Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

5 month old eating habits?

Hi there,

My pediatrician recommended we start the baby on solids. We started a week after she turned 4 months old and she LOVES eating, she is great with the spoon, she mashes with her gums and loves eating but I am afraid I am feeding too much? She eats about every 3-4 hours. She had a breast milk bottle, then 2oz breast milk mixed with oatmeal cereal and half a fruit or veggie, a 5 oz bottle, then 2oz breast milk mixed with oatmeal cereal and half a fruit or veggie, then 1-2 more milk feedings at about 5 oz (these are breastfed so I am not 100% sure). She rarely spits up and if she does its after the bottle. Is this too much cereal? should i be feeding her just baby food and not the cereal too? She has tried sweet potatoes and apples so far and we will be adding peas. 

What are your thoughts?

Thanks! 

Re: 5 month old eating habits?

• Options
    She is 5 months old now too. 
  • Options
    I think that's too much oatmeal. I would only do oatmeal for breakfast and dinner. But whatever works for you all is what you should do. All babies are different.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS is 5mo and we, like you, we introduced solids at 4mo.  He is typically eating 4oz of solid food.  We mix it up, sometimes mix 1tbsp of cereal with 3oz solid, or all solid, or all cereal.  He is currently only eating solids for dinner, going to start adding to breakfast as well this week.  I am making my own foods.  So far introduced: apples, pears, bananas, peas, sweet pots (loves!), peaches, carrots, and combinations of these.  He is still taking a bottle every 3-4 hours, we offer 6oz, sometimes he drinks 3 or 4 or the whole thing.  On average he's eating about 25-30oz of formula total in a day.  Every baby is different.  If your LO is doing well and seems satisfied, then enjoy and do what works for you. 
  • Options
    That seems like a lot. My 5 month old hasn't gotten any solids yet. At this age main focus should still be on milk (breast or formula) and just some added food.
  • Options
    If your baby is happy and not gaining an insane amount of weight (well above her average), I wouldn't worry.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"