 0 4.5 100 to 450 100
    Enriched hemp milk 80 2 8 300 100
    Enriched quinoa milk 70 2 1 300 100

Juice - 10 percent (30 percent) calcium fortified

I found this chart useful.  My LO is just shy of one year and has milk protein allergy.  He is also very small and his eating is inconsistent so I wanted to ensure he is getting adequate calories/fat.  I chose Hemp milk over almond or coconut because it has more fat/calories.  I weaned him about 2 weeks ago and I am doing a mix of frozen BM and hemp milk for now but eventually will probably just be hemp milk unless he outgrows his allergy.  I use unsweetened Tempt or Pacific brand.  I also use almond milk or coconut milk for cooking and in his food.  He is a great meat eater and we also eat a lot of legumes, so I plan to make sure he gets enough protein that way and I also try to feed him avocado daily for the calories/fat.  The downside is the price...it's $3.69$4/32 oz carton.

120 0 0 100 (300) Varies
  • Options
    Wow this is the first time I hear about giving chocolate milk to relatively young kids...I would fear to do that because this does not sound very healthy to me. Any other experiences? @LSU628 turns to the chocolate milk for extra calories but...Don't know, I just thought that milk already is rich in energy..,
  • Options
    My DD was diagnosed as FTT at her 4 yr old check up, so we closely monitor her fat/calorie intake. The chocolate and vanilla almond milk help me get a few extra calories in. I realize she's not the norm, but I also think a cup or chocolate or vanilla milk isn't going to hurt a kid.
    imageimage
  • Options
    We tried Goats Milk and it gave him really stinky/nasty diapers.
    Now don't have any WCM at home but he has it 1-2x day at dc (M-F). If we didn't have a tree nut allergy in the house/family we'd do almond, I myself also enjoy flax and coconut milk. 
    I don't think it is necessary (read that) as they are getting (vitamins etc) nutrition from other sources.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

CafeMom Tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"