Dads & Dads-to-be

Stuff, stuff and more stuff

Everywhere you turn companies are pushing parents (or offering) the purchase of stuff to help with the baby.

What does everyone think of all the STUFF that people think you need for a baby?

Do we need all that stuff?

Does it make it easier for the parents? For the baby? The siblings?? 

Does anyone think we have too much stuff now?

Re: Stuff, stuff and more stuff

• I do I do. I can't blame companies for it though. There's a constant battle of trying to make a product that will make life easier for everyone. Some of it works and sells and others don't. If there ends up being a demand than why wouldn't you try to sell it. If I could come up with a product that people would buy even though they didn't need it I would totally do it.

With that said we do try to avoid the stuff that companies try to make us think we need, but don't actually need. A few times we've bought some stuff we probably didn't need just because we wanted to try it and because we had the means to. I'm talking under $20 here. Nothing that will break the bank.

• I just ignore most of the company ads etc.  Then again, we used rubber bands to keep our LO out of our cabinets and showed him which drawers he could play with.

We also have a smaller home without a lot of storage space so we don't want a lot stuff that we don't use.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I have to admit I am not a large fan of the marketing tactics used to make you feel like you are terrible parents for not spending out on the most expensive and elaborate items being sold... I saw straight through it but my wife started to worry that if we didn't buy the best of everything we would somehow be putting our LO at risk... 

I feel there are 3 categories regarding stuff

1. Stuff you need
    2. Stuff you don't
    3. Stuff you don't but its looks like fun so you get it anyway

:)
  • I thought it was all the little stuff. The home safety stuff alone was a ton. You could spend a small fortune baby proofing the house. An example was those foam corner protectors for coffee tables and fire places. My thought was if we make it so they don't hurt at our house than he won't know that they won't hurt at someone else's. It's best to teach that it's dangerous rather than eliminating the danger from just one place.

Wipe warmers and bottle warmers and all that other stuff are a waste. Your baby doesn't know the difference unless you used those things.

• I agree to some extent on the home safety stuff. I mean how often will your child bump their head on a table...Once should do it. ;)

I think we plan on moving chemicals and locking some cabinets, drawers and outlets. Maybe the outside door and move the wine rack.  lol

I also agree on the stuff you don't need and don't want. If it makes our life easier then AWESOME! If not, I am thinking we aren't going to buy it.

• That's all we did. Outlets and put locks on cabinets that have stuff in them that babies shouldn't play with.

I should add I won't knock someone if they want some of this stuff, but it is mostly for the parent and not the baby. Some parents might want their baby to have warm wipes and I guess there's nothing wrong with that. I know I've bought stuff that I wanted that my kid couldn't care less about.

• OH I am SUPER guilty of buying all the stuff...don't let me fool ya!  LOL

For my first daughter, I almost needed a room for all her toys...mostly Little People.  I was a bit of a freak 10 years ago. 

• Ohhh, toys are a different story. We like toys. I bought my son bluetrack (better than hot wheel track) when he was 2. He could barely play with it, but I'm a good helper.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"