Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Nanny pay rates

For those of you that have a nanny, what do you pay? We live in Chicago and there will be 2 infants (we are doing a nanny share). I saw survey that said the rate for 2 kids in Chicago was $14/hour. We were looking to pay a weekly vs. hourly rate. We were thinking $500-600/week (cash) with 2 weeks paid vacation, paid holidays, and 3-5 sick days. One candidate we are really interested in would be bringing her 5 month old with her. Is our range fair? We feel like it is, but maybe we are wrong. Thanks!
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Nanny pay rates

• Options
    We pay our nanny $450/week for ONE infant so your amount seems low. We pay her whenever we go on vacation and we don't need her so that is how she gets paid vacation. We live in the Midwest too.
  • Options
    We pay $200 for 3 days a week, which is roughly $9.50/hour.  On the Care.com website you can enter your zip code and see what the going rate is in your area.  Link should take you right there.  Hope you find it helpful.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'll check out care.com for the rates. I know daycares were way more expensive, which is why we decided to go with a nanny share. When I was a nanny in grad school I got $12/hour, so we thought this was fair for the hours. Plus for the last hour-hour and a half, I will be home with the nanny, but getting dinner ready, etc. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I think it's fair considering she will be getting paid to take care of her own kid as well. I'm in NY and we looked into nannies before it was decided for sure that I would be a SAHM. The going rate was $10-12 an hour and I didn't consider anyone who wanted to watch DD along with their own child. 
  • Options
    We got lucky- our lady only let's me pay $5 an hour ( one child at my house) and won't let me pay vacations ( hers or ours) it's pretty awesome and she's great. Used care.com to find her.
  • Options
    In Atlanta that's on the low side of average. If she's bringing her own kid maybe fair. I don't think I'd feel comfortable but I guess it depends on the nanny. Still three babies is a lot.

To the $5 an hour person, that's wild. Is that legal? Don't you have to pay minimum wage or is their an exception? I think around here I'd be scared of anyone wanting so little.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @ggatlanta‌ - she's a widow , and her children are all grown and have families if their own. She use to work as a CNA in peds but retired. She is literally doing this Job so she doesn't get lonely. ( and I kind if got a feeling she doesn't exactly need the money)

Gosh she's been watching for two months now and is amazing with Sloan! And I've meet her granddaughter and feel like I know her family well.

I was going to do cameras but after talking with her I realized she was trustworthy .

And care.com actually has many people who only charge 5 an hr
  • Options
    In DC metro area, I get $15-18/hour (part-time, though)... $18 is for three boys and includes driving to/from school. I'm also an RN so that might be why people are willing to pay slightly more.
  • Options
    I pay $15/hr when she only has one of my kids and $16/hr when she has two. We live in MD. Since your nanny is bringing her own LO, $14/hr seems ok but would be low for anyone who is. It bringing their own LO along.

• Options
    I pay my nanny $15/hr for my one child, one day a week. The going rate in my area is more like $12/hr, but she had great credentials, and LO loves her, so we felt it was worth it. I never felt good about someone bringing their child along, b/c I always felt like my LO wouldn't be the first priority, but that is just me. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Omg! I only get paid $75 a week to watch a 9 month old boy from 6am-6pm mon-fri in my home and I have a 5 month old girl of my own, the mom never asked me anything I just offered one day and she said ok lol and I barely knew her at the time only because our husbands work together
  • Options
    That's only $1.25/hr lol
  • Options
    We got lucky- our lady only let's me pay $5 an hour ( one child at my house) and won't let me pay vacations ( hers or ours) it's pretty awesome and she's great. Used care.com to find her.
    Jealous! I wanted a nanny share but at first glance was more than we could afford here in Baltimore. One lady quoted me $765 / wk for a 9 wk old. I thought that was ridiculous. We're still trying to decide which way we're going...
  • Options
    Apparently I am getting the deal of a lifetime! My son is 7 weeks today and we are paying $90/wk up to 35 hours and $3/hr after that. She watches him at her house, not ours.
  • Options
    Purple10o said:
    Omg! I only get paid $75 a week to watch a 9 month old boy from 6am-6pm mon-fri in my home and I have a 5 month old girl of my own, the mom never asked me anything I just offered one day and she said ok lol and I barely knew her at the time only because our husbands work together
    I watch a little boy in our home and your weekly rate is what I get per day.  8:45-5:15, I think you should seriously be asking for more!!

OP: We live in Chicago and the nanny rate for one kid is about $15 an hour, but only $1 or $2 more for the second.  I don't think you're too far off, especially if the nanny gets to bring her own kid, then I think your rate sounds fair.
  • Options
    I'm scared for you posters that talk about getting "a deal" on your child care.  I have learned you get what you pay for.  My DH and I decided if there is one area we should spend money on, it is to make sure our children are well taken care of.  Why would you not want the person who takes care of your child to get paid well?  We make sure our nanny is well paid and happy.  As long as our nanny is happy, our kids are happy and then we are happy! :)
  • Options

I'm scared for you posters that talk about getting "a deal" on your child care.  I have learned you get what you pay for.  My DH and I decided if there is one area we should spend money on, it is to make sure our children are well taken care of.  Why would you not want the person who takes care of your child to get paid well?  We make sure our nanny is well paid and happy.  As long as our nanny is happy, our kids are happy and then we are happy! :)

Actually I take some offense to this. Just because we got lucky and found a great person to be apart of my child's life who actually isn't doing it for the money but so she just isn't sitting at home doesn't mean I have a crappy nanny. She is wonderful with my child and days she's not here texts/calls to check and she how she's doing.

Money isn't the only thing that makes people work hard/well. Satisfaction , enjoyment, Ect are all reasons people are good at their jobs
  • Options
    Yes, you got unbelievably lucky, but I do feel even tho she's ok with that pay that your taking advantage of her . She's clearly a very caring sweet lady , but no matter if she needs the money or not you should be fair. Here in Texas the pay rate is $15 hr -$17 if more than one child with 2wks paid vacation and holidays paid in our vacations she gets paid. Why wouldn't you want to take care of the person that has the most important job for you.. Taking care of your kids. You don't have to hand over your check , but be fair don't take advantage.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"