May 2015 Moms
Options

Anyone Else NOT Getting a Dating Ultrasound?

This is my second pregnancy and am working with a midwife for the first time. Our midwife isn't sending us for a dating ultrasound. Just wondering if anyone else is not getting a dating ultrasound? Is it specific to midwives maybe or do some OBs not do them either?

It was nice having it last time - seeing that little heartbeat - but I'm trying to just relax this time around and not worry unless something happens that warrants it.

So yeah - is a dating ultrasound standard? Or does it depend on the health care provider?

Thanks!
Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Anyone Else NOT Getting a Dating Ultrasound?

• Options
    I asked when I made my appointment with the doctor (Sept. 26, at the end of 8 weeks), and the person I scheduled with said that the doctor doesn't always do a dating ultrasound. I kind of hope I get one, because I'd love to see the first picture and hear the heartbeat, but at the same time it sounds like he doesn't do one if everything seems healthy and normal. He's also more likely to do one for a first pregnancy (and this is my first). So, I suppose either way I'll be fine.
  • Options
    no dating u/s here. But I also work with a m/w. I haven't had an u/s aside from my anatomy scan with either of my others.

I had one at 9.5 weeks with my m/c but it was because I was miscarrying
    ~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks guys - this is helpful to know!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I didn't with my first.  I thought they only did it if there was no idea how far along, cycles not regular that sort of thing.  
  • Options
    This is my third pregnancy and I have never had an early ultrasound. My OB only does them if you are high risk or unsure of how far along you are. I'll probably only have 2 ultrasounds this pregnancy- one at 18-20 weeks (anatomy scan) and one around 36 weeks to check the position of the baby.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options
    I didn't with my first two and they only do them here if you are unsure of your dates. I'm not sure if I'll get one this time around or not since I was nursing when I got my BFP and my cycles had been irregular the last few months due to that.

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• Options
    I am ONLY getting one because I have extremely long cycles. If based off my LMP my due date is April 11th. However, I did not get a BFP until day 43 of my cycle. I should have gotten a positive nearly 3 week sooner if my LMP EDD were correct. I believe my due date is May 1, based off my charting. I will see tomorrow how accurate I am. 

It is completely NORMAL to NOT get one. Usually only for people like me, those who are at risk or those who do not know their LMP. :) 
    *bumping under a new name since July 2014*
    Married 9/4/11
    BFP 4/5/09, EDD 12/4/09, m/c
     7/31/09
    BFP 5/27/11, EDD 1/17/12, DS born 1/16/12
    BFP 8/16/14, EED 4/29/15, We are having another BOY!

Lilypie Maternity tickers    image 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersimage
    Yup. DS is Tommy Pickles! Nothing like living with an escape artist.
    Just another cloth diapering, baby wearing mama.

• Options
    I had them with my first two because I had loooong cycles with my first and never had a period between the two.

This one? Not sure. I actually o'ed around day 17 this time, so not too far off. We'll see. I want a dating u/s because I am having a repeat c/s and every day inside is a bonus.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I may get one at 8 weeks only because my cycle is pretty long. My OB is going off of the date I told her I thought I ovulated based on opks/body signs/BFP but I think she will want to confirm it.
    1st BFP- March 2011. Natural MC @ 8 weeks
    2nd BFP- July 2011.  Chemical Pregnancy
    3rd BFP- Sep 2011. My beautiful son was born May 2012.
    4th BFP-August 2014- Due May 12, 2015

• Options
    Not sure if testing is the same in the States, but in Canada here -- my m/w said that if we wanted to do additional genetic pre-screening tests, they would need the early (8 wk) dating u/s to determine when to go for further testing (i.e., the NT scan needs to happen during a specific window of time).

• Options

I'm not expecting to get one. I did with my first because she was a complete surprise and had no idea how far along I was. With my second I knew the exact day I conceived, but I still had one because I was measuring big (I did the whole pregnancy), I even had a 3D one at 33 weeks because I was measuring 3 weeks ahead. DS was born 17 days early at 7 lbs 1 oz, so pretty little.

I pretty certain when this LO was conceived, I have two kids and DH and I work odd shifts. I'm hoping I can convince my OB to give me another one.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    djm31012djm31012 member
    edited September 2014
    I had one with my last pregnancy around 9 weeks because my ob couldnt find the heartbeat with the doppler and according to LMP i was due on 2/14 but according to levels I was due 2/23 so my ob was convinced i was miscarrying. Low and behold, there was my little man doing cartwheels in my belly. Needless to say I am using a new OB this time so I am not sure what he will do. I am going in on Sept 23rd for my first appt so we will see what that entails...my guess is no U/S unless there is a reason to do one.

ETA I delivered a perfect baby boy on 2/10....so all these dates mean nothing anyway!
  • Options
    My midwife doesn't generally do dating ultrasounds either, but we are unsure about dates this time and have a four week window of difference between them, so she'll be sending me for one shortly.
  • Options
    I go to a midwife too and I didn't do one last time and won't this time either. Last time the only u/s I had was the anatomy scan at 19 weeks. I ended up getting one more at 23 weeks because L wasn't cooperating and they couldn't get all her heart measurements at the a/s.
  • Options
    I had one with my first pregnancy but I switched to an OB to a midwife around 20 weeks.  I also wasn't sure of the dates the first time.  I don't think my midwife does a dating ultrasound either. 

• Options
    With my first, my doctor didn't do a dating US. In fact, they don't do one at all until the A/S unless there are problems. I got one at my 3mo appointment because I was "growing rapidly" and they were concerned about multiples given family history and the fact that they don't generally deliver multiples there. 

• Options
    my OB only does dating if there is a discrepancy in dates.  

I had one in March because there was a two week difference in due date from my LMP and ovulation date.

They were going to do one this time around because my LMP was in June, but I miscarried in July.  Since I knew when my ovulation date was, they took me for my work and cancelled it.  

Monster #1- Hunter Fillmore! 10.1.11
     MC 3.20.14 -- 8w3d
    MC 7.11.14-- 5w4d
    Monsterette #2- EDD  5.9.15

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"