2nd Trimester

The Death of a Baby

My family and I are reeling today after the loss of my 1-day-old cousin. He was born in a hospital on September 2nd, and died September 3rd due to unknown causes, at which point his body was sent off for autopsy. Results are in, and it turns out he was perfectly healthy with no problems except that he had an extremely high amount of morphine in his body at the time of his death.

Since the autopsy, we've found out that the mother was given morphine during labor on top of her epidural, and she and the baby had a reaction to it. She was rushed for an emergency C-section, and afterward the baby was given no anti-opiate medication to counteract the effects of the morphine. He was also not sent to the NICU. He died later that night, still in the hospital, in his basinet while his mother slept.

I'm 20 weeks pregnant, planning a home birth with a midwife. I've often heard stories about negligence and unnecessary interventions/whatnot in hospitals, but this is one of those things you think will never happen to you or yours until it does. As I sit here, knowing that the baby's body is currently being sent off to a lab in Atlanta for criminal investigation, I can't help being overwhelmed with paralyzing fear. Fear of being transferred, fear of my baby dying, and as I think these selfish thoughts, I have an overwhelming sense of guilt. How can I think of my own baby at a time like this!?

I can't help but wonder how I could protect my own baby in the event that I have to transfer. It seems strange that I've developed such a phobia of going to the hospital to give birth, when most women have the opposite fear and wonder how on earth any sane person could give birth at home. I have no idea how to react, or what to say, and now I have to decide if I can put on my black dress and go up there to this funeral and see that dead baby, and carry that image to my own birth. But how can I not? No one would ever understand, and it wouldn't be right not to go.

Sorry this was so lengthy, and I did also post this on the Natural Birth board under the same name (so you don't see it twice).

imageimage

Re: The Death of a Baby

• I am so sorry beyond words for your family's loss. Unfortunately this was a freak accident and a case of gross negligence on the hospitals part. I think the most important thing to remember if you do need an emergency transfer is that you need to be an active participant in your care, speak up if a procedure raises red flags for you. Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers as you deal with the death of this precious angel, fingers crossed for quick emotional healing for all

Married 07.12.14
    Hannah 12.09.14
    Baby #2 Due 06.18.16
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I have no real advice, but I am so sorry for your family's loss... Devastating. Thoughts going out to you and your family, and especially the precious baby's parents. Hugs.
    ----

• Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry :(

Did the mother know she was allergic to morphine?

• I don't believe she did, but it's hard to say. I haven't spoken to her and she isn't exactly responsive, anyway. I can only hope they wouldn't have given it to her if the allergy was on her chart.
    imageimage
  • Very tragic story.

It would probably really upset a women who just lost a one-day-old, to see a pregnant women. :( Very hard situation. Because, I agree that you shouldn't pass up going.
  • This is a hard one because as family I think it might be hurtful for you not to pay your respects but I also understand the perspective of the other ladies.

You are only 20w, I don't know if you are showing or not. Plus, the mother may not be there the entire time during visitation depending on her state. Maybe consult your uncle.

• Oh lord. I've had one hospital and one home birth. This is absolutely not the situation to bring up your feelings/beliefs about either one. FFS, this tragedy is not about you.
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • First, I am so sorry for your family's loss. It is so tragic when freak things happen because there are never enough answers. I don't blame you for making this "about you" when in reality you are just being empathetic, thinking about how you would feel if you were in those shoes. Its a perfectly human reaction and you shouldn't feel bad about it. 

Second, to the women bashing on this thread...I always love these kind of responses that are all "this is so not appropriate, just go away, etc." Its always the same women that say "this is the interwebz and I will post whatever I want wherever I want, you can't tell me what to do." You appropriately titled the thread, which I almost didn't open because I knew exactly what it was about. If someone doesn't want to read it, they don't have to open it because the title is not vague in any way.

Third, I second what a lot of ladies say about attending the funeral. You may want to check with family before attending because the feelings of the Mother and Father are the most important right now and need to be respected. I say check with family because they may feel slighted if you don't go and they want you to or they may find it hard to see a pregnant woman while they are grieving. You need to find out which is more likely before making a decision. 
    photo DSC_7607-Version2_zps4129cb9d.jpg funny gifs

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• I am sorry for the loss of your family. 

But where in the fresh hell do you get off coming onto a board of (mostly) pregnant women and trying to fear-monger hospital births? There's nothing "safer" about a home birth than a hospital one. In many cases they are riskier. This is coming from someone who would prefer a home birth but can't have one for a plethora of reasons. 

It's normal to think "what if it happened to me" in tragic situations, especially those close to home that we can relate to. If you are "paralyzed with fear" and "overwhelmed with guilt" you need to speak to a therapist about these feelings. As someone who has previously stated on these boards you work in mental health care - to some degree - I fail to see how you cannot realize this is not rational behaviour.

Now for the love of all things holy, step off. 
    I've never stated that I work in mental health care. I'm a paralegal. I'm afraid you have me confused with someone else.
    imageimage
  • My heart is in my throat on this :(  What a horrible & tragic loss all around.  Prayers to the parents of this poor baby. 

I can see both sides of this comment divide.... OP is very clear in one thing: sadness.  I would agree that maybe before posting some thought should have been given to those on the board who would reward this & take it negatively? That it can be read as though a tragedy is being used to further an agenda. BUT it was properly titled & yes we do all have the choice to read or not read. (& of course anyone posting here knows that anything can be ripped to shreds very quickly)  Also, we as a group should realize that everyone deals with grief & overwhelming sadness differently... maybe OP was thinking she was 'helping others' with her thoughts?  I'm not sure.  I'm NOT trying to bash either side of it, just make some sense in my own head.  Like I said, I can see both sides...& a lot of anger in some of the posts which I'd think is normal as none of us want to think of 'worst case scenario' stuff do we?

Regardless of the divide amongst posters I'd hope we can all agree on one thing:

This was tragic & NO parent should out live their child & experience that type of loss or grief  :(

Thoughts & prayers to the sweet sleeping angel <3 

• @BabyBsOven‌ : this is NOT empathy at ALL. There is "let me use this tragedy to push an anti hospital birth agenda & then omg I feel so bad. What about my birth & such?!" It's not about OP. I heard no consideration for the mother that actually lost her child. Just "what if it happens to me? & I have to go to this funeral because me me me." Seriously, if you think this is empathy you need your head examined.
    Im not trying to white knight anything. Im responding to some comments on here. It absolutely is empathy. OP specifically said  "Fear of being transferred, fear of my baby dying, and as I think these selfish thoughts, I have an overwhelming sense of guilt. How can I think of my own baby at a time like this!?" 

On top of sadness, OP expressed guilt for thinking about herself. I am sorry but I think the same things sometimes. When I hear about a child in a hot car death, I first think "poor baby" and then "OMG, I would be devastated. How could I prevent this happening to my child? What would I have done? How would I have felt?" and it could come off as me-me-me if I said it out loud. Its a natural reaction. 

Anyway, OP stepped back in and clarified things very well so I don't think I need to put any more words in her mouth or try to interpret anything she said. 

• @BabyBsOven‌ : this is NOT empathy at ALL. There is "let me use this tragedy to push an anti hospital birth agenda & then omg I feel so bad. What about my birth & such?!"

It's not about OP. I heard no consideration for the mother that actually lost her child. Just "what if it happens to me? & I have to go to this funeral because me me me."

Seriously, if you think this is empathy you need your head examined.

Im not trying to white knight anything. Im responding to some comments on here. It absolutely is empathy. OP specifically said  "Fear of being transferred, fear of my baby dying, and as I think these selfish thoughts, I have an overwhelming sense of guilt. How can I think of my own baby at a time like this!?" 

On top of sadness, OP expressed guilt for thinking about herself. I am sorry but I think the same things sometimes. When I hear about a child in a hot car death, I first think "poor baby" and then "OMG, I would be devastated. How could I prevent this happening to my child? What would I have done? How would I have felt?" and it could come off as me-me-me if I said it out loud. Its a natural reaction. 

Anyway, OP stepped back in and clarified things very well so I don't think I need to put any more words in her mouth or try to interpret anything she said. 

This is by definition white knighting...

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• So disagreeing with you is white knighting? Okay, Im white knighting then.

• So disagreeing with you is white knighting? Okay, Im white knighting then.

You can disagree with me but you are defending some really gross actions. OP's "clarification" really wasn't that great. :|

:-??

I think you are confused about what white knight means...

"In forum parlance, it means rushing to the aid of another poster for whatever reason. An accusation typically reserved for when a poster is being hammered by another poster(s) and the accused leaps in to defend them, usually without thinking things through as to why the person is being attacked."

Plenty of people disagree with me without defending someone using another's tragedy to AW.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• I am just so sorry for the moms loss.  I can see both sides in this situation and I think I can understand why OP sees hospital births as unsafe now.  End of the day, this is just a bad freak accident.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am sorry for your family loss. I would suggest for you not to go to that funeral. I know you want to be there for support but when I loss my baby I wouldn't want anyone near me not to mention a pregnant woman. That's just a blow to the gut. Just like another person here suggested send a card, flowers, a frozen meal will help. That mother is in a numbing stage, a shock & will forever live with this for the rest of her life. Not everyone has the option to have a home birth, I, myself am a  high risk patient. Had all preemies, a stillbirth & Lupus. And BTW the way you referred to her son as "that dead baby" is hurtful & disgusting. Call him by his name. You are scared to carry the image of that sweet baby in your head now imagine the hundreds of women who have to carry with them the image of their stillborn son/daughter for their rest of their lives. Every pregnancy has it's risk, not everyone want to admit it. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• I am just so sorry for the moms loss.  I can see both sides in this situation and I think I can understand why OP sees hospital births as unsafe now.  End of the day, this is just a bad freak accident.
    This, although the data shows that neonatal mortality is three times higher among home births than hospital births. So it is a matter of bias for OP, but not actually supported by fact.
    Depending on which study you are quoting, this is not actually true.  Many studies that compare the two count ANY out of hospital birth as a home birth, including unplanned home births, unassisted births and sometimes even late miscarriages.  Studies that compare hospital births vs. planned home births attended by CNMs show very similar neonatal and maternal mortality rates.

I still don't think OP should be making this tragedy about her or her birthing preferences.
    Anniversary 
  • That is so awful!!! I'm so sorry for your family's loss!!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"