January 2014 Moms
Options

Exercise in futility??

So DD is into eating everything, including all things nature. It's impossible to take her outside without her chomping on grass, stones, sticks and leaves. I have no problem with her playing with these items as long as I am watching, but she has to eat everything. I completely understand that babies like to eat everything, but my question is am I wasting my time by trying to teach her "no" at this age? She's 7.5 months. She seems to understand that she's not supposed to eat it because she sneaks it in her mouth and then looks at me to see if I noticed. If I do, I say "Yuck, no eating!" and pull her hand with the object away from her mouth without taking the object away and then try to redirect her to something else. Without fail though, her main aspiration in life is to eat all of nature. Or should I just take the object away or forget about taking her outside until she learns not to eat every damn thing in sight? 

Re: Exercise in futility??

• Options
    DD loves all of nature too. DS is just starting to like it. He tries to eat the grass. With DD I just kept telling her no and taking it from her. I do the same with DS. Eventually she learned not to eat the nature and just look or touch.
  • Options
    I actually let Adam put some grass in his mouth today. I figured kids have been doing that for a long time and it probably wouldn't hurt.
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    kiki1978 said:

I actually let Adam put some grass in his mouth today. I figured kids have been doing that for a long time and it probably wouldn't hurt.

I'd be worried about any chemicals. Our yard gets sprayed by the bug guy.

I'm sure Abby would put it all in her mouth too. I just imagine a beautiful butterfly lands on her hand and while I grab my camera, she would stuff it in her mouth!

I'm 33 DH is 36 
    Married 6/27/2009 Together since 10/22/2005
    TTC since 8/2010 (off BCP since 8/2009) 
    Unexplained Infertility
    8/2011, 1/2012, 3/2012 IUI #1-3 BFN 
    6/2012 IVF#1 BFN, 8/2012 IVF#2 FET BFN, 11/2012 IVF#3 BFP
    12/10/2012 U/S #1 6w4d - heartbeat  EDD 8/1/13 
    12/26/2012 U/S #2 8w6d - No more heartbeat, MMC; D&C; Chromosome testing normal; male :( RPL testing normal 
    4/3/2013 DX Asherman's Syndrome caused by D&C, hysteroscopy done
    June 2013 IVF #4 planned 
    5/12/2013 SURPRISE BFP! Natural cycle 
    7/11/2013 Panorama results Normal!!! Team Pink, partial previa moved up in 2nd tri9/5/13 (19w) AS scan shows short cervix, 2.5 cm 9/19 (21w)  Cervix is worse 1.87cm, bed rest 10/26 & 10/27 steroid shots 12/19 (35w) DX: SGA Baby went from 57% percentile to 18th percentile in 6 weeks. Weekly BPP and NST until she is here. 1/17/18 Growth scan puts Abby below 10th percent in size, low amniotic fluid, and less movement. Time to induce!
    1/18/14 2:11am Abigial Morgan is here! 5lbs 14oz and 18 inches of pure cuteness!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Maybe it's a coincidence but I think they understand. My LO is 7 months and she used to go for the tv stand or cords and after telling her "No, don't touch. Those are Momma's/Dadda's things...." Now she will go to it once, I say this and she keeps on crawling. She's a strange girl that she doesn't like to put things in her mouth so far. I wish she would for food but still doesn't.
  • Options
    Grass is a significant choking hazard b/c the blades get caught in their throats and they can't budge them. I just say yucky or no no and divert with another toy.

• Options
    They are at a age where they can learn "no". We are staying to say no to dd..
    BFP #1 (7/13/12) MC (8/14) 9 weeks. D & C 8/17.
    BFP #2 (5/18/13) due 1/26/14. Grow baby grow!
    Its a surprise! Team green!

• Options
    chicki1012chicki1012 member
    edited September 2014
    Roses87 said:

They are at a age where they can learn "no". We are staying to say no to dd..

Agree. There are times when DS will touch something that isn't his, I don't even let him play with my phone. I say no that's mommas. They are only 7-8 months old but I think they are smarter than what we think. it's good to start saying no and what's right and wrong. Gotta start somewhere.
    Edit. Hit post w/out finishing

• Options
    @precious72381 I totally understand that. I just let him stick it in his mouth for a sec and then I took it out. If chemicals got sprayed on my lawn I wouldn't let him do that.
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    My DD is the same way.  She puts everything within reach in her mouth.  We went to the beach on Saturday and I am sure she got a few handfuls of sand in there despite me constantly pulling her hands away from her mouth. 

I would say no and take it out of her hand and redirect her.  If she is holding "nature" and not putting it in her mouth then praise her.  They understand no and they understand praise at this age. 

• Options
    Thanks for all the help, guys. @worleygirl‌ grass never seems to make it past the tip of her tongue, but she has choked on leaves a couple times now. I worry less about grass than leaves. They are dry and brittle now and so easy for her to sneak a small piece of leaf in her mouth.
  • Options
    DD hates being on the grass. It's so funny. She will kinda lift herself up so it's not touching her and get the heck outta there.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"