Breastfeeding
Options

New mom and I'm Trying

My baby boy is 5 days old and ever since we left the hospital it's been an issue with feeding. The thought of using formula never crossed my mind until his appt the next day found that he lost a little too much weight. So I've been using formula and breastfeeding. But another issue is that his latch isn't so great so I've just been pumping and giving the breast when I can. ..any advice please.

Re: New mom and I'm Trying

• Options
    Hang in there mama!  The best thing you can do right now is nurse, nurse, nurse!  Do you have a lactation consultant available who can help with LO's latch?  Your milk is only just now coming in, so nursing is very important. 
  • Options
    Yes there's one available. I wish I would've took a class beforehand. I'm not a big breasted woman-B/C cup- and I have a issue getting his mouth open wide enough. Then my nipples are so sore from the incorrect latch I'll only give him one breast at a time
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would see a LC about the latch ASAP. Also, how much weight has your LO lost?  It's common for BF babies to lose up to 10%. Two of my three lost 12%, and given they were born at 9 lbs 12 oz and 9 lbs 6 oz, both of them lost over a pound in body weight by the end of their first week!  But, the tide will turn when your milk comes in which is usually right around the 5 day mark you are now at.  I would supplement with BM, instead of formula.  I would nurse my LOs, and then pump afterwards.  Especially if your latch is an issue, you may still get an extra 1/2 oz or so after you're done nursing if LO isn't effectively removing the milk.  Then, put this into a bottle that you feed after the next nursing session (maybe DH can give it while you are pumping more).  I was able to get my LOs up to their birth weights by 2 weeks just by supplementing with my own BM.  Definitely get into a LC though, to correct the latch issue.  You can also find several informative youtube videos about latch in the meantime just by Googling it.  GL!

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

• Options
    Thanks everyone. See lc, drop formula, nurse longer, and switch sides. Got it.
  • Options
    Nursing is hard, but you've got this Mama!
    Natural m/c Oct. 2005

Dx: balanced translocation and LPD

TTC since Oct 2011

BPF 02/19/12, EDD 10/31/12, natural m/c 02/28/12 (4w6d)

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    BFP 12/02/12, u/s @ 6w,5d showed 2 HBs! Identical twins!!
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL
    Our rainbows were born 07/19/13 (36w, 5d)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"