Infertility

Chinese Herbs

Hi all. My Accupuncturist wants me to continue taking Chinese herbs after transfer to help keep my body temp elevated. She had me stop during stim. What are your personal opinions? Take or stop? My temps are a little low and it's making me freak out...TIA
Siggy Warning

TTC#1 since June 2012

Dx: Unexplained Infertility / AMA

BFP after 4th IUI cycle with Gonal F + Ovidrel on March 2014 | EDD 12/7/14 | MMC on 4/14/14 

IUI#5 with Gonal F and Ovidrel trigger on 6/6 - BFN

On to IVF #1 with a new RE. Started Gonal F and Menopur on 8/15.  Added Ganirelix on 8/24. Trigger on 8/26 for ER on 8/28. 8R 7M 3F.  Transferred all 3 on 8/31. BFP on 9/11 | EDD 5/20/15 - Beta #1: 56.7. Beta #2: 97. Beta #3: 1148. Beta #4: 3559. Beta #4: 7678. MMC confirmed on 10/13. D&C on 10/14 at 9w. Confirmed male with Trisomy 14.

On to IVF #2 in March. CCS Testing on 2 embies. No go. Waiting to start IVF #3 in July. Surprise BFP on 6/14! EDD - 2/20/16 - Beta #1: 121.4. Beta #2: 236.4. Beta #3: 2014.

December 4image

Re: Chinese Herbs

• I would not take them my RE was okay with it. Good luck with your cycle!
    Me: 34 | He: 40
    TTC since 08/2012
    DX: DOR

• JzylaJzyla member
    edited September 2014
    The term "herbs" is very generic - it really depends what it is and why. I trust my TCM practitioner with my life so have been taking specific herbs for specific reasons throughout. Right now (between retrieval and transfer) I'm just taking arnica (not a C herb) for healing and inflammation, but I will be starting an herb tea post transfer that is anti-MC, which I have taken post-O in the past. I informed my RE but did not 'ask' permission, since they woudn't know what would or wouldn't interact anyways. If you ask, many RE's will say absolutely not, just because they don't have the information to understand the herbs and want to err on the side of caution. My TCMP is very experienced with fertility and IVF and I trust her recommendations. If you're not sure, or don't have that trust, I wouldn't recommend it.
    30 yrs, healthy & TTC since April 2010 
    DH 32yrs & healthy
    *unexplained infertility* 

Regularly access alternative medicine to supplement a lack of resources in our geographical area.
    • Three rounds of clomid (50mg days 3-7) were useless.
    • IUI#1 w/clomid & HCG in May 2013, BFN.
    • IUI#2 w/clomid & HCG on July 23rd. BFN.
    • IUI #3 in August cancelled last minute, due to lab error.
    • IVF#1 - Started Gonal F stims October 13 2013 for IUI. Over-responded with too many follicles, so converted to IVF. Retrieval October 29th - got 5 eggs, 4 fertilized. Had 2 perfect little embryos transferred on day 3 (Nov. 1). The remaining 2 didn't survive to freeze. Got our BFN on November 13th 2013.
    • IVF#2 - Started stims August 21st. Triggered with Suprefact, started on dostinex due to risk of OHSS. Retrieval September 5th - got 27 eggs! 21 embryos on day 3. Embryos deteriorated quickly. ESet 5day blast on Sept 10. No embryos high enough quality to freeze. BFN came Sept. 22.

Reserved a semi-known proven donor in August .

Waiting for consult/screening and protocols with estimated fresh cycle timing in October

• Loading the player...
  • I'm anti-herb.  We do not know what is in there and some alternative medicines can actually be quite harmful.  I would not do this while doing IVF.  If you want to try it on a break cycle, that's another story, but this could really mess things up.  
  • My temps are usually pretty low but artificial progesterone makes me hot as hell. Do you know how artificial progesterone makes you feel? There are also little things you can do without herbs, ginger tea once a day, wearing thermal socks (I love my thermal socks!!). 
    But I am with everyone else I don't think I would use herbs during IVF. 
    me 33- everything looks good
    mister 34- PCD zero motilty 
    TTC#1 using donor sperm
    IUI#1 Dec 2nd-BFN
    IUI# Dec 28th-BFN
    IUI#3 Jan 26th-BFN
    IUI#4  Feb 26th-BFP
    mc March 2014
    IUI#5 April 6th prometrium-BFN
    IUI #6 cancled ovulated too early
    IVF# 1 July
    ER: Aug 3rd: 18R 15M 14F
    10 embryos frozen
    ET: Oct. 7th 1x5BA blast-BFN
    ET: Jan 9th 1x3AA blast- Beta 1/21

imageimageimageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • tifga said:

My temps are usually pretty low but artificial progesterone makes me hot as hell. Do you know how artificial progesterone makes you feel? There are also little things you can do without herbs, ginger tea once a day, wearing thermal socks (I love my thermal socks!!). 

But I am with everyone else I don't think I would use herbs during IVF. 
    That's the thing. I am hot as hell from the Endometrin. I barely sleep w/ a sheet on and sweat like Richard Simmons. I adore my Acupuncturist and do trust her. She took the herbs during her pregnancy. She tells me that my bbt needs to be 98.6 to sustain a healthy pregnancy and I'm no where near that...

Siggy Warning

TTC#1 since June 2012

BFP after 4th IUI cycle with Gonal F + Ovidrel on March 2014 | EDD 12/7/14 | MMC on 4/14/14 

On to IVF #1 with a new RE. Started Gonal F and Menopur on 8/15.  Added Ganirelix on 8/24. Trigger on 8/26 for ER on 8/28. 8R 7M 3F.  Transferred all 3 on 8/31. BFP on 9/11 | EDD 5/20/15 - Beta #1: 56.7. Beta #2: 97. Beta #3: 1148. Beta #4: 3559. Beta #4: 7678. MMC confirmed on 10/13. D&C on 10/14 at 9w. Confirmed male with Trisomy 14.

On to IVF #2 in March. CCS Testing on 2 embies. No go. Waiting to start IVF #3 in July. Surprise BFP on 6/14! EDD - 2/20/16 - Beta #1: 121.4. Beta #2: 236.4. Beta #3: 2014.

December 4image

• That doesn't sound right. The simple fact is no one knows why some people get pregnant and some don't. But I don't belive the deciding factor is your body temp. 
    Do you know what your temps are after ovulation? Maybe you aren't as low when you have progesterone in your system, mine are usually up .1-.2 degrees after I ovulate.
    The fact is while your acupuncturist might be awesome she doesn't know what could go wrong with herbs and the hormones you are being pumped full of.  Feels like it is too much a risk of a bad reaction to me and if I used them and something went wrong I don't know how I would handle it because I know I would blame myself. 
    It is so easy to get stuck in that fear cycle (I know I do it most days) "if I do X then everything could go wrong, but if I don't then things could still fall apart". And when that starts it is so hard to believe that anything will be ok. 
    I am big into acupuncture and TCM (or any kind of natural treatment) so there are other ways to raise body temp if you are worried, I really love https://www.naturalfertilityandwellness.com/ and she had a couple posts about raising body temp. 
    Try not to worry so much (says the pot to the kettle).

On a completely unrelated note we have pretty much the same TTC history, weird!
    me 33- everything looks good
    mister 34- PCD zero motilty 
    TTC#1 using donor sperm
    IUI#1 Dec 2nd-BFN
    IUI# Dec 28th-BFN
    IUI#3 Jan 26th-BFN
    IUI#4  Feb 26th-BFP
    mc March 2014
    IUI#5 April 6th prometrium-BFN
    IUI #6 cancled ovulated too early
    IVF# 1 July
    ER: Aug 3rd: 18R 15M 14F
    10 embryos frozen
    ET: Oct. 7th 1x5BA blast-BFN
    ET: Jan 9th 1x3AA blast- Beta 1/21

imageimageimageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Mine suggested them for natural cycles, but didn't bring it up for medicated/ivf cycles From what I've seen, I probably wouldn't take them on my ivf cycle.

TTC since March 2012
    DX: MFI (4% motility)

Cycle 13: Natural cycle w/ HSG test = BFP
    Identical twins! 
    Lost my angel boys at 10.5 weeks

Cycle 14-16: Natural Cycles = BFN
    Cycle 17: Follistim + Trigger + IUI = BFN
    Cycle 18: Natural Cycle = BFN
    Cycle 19: Follistim + Trigger +IUI#2
    Polyp found: SIS 11/11 - hysteroscopy 11/14
    Cycle 20: Follistim + IUI#2 = BFFN
    Cycle 21: Follistim (adj. dosage) + IUI#3 TI  = BFN
    IUI cancelled due to weather
    Cycle 22: Follistim + IUI#3.1 = BFN

Cycle 23: treatment break, IVF consult
    Cycle 24 - 26: natural cycle w/ acupuncture + Chinese herbs = BFN
    Cycle 27: Follistim + IUI#4 = BFFN
    Natural Cycles until IVF
    Cycle 30: IVF#1 - Starting with Menopur + Follistim + Ganirelix
    17 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 5dt w/ 2 blasts, 5 frosties

Betas:  #1-156(9dp5dt), #2-1200(13dp5) #3-6112(17dp5)
    Ultrasound #1 10/6: 1 bean!
    TEAM BLUE!

My Chart
    ~~ALL WELCOME~~

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @tifga‌ ginger may thin your blood, not typically recommended.
    @Lesliem0901‌ herbs are something you have to be very careful with when TTC. Talk to your RE. A lot of them have side effects that stimulate your uterus and such. It's not worth it. I feel like if it was something that would help, my RE would be telling me to take it.
  • I appreciate the feedback. I am holding off for now.
    Siggy Warning

TTC#1 since June 2012

December 4image

• When I asked me RE if I could do accupuncture, her response was "absolutely, just please don't take any herbs"
  • My ND took me off all supplements prior to starting priming even. (My RE was fine with them right up until stimming.)

My understanding is that your BBT is related to the amount of progesterone your body is producing? Since you'll be on supplements, I wouldn't worry about it, particularly after transfer.

image imageimage

***EVERYONE WELCOME***
    TTC #2 with assistance since 03/11
    Me: 33, Autoimmune (Hashimotos and FMS/CFS)
    Treated with Synthroid, acupuncture, TCM and supplements
    DH: 33, MFI (very low on all counts, high antibodies, hemochromatosis)
    Many treatments tried, none successful

IVF/ICSI #1 05/14 - EPP/Antagonist, Gonal-F and Luveris, 18R, 14M, 13F - SET of 1BC, all arrested on day 5 - C/P
    Genetic testing = normal, DNA Frag = excellent
    IVF #2 03/15 - Long protocol with Suprefact, Gonal-F, and possibly Luveris, adding in PICSI

• I wouldn't take them during an ART cycle. I did this once during an IUI and my follices were all over the place until the last day when they all were finally the same size. I don't know if the herbs are to blame for this but I had done a few other IUI cycles with just acupunture and I didn't have this repsonse. So for that reason I wouldn't take then during ART but wouldn't mind during a natural cycle.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"