December 2014 Moms

Fit Friday - late edition!

megbmegmegbmeg member
edited September 2014 in December 2014 Moms
Hi all - Sorry this is posted so late. It's been a looong day and it still isn't over yet. I hope your weeks went a little more smoothly!

As a reminder, this is a check-in for anyone who is trying to be active during pregnancy. Jump on in if you're new. 

So, how did your week go? Any workout victories? Anything getting in your way? 

QOTW: What do you hope your LO learns from you when it comes to fitness? 

Baby GIRL born 12/11/14!!
MC @ 8 wks 7/6/13 - ectopic @ 6 wks 12/28/13

In loving memory of sweet baby HP, and all our angel babies. Forever in our hearts.image 

Re: Fit Friday - late edition!

• Cheekers2010Cheekers2010 member
    edited September 2014
    Hey @megbmeg‌ - sorry you've had a long day/week.

Well, you know I've been at the gym getting hit on by creepy ladies. I still haven't managed to start up a regular routine of yoga and walking on my off days. Gah! Maybe that will be my big victory next week.
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP2: 10/27/13(edd 7/10/14) "Speck" ~ M/C 12/5/13
  • I'm officially not lurking on this thread anymore. I've got a large child to push out in a couple of months!

So, how did your week go? Any workout victories? Anything getting in your way? 
    Week went well. I have been working late so workouts have been sparse. But I just ordered a yoga DVD so even if I get home late, I can do something relaxing before bed. 

I hope he learns that there is more to fitness than just looking good. There is nothing more satisfying than completing something hard that others can't do and feeling strong in your body. I want him to accomplish goals, not just go the gym for vanity reasons. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for posting @megbmeg sorry your day has been so long, hopefully your evening will be a relaxing one!

I got in my 2 Mile hikes about 4 times this week. I also had some field work this week so getting away from my desk and on the water was awesome!

I hope my little one just enjoys being active in general. I really want to encourage active play, not so much exercising, but doing things together that are fun and promote fitness. We really enjoy the outdoors and hiking so I'm hoping our little one will enjoy those things too.

• I worked out everyday this week, but didn't get to lift weights as much as I wanted to this week.  Both yesterday and today I couldn't make it to the gym so I ran outside instead. I can't wait for the true fall weather to get here - it's hot out! 

They also had a demo class to try 4 new classes at the gym (they demo'd 20 min of each class.) I really liked two of them and am looking forward to doing a full class of those two!  One of the classes was Piyo, which I had heard good things about but wasn't very impressed with.  Maybe I need to do a full class.

I have to say my willpower for food is waning though. I've been so good up until a couple of weeks ago.  Then the sugar cravings hit hard.  I am trying but am having a really hard time.

I hope DD and this baby enjoy exercise. I do hope they find a better balance of exercise and life though. I feel very guilty when I don't exercise for even one day.  I hope my children are able to enjoy it but also be okay with missing a day here or there.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • @cheekers2010 I'll have to get caught up on your creepy gym adventures. Sounds like a pain! Good luck adding a little bit to your routine next week. :)

@colliebabe Wow, everyday! that's awesome. The gym demo sounds cool. What 2 classes did you end up liking? 

@rshamos Welcome! I hope you end up liking the yoga DVD. I'm still looking for one I really like. At the moment, I'm sort of improvising based on prenatal classes I went to over the summer. 

@gradschoolmom1234 I'm impressed that you got in some fitness despite the new semester and still recovering from DC. That's awesome!

@anna930 what a wonderful thing it will be if our kiddos feel motivated to push themselves physically because it is rewarding and fulfilling. I like that idea!

@slc1102 sounds like a pretty nice week. I guess you're on vacation? Enjoy!

In loving memory of sweet baby HP, and all our angel babies. Forever in our hearts.image 

• So, how did your week go? Any workout victories? Anything getting in your way? 
    Saturday I went for about a 90 minute walk.  Monday I did a yoga video online.  Wednesday I went to the gym and did some cardio and weights.  Not as much as I'd hoped to do this week, but not too bad.  The start of school is always so busy with functions that it is hard to get into a routine.

I hope that she learns that it is important to stay active, but that you can do things that you enjoy doing.  My DH is very competitive and is hoping that this LO will be too.  I am the opposite, but hopefully we can come to a middle ground and help support her doing her best in something she loves.

BFP #1 - 03/13 Ectopic @ 5 weeks
    BFP#2 - 09/13 Natural m/c @ 6 weeks
    BFP #3 - 12/13 Natural m/c @ 6 weeks
    BFP #4 - 04/14   EDD - 9/12/14

Pregnancy Ticker
  • sysakbaby said:
    I really want to encourage active play, not so much exercising, but doing things together that are fun and promote fitness. We really enjoy the outdoors and hiking so I'm hoping our little one will enjoy those things too.
    Yes, this! For example, I love how kids just want to run around because it is fun. I would really love it if LO was active just because it is part of everyday life for us, not because (or not just because) she's signed up for a team or has an hour of PE at school. 

• @megbmeg One was called Cardio Combat, which was an amped up cardio kickboxing.  The other was called Fierce Funk, which I guess is like Zumba but more hip-hop. I LOVED it. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I'm finally home and I can post my own check in :)

This week was better than last - I went for a swim, I did a Pilates DVD, got in one good walk, and did some DIY yoga a couple of nights based on what I remembered from the prenatal classes I took over the summer. I'm hoping next week will be even better. 

QOTW: I agree with so many of you. I hope LO is active and can love what her amazing body can do. Being active wasn't stressed in my family - in fact, my mom was always suggesting ways to get out of doing physical activity - so I hope DH and I will be able to foster a healthier habit in our house. We love to hike and be outside, and I hope LO will too. 

• @megbmeg One was called Cardio Combat, which was an amped up cardio kickboxing.  The other was called Fierce Funk, which I guess is like Zumba but more hip-hop. I LOVED it. 
    The names are hilarious! But they both sound really fun :)

• @megbmeg‌ sorry you had a long day. TGIF!

My week sucked for workouts. I did the elliptical for about 45 minutes on Saturday morning, but the my hip was killing me for the rest of the day. I didn't do another workout this week because we were busy Sunday and Monday, Tuesday night I had a doctors appointment followed by back to school night, and I've been sick the rest of the week. Finally took the day off today to rest and take medicine, so hoping to be feeling better by tomorrow. I did walk my dog for 1 mile this afternoon, because I needed time out of the house, if that counts?

I hope my LO learns to love physical activity in general. When she gets older, I want her to know that it's ok to miss a workout or to eat less than healthy food sometimes, as long as you're generally leading a healthy lifestyle.
  • @drmh22 Sorry about the hip pain. I hope it gets better. And dog walk definitely counts! I think you are right about the power of understanding health isn't all or nothing - you don't have to be a rockstar at the gym 7 days a week to be fit and happy. 

@brookey79 - Yes, the start of school is really a hurdle for getting into a routine. I always feel out of whack at the start of the semester - I feel a lot better once I've gotten into a habit again with the schedule. It's funny that YH is so competitive and you're not - I bet your LO will have his/her own style and let you guys know ;) 

• rshamos said:
    I'm officially not lurking on this thread anymore. I've got a large child to push out in a couple of months!

LOL!  
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

• I somehow missed the question about LO.

Like pps, I hope baby girl and my DS learn to love being active.  My mom is a firecracker and has always been very active and I appreciate that about her so much.  Even though I am equally dedicated I still ended up with some health problems that are linked to being overweight although in my case it was mostly very bad luck, terrible genes and a medication that pushed me into it, but I'm hoping that this is something my children avoid.
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

• Hi all! @megbmeg hope your night was more enjoyable than your day!

Hurdles this week were significant. My BIL, his wife and kids were staying with us for a week after arriving from Greece and until they got settled in their rental place. That involved the typical house-full-of-people struggles, plus helping with a lot of other stuff like setting up bank accounts, getting a lease signed, getting the kids registered from school, and helping clean the new house/move in.

I have also been out of breath for a couple of days. I'm asthmatic, so I expect a certain amount of it, especially while pregnant. But lately I can't even finish a sentence or walk DOWN the stairs without being completely winded. It wasn't getting better so I went to my PCP today. Turns out I have some kind of respiratory infection requiring antibiotics and lots of airway inflammation. (This probably should go on the vent thread!)

Anyways, I worked up a good sweat for several hours doing a full day of cleaning for the rental place earlier this week, and did about 3 miles on the treadmill another. Hopefully I get past this quickly so I can pick back up with some exercise.

Echoing PPs, I hope LO adopts an active life style. I don't really have one and really have to push myself to get in physical activity. I worry about successfully instilling a value that I think is important but don't always practice!
    Married 11/9/13
    TTC since Jan 2014
    BFP 4/4/14, EDD 12/06/14
    image BabyFruit Ticker

• Another decent week. Still feel like I'm gaining too much weight too fast :/ but I'm doing what I can to combat it!

I hope he learns to be healthy by staying active and eating the good stuff but flexible and fun enough to enjoy chocolate cake and some ice cream. I believe in being balanced :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • BrainCellSupBrainCellSup member
    edited September 2014
    I've been keeping up pretty steadily with yoga twice a week, though this past Sunday I got hit with the worst heartburn during class and had no idea what to do. After that it became an all day, every day kind of thing so I got a prescription from my doc as tums wasn't cutting it. Anyway, so I hope that will help as yoga is my primary activity, besides about a mile and a half of walking on weekdays to and from work. I just ordered a support belt since I ended up literally cradling my bump this afternoon as I walked home, I was so uncomfortable.

I hope being active is a natural part of my child's life and he or she never thinks of it as a chore or about being attractive. A tall order in this society but I'll do my best to encourage this attitude!
    BabyFruit Ticker

December '14 November Siggy Challenge - How I Feel in Third Trimester 

• Like ninee88, my hurdles this week were significant. With the start of the semester I will be down from 5 lane swims per week to 3, but the pool was closed on Labour Day so this week it was only 2.

My teaching schedule has me on campus twice a week for 8 hour days each. I teach 4.5 hours per day and hold 3 office hours per day. I have 210 students in all. This means that I am "on" for those whole days pretty much. Anyway, I found this week seriously exhausting so I am hoping I will get into the flow soon.

Also really achy hips at night so poor sleep this week.

I hope LO will learn to love good healthy food and will learn moderation in all things. I do not eat premade or processed food and I have never had Kraft Dinner in my life, so his exposure to food should be quite healthy. I do not watch TV so neither will he. Hopefully we will do a lot of active play together!!
  • This week was decent. PT twice this week, my first attempt back at the gym was a bust (10 minutes on the elliptical) but I went back the next day and got 35 minutes on the treadmill. The first day was a bust since I was sore from PT, dehydrated, and ended up being very light headed and spacey. As DH tells me the important thing is to recognize it so you can stop/modify/prevent injuring yourself and determine a course of action around it.

Fitness goal for LO: just to find activities, hobbies, sports, etc that keep him moving you name it - hiking, running, soccer, dance, etc.

Test
  • This week has been pretty good for workouts, considering my two sons started back to school, 3rd and 6th grade. I missed prenatal yoga this week and it's not looking good for the coming week either! My oldest son has football games every Saturday smack in the middle of yoga, so that's a no-go. And the Thursday night class is tough because I have work this week and book group the following. Not to complain just the logistics of a busy, fun life!
    I got to the gym twice this week, worked out with my my amazing trainer SO who gave me lots of new moves to do in this ever growing body, that was fun! I walked, I jogged with my boys, I did weights at home. So I feel good this week. I only got sick once this week which is awesome and not too debilitating.
    QOTW: I want my son to move, know his body, challenge himself and feel the benefits of moving. I've learned, and continue to learn with my two older sons, that seeing me workout is important but it's more important that I am physical with the boys. We go to the park and set up a variety of sports, as a family, weekly. We played football this week! The joy of fitness has been instilled in them from doing rather than seeing.
  • I'd like to join in on this check-in now. I have been working out for the last 10 weeks. I walk about four miles a day on the days I don't work. That averages about five days a week. I think now that I have a consistent routine and I have been sticking to it I can actively participate here. My daughter loves our morning walks and it has really just become part of our routine. The only thing I deal with is the heat. It is about to be in the 80s soon, so I hope that will be the push I need to keep this up through the third tri. I would love to stay active all the way to the end.

I hope all my children learn that physical activity can be fun, but is also something they need to make time for. Finding time in a busy schedule can be hard, but this is important.
  • I have not gained any momentum in my walking this week. I am going to start prenatal yoga today to help with my thigh pain. I am still taking the dog for walks but I plan on getting more walking done since the temps are finally back in the 70's. I plan on doing 1 mile walks and building back up to 2 miles this week. Wish me luck! 

I plan on teaching my child to be healthy by exercising regularly. Being a couch potato is not an option. I will have to work on limiting sedentary activity as much as possible. My husband had already mentioned putting him in sports early. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @path75 - Good luck with your ramp up the walking plan! And I hope the yoga helps with your thigh pain. In my experience, it took a few classes for the yoga benefits to really add up. Worth it, though!

welcome @caden1206. How great that your daughter is enjoying your walks :)

@linden25 sorry to hear about the cold. Hope you're feeling better by now. I have to confess, a cupcake for dessert doesn't sound too terrible. Hope you enjoyed them a lot! :)

@majoraimers - how cool that your SO can help you with your workouts. Glad it was fun!

@candechicago - I'm sorry your first day at the gym was a bust. Your DH's advice seems wise, though. And I'm impressed you got right back there the next day. Good luck this week!

@mousy345 - wow, that sounds like a busy schedule! And I'm sorry to hear about the sore hips. Have you found anything that helps? Yoga stretches before bed? Pillow between the knees or one knee on a pillow? 

@braincellsup Sorry to hear about the heartburn. That's pretty miserable! I was having bad, all-day heartburn for a couple of weeks, but it has eased off for the last week or two. Fx yours eases up, too. 

@kimberlyc1984 - I'm with you on aiming for balance. Very wise!

@ninee88 - wow, that sounds like a really busy week! So your BIL and family will be living near you now? Are you excited about that, once the chaos settles down a bit? And I hope the respiratory infection clears up soon. It sounds really stressful and uncomfortable!!

• Late checkin - I was camping and off the grid since Friday morning.

I did Crossfit 5 times since last week. Prenatal yoga on Wednesday (DH says he's going to make sure I always get this in because I love the stretching but I'm not good at making time for it), and yesterday we went for a 3 mile hike. I learned from my too-long walk 2 weeks ago and stopped to sit and rest every 15 minutes. Anything getting in my way? Hah, besides the belly?

QOTW: Pretty much what everyone else said. There were great points about enjoying physical activity for its own sake, that it shouldn't be about having the right body, and that enjoying chocolate cake sometimes is perfectly ok. I hope LO learns all of that.
    DD born December 2014!
  • @apsalartoll - camping sounds so lovely!! and it sounds like you had a very active week, and are making great accommodations for yourself so you don't overdo it. I find it weird and even frustrating sometimes when I realize I need to pause a lot more during hikes, etc. but it does make a big difference, doesn't it? Hope you have another great week next week :)

• megbmeg: I really appreciate how you respond to us all so positively. Thanks for your suggestions about my hip pain at night. I have never done yoga, but I will take your advice and look up some yoga stretches to do before bedtime. I have slept better the last couple of nights, so here's hoping a solution is at hand.... Thanks again -- you're great. :-h
  • Mousy345 said:
    megbmeg: I really appreciate how you respond to us all so positively. Thanks for your suggestions about my hip pain at night. I have never done yoga, but I will take your advice and look up some yoga stretches to do before bedtime. I have slept better the last couple of nights, so here's hoping a solution is at hand.... Thanks again -- you're great. :-h
    You are most welcome! Some that help me are:  

Cat/cow
    child's pose (AKA shell pose)
    pinwheel

Good luck!

• I started classes for my certification, chased a puppy around, and started moving. So no actual working out but a lot of physical activity. My downside I can't stop eating!!! I mean everything any waking moment I'm hungry and want to eat something. My thighs are huge :(
  • @mousy345 - another yoga pose I like is very similar to Cat/Cow, but you keep your upper back flat and just tilt your pelvis up and down.  Sometimes when I wake up in the middle of the night with sore hips, this really helps.
    DD born December 2014!
  • @mousy345 - another yoga pose I like is very similar to Cat/Cow, but you keep your upper back flat and just tilt your pelvis up and down.  Sometimes when I wake up in the middle of the night with sore hips, this really helps.
    Ooo good one. I do this standing up too, and it can help. I also like "wag the tail"  - I forgot about that one :)

• Thanks, ladies. Last night was bad with the hip pain again so I am going to do my research and practice these poses/stretches today. I think my wiggling around all night kept husband up because he seemed in a bit of a bad mood when he left for work. Oops @-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"