Working Moms
Options

S/O: what has surprised you about living with your income?

I think we've now demonstrated that a whole lot of people on this board make more money than average but are surprised to find that their spending power is lower than they expected it to be. We also seem to have agreed that there are a lot of people facing much grimmer financial realities, so let's take that as a given. 

Putting that aside, I'm curious to hear what has most surprised you about what it feels like to actually live with your current income, versus what your expectations were as a young adult.

For example, DH and I make way more than I thought we would but my clothing budget is a tiny fraction of what I assumed a "grown-up professional" clothing budget would be.  When I was in high school/college I always thought I cared about clothes, but when it comes to allocating real dollars, it tends to fall by the wayside for me.  I also find that what I thought would be a fairly typical Saturday night date for two parents in their thirties (babysitter + restaurant + bottle of wine + movie tickets) actually seems like a big rare splurge.

Anyone else?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: S/O: what has surprised you about living with your income?

• Options
    Um, everything.

Even when I was in college I thought that I'd be able to afford luxury cars/clothes and go on expensive vacations.  Now, DH and I would rather max out retirement, save for kids college, put a sizable down payment on a home.

Of course, I now think that I'll be able to do all those fun things when we retire so maybe I'll have the same realization then.  Ha!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Options

I never thought we'd be debating on having a second LO due to finances.  Went to college, made good financial decisions, make good salaries.  Of course we would have two children, right?!?!  Guess not. 

I never thought I would be wishing we lived closer to our parents so that we could swing some sort of creative childcare solution.

DS 11.24.11
    MMC 3.30.16
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    When I reflect on what I earned in my first full-time job and where I am today (15+ years later because old), I am most shocked at how the numbers are hugely different but the way it "feels" is barely different at all.  Yes, we have kids and a mortgage and two car payments, none of which would be possible AT ALL on my starting salary (sharing a sketchy apartment with 2 roommates was barely possible on that salary), but in my head I always thought that if I earned what I earn today I would not be stressed about finances and that is absolutely not the case.
  • Options
    amy052006 said:
    Up keep of a damn house.  One, just how much it costs to keep the thing running, let alone where you want it to be.  Two, how much you stop caring about things related to said damn house.

I've wanted new living room furniture for a while.  Last week DS wrote on the chair with pen.  Previously, I would ahve said, "We need new furniture, this is ruined".  Now my reaction is "there is no way in hell I am buying new shit until he stops writing/spilling/peeing on the furniture".
    Add an incontinent old dog to the mix and this is us.  I refuse to buy a nice dining room table, couch or rug until both stop making messes.  
  • Options
    amy052006 said:
    Up keep of a damn house.  One, just how much it costs to keep the thing running, let alone where you want it to be.  Two, how much you stop caring about things related to said damn house.

I've wanted new living room furniture for a while.  Last week DS wrote on the chair with pen.  Previously, I would ahve said, "We need new furniture, this is ruined".  Now my reaction is "there is no way in hell I am buying new shit until he stops writing/spilling/peeing on the furniture".
    I'm with you on that!  I distinctly remember buying "starter furniture" at Ikea almost a decade ago.  Turns out.... that's still where I buy a lot of furniture.  I told DH we're not buying any rug that costs more than $200 until everyone is potty trained.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    DH and I also make a pretty good income, we just took a family trip to the Bahamas in May which was lovely. I'm surprised at how after paying all of my bills and buying whatever DS needs, I very rarely have money to splurge on clothes for myself. I've pretty much given up on the whole thing and I just stick with my uniform and sweatpants on the weekend. Rent has gone up since we have moved, but that isn't much of an issue at all.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    jtmomma13jtmomma13 member
    edited August 2014

We make decent money but it never seems like enough. As we are saving for a down payment for a house and looking at new listings I am just amazed at how expensive our area actually is. It's baffling me that for $410,000 I can buy a (maybe) 1300 SF house that needs new EVERYTHING. I've had to really readjust my expectations and am working on readjusting H's. There are lower cost areas of real estate around where we are looking but the school systems are so bad that we'd have to do private school...and well the cost of private school is like having another mortgage at least! 

Also, the cost of date nights are ridiculous. And so are clothes. Two shirts at the LOFT- $75 and that was buy one get one 50% off! I don't know how I afforded all these clothes before I got pregnant! 
  • Options
    I thought that making what we make now would give us the life we want, but with two kids in daycare, a mortgage, college funds, and retirement all coming out of our budget, there isn't much discretionary spending left. And date night? Yeah, that's a big splurge--one that we rarely take advantage of these days.

Before kids, we took international vacations, ate at nice restaurants on a semi-regular basis, and bought pretty much whatever we wanted to. Now, we just try to cash flow everything but our mortgage, drive older cars, and make saving a priority.

Life is expensive.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    For me it was the difference in salary based on career. I was so naive. I never realized that my chosen field (and DH's chosen field) would result in such a lower income than what my parents/IL made.

Ditto what others said about houses. When we moved in there were a couple of projects I would have likes to fix up (ex. 20 year old carpet throughout 90% of the house). It's so much easier and cheaper to let it be, I don't think we will ever do optional home improvement.

Also PTO. I would have assumed we would have no problem going on one family vacation every year, but almost every single day of my PTO gets used up taking off for major Jewish holidays. Even if we can afford to take a vacation, we can't afford for me to take unpaid days.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I grew up on poor but not destitute. So, now, being solidly middle to upper middle class, I feel pretty darn rich most of the time. Like, I can buy fresh fruit all the time and cheese that doesn't come prepackaged in slices! It's amazing. 

That being said, it blows my mind at how big the numbers are and how little we have to show for them sometimes. Mostly, I didn't expect how much money we would end up pouring into our house (needed a new a/c and heater last year and a new roof this year - ouch! Luckily those will last us a good long while). I am also crazy surprised at just how expensive child care is. We always toyed with the idea of having three, but I'm spending more on day care for one (~14K/year) than I did on college (~10K/year including books/etc) so there is no way. 
  • Options
    I think I'm more surprised by the fact that I was able to get by on so little back then and somehow it all worked out.

Now, with every pay increase comes an expense increase of some kind so it seems as though I never see that raise.
  • Options
    catbenatar said:
    I'm pretty horrified that we can't afford to buy a house. Although let me clarify. I can't afford a nice house (and no, I'm not paying $500k for a 2-bedroom townhouse that hasn't been updated since 1983). I really thought we'd have a house at this point. I now see why so many young couples are foregoing homeownership.
    Seriously.  I was just looking at homes that just hit the market in my area.  I wanted to weep.  I honestly don't see us moving out of our old small home anytime soon.  
  • Options
    DH and I make about 2/3 of what we did when DS was born due to his layoff the same week that I took a huge paycut. He now works a much lower paying job and I'm actually unemployed, though still receiving severance pay. When I was pregnant, we figured out we could squeak by on that higher income and now that we are making a lot less, we are actually doing fine.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Beevol said:
    That being said, it blows my mind at how big the numbers are and how little we have to show for them sometimes.

Beevol said it.  Even as recently as 5 years ago, I thought that 6 figures meant a mcmansion and bmw and european vacations every year. F*ck, I'd settle for getting my nails done every couple weeks.

Sometimes I'm embarrassed at how little we actually have to show for ourselves.  We'll be in our 40s before we can buy a house, if we even bother at that point. We have decent 401ks, but my husband still has student loans and we have bare-bones savings. 

Some of this is because of our daughter's health issues.  And we live in one of the best states for health insurance, in terms of what they're forced to cover!  Yet every year we shell out thousands.  I can't imagine what families do when they have kids with autism or similar diseases and need all kinds of therapy. 

I had a similar upbringing - we were lower middle class until fifth grade, when my dad was laid off the second time.  We were on wic and foodstamps but I remember taking plain buttered bread to school for lunch.  To this day, I overspend on food, buying way more than we can eat, because I feel an insane amount of anxiety over having an empty fridge and cabinets.  I can't relax until they're overflowing.

Food insecurity sucks.
  • Options
    Like previous posters have said, I am surprised that I have to look at buying a new pair of jeans or running shoes like a major life decision. And I used to get my hair done every 4 weeks- now it's 8 if I'm lucky and that's my luxury spend. I guess that I always imagined that we'd be taking trips to Disney by now or something. 

• Options
    sugarbear0524sugarbear0524 member
    edited August 2014
    I feel pretty blessed by where DH and I are. Our biggest expense other than our mortgage is that DS is in private preschool. While it is expensive for our area at $900/month, it is doable. Pre-K is free in our public school so that will go down to $400/month for after school care in the fall of 2015. 

We live on a written budget. That's the only way to know where our money goes. Wish we had more discretionary money, but we have other priorities right now.

We have a financial plan in motion and live within our means. We have 401k plans and a state pension, as well as some money in savings. We have good health insurance that is very affordable. We are 3 months away from being debt free except for our mortgage. Our son has 2 college funds going, thanks to grandparents. We will start adding after our emergency fund is in better shape.

Saving will be our next priority after the debt is gone. We'd like to get to the point of having $15,000 in emergency fund savings. We are going to save up for our next car, too. 

Very thankful that we are in a low cost of living area. DH and I make $85,000 together and that goes much farther here than in a lot of other places. It also made home ownership possible. 
  • Options
    I expected to have a higher paying job than I do now.  I graduated right when the economy went to shit and had a hard time finding a job period and then when I did, it paid a lot lower than I planned.  Pre-graduation, I figured that we'd have a bigger/newer house with more land, take nice vacations and that I would've gotten a new car a lot sooner than I did.  Then reality hit.

DH and I don't make a lot of money, but we do pretty well for our area which has a pretty LCOL.  Compared to when we first started out, we're doing a lot better, but we still can't afford to spend much on clothes, vacations, house repairs, etc.  Maybe its been ingrained in our minds because of not having much $ in previous years, but we still consider many purchases to be "splurges."  

To be honest though (and I'm sure this will get some eyerolls), I'm kind of glad we didn't get all we thought we deserved.  It's kept us very humble and grateful for what we have.  
  • Options
    DH and I are both engineers. I didn't realize that career choice would make such a big impact on our income. And neither of our parents had much money when we were growing up, so we had low expectations. I never expected to be able to afford to shop somewhere nicer than JC Penney. I never dreamed of driving a luxury car. I just wanted to be able to buy groceries whenever I wanted and not wait until payday. As a student intern, I was making more money than my mother. Right out of college I was making more than my father. Within a couple years, I was making more than both of them combined. Add DH's income to that, and we can afford a lot more than our parents had. We're comfortable financially (even with 3 kids in daycare) because (1) we're naturally savers, not spenders, (2) we're in a LCOL area, (3) our expectations for our adult lives were based on the environment where we grew up, and we are satisfied living below our means (4) we have relatively high paying jobs that didn't require a ton of schooling, so not much for student loans
    Formerly known as ms.mittens Jude 12/31/2008 Ezra 2/10/2011 Nora 7/23/2013 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm not so much shocked at anything related to our income as I am shocked where the hell all that money went before it was allocated to whatever we're using it for now.  I mean, yes, pay goes up a little each year but neither of us has received any major promotions or raises so why do we not have a shit load of money from before we were paying a mortgage, a daycare bill that rivals that mortgage and then all the other costs associated with two little kids.  I mentally kick my own ass on the regular over how frivolous we were.
    A thousand times this. The house we lived in before we had our son was even totally paid for and we had no student or credit card debt. Granted we made a little less money but, geez, we both could've been driving Porsches with how much we apparently just blew on nothing. Now that we have real bills, I question daily where all of our money went before buying our new house and having our son. We're not poor by any means but we could have had so much in savings if we controlled ourselves better. In our slight defense, we never planned on having kids but changed our minds at 36/37 so we never really thought we'd have to save for someone else.

• Options
    We recently bought our family home and I also went back to work after being a sahm after 4 years, Amazing we now have doubled our income and we have less money than we did before due to daycare and nanny costs, and when it comes to taking care of our home we ,ale it a priority. The good news is daycare will be cheaper as soon as both kids are in school.....so maybe in 2 years I can go shopping for me again...lol!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I second everything going up but income.

I don't get raises at work anymore since I went part time (thanks, rigid public sector pay structure) but even if I was still FT, my employer has given step increases twice in the last six years and cost-of-living increases once, while foisting more of the ever-increasing insurance premiums on the employee.

Meanwhile, the cost of child care, electric, gas, homeowner's insurance, meat, groceries, insurance deductibles, real estate taxes, etc have all gone up.

baby girl  5.12
  • Options

I think I'm just surprised by how expensive everything is generally.  I mean DH and I make close to $200K combined and we cannot afford to put money into savings, and since we got married I think we have been on two vacations.  I get my hair cut like twice a year, haven't had a mani/pedi since before DS was born, and the last girls' night out I had was when I was about 4 months pregnant (DD is now 4 months old).  Our childcare is about 50% more than our mortgage, our student loans are about equal to our mortgage, and that's about it.  We also live in a HCOL area (where I grew up, where law school was). 

Ten years ago, if you had asked me what I would be doing with $200K pre-tax income, I would have told you, "Ordering my butler to bring me some more bon bons."

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers 

BFP #1 6/28/11 ~ EDD 3/7/12 ~ m/c 7/15/11 at 6w2d
    BFP #2 8/29/11 ~ EDD 5/12/12. 4/25/12: Our take home baby is here!
     BFP #3 8/27/13 ~ EDD 5/11/14.  4/27/14:  Our second take home baby is here!

• Options

DH and I are both engineers. I didn't realize that career choice would make such a big impact on our income. And neither of our parents had much money when we were growing up, so we had low expectations. I never expected to be able to afford to shop somewhere nicer than JC Penney. I never dreamed of driving a luxury car. I just wanted to be able to buy groceries whenever I wanted and not wait until payday. As a student intern, I was making more money than my mother. Right out of college I was making more than my father. Within a couple years, I was making more than both of them combined. Add DH's income to that, and we can afford a lot more than our parents had. We're comfortable financially (even with 3 kids in daycare) because (1) we're naturally savers, not spenders, (2) we're in a LCOL area, (3) our expectations for our adult lives were based on the environment where we grew up, and we are satisfied living below our means (4) we have relatively high paying jobs that didn't require a ton of schooling, so not much for student loans

@mittensonkittens‌ , are we the same person? My husband and I are also both engineers and never realized how great our career choice would be for our finances. We have high incomes, no debt, and live in a LCOL area in the Midwest. I grew up with money being right and I now I have the opposite problem: how to teach my kids to be grateful when Mom and Dad can afford everything. The thing that surprises me most is that even though I can afford to spend money now, I still don't like doing it. After 8 years, my jeans are starting to wear out and I'm kind of bothered that I have to buy another pair. My teenaged self would have been stoked to have plenty of money to drop on a new pair of jeans, but now I'm trying to figure out how to buy a pair that will last me 10 years and not cost too much. I really wish my old ones would just un-fray!

• Options
    I thought that the amount I make now would have made me able to spend a lot more on luxuries and still have a load to save...Now that our first baby is born OMG the expenses during and post pregnancy are absolutely crazy..and we are actually doing pretty good..how do people survive or start families with less I have no idea

I took 2 months of unpaid leave after my baby was born and my bank account is almost empty at this point!

I do agree with the PPs who said that the more you make the more you spend..it's so true
    imageimage
    God Bless You my Little One
    Farida, our first child, born on the 19th of July 2014
    Farida, at 8 weeks
  • Options
    If someone had told me 10 years ago what DH and I would be making now, I would have thought we'd be driving luxury cars and have a lot of extra money for big trips, etc.  Yes, we can splurge on some things (like the $580 laptop we bought yesterday), but on a normal basis, we get everything on sale.  (And I get most of my clothes and the kids' clothes at Kohls, The Limited, Zulily, and outlet stores.)  And yes, I would agree with the statement that the more we make, the more we spend.  We live in a MCOL area, but in a more expensive suburb.  We eat out a lot more than we used to.  With DH's new job and bigger paycheck, we'll be able to pay some things off faster than we had anticipated a few months ago.  But then our goal is to put that money into savings so we can pay off our house before DS goes to college and actually retire some day.  :)
  • Options
    My biggest frustration is the housing costs where I live (Boston area).  I pay $1,900 for rent and still need to spend 1.5 hrs commuting 7 miles one way because housing is so too expensive to actually live in Boston.  It is frustrating to me that I earn about $110k a year (I'm a single mom so it's just my income and split some costs with my son's father), and still can't afford a reasonable 2 bedroom to live in the city where I work.  I love my job and have no desire to live elsewhere, but the situation is completely annoying to me.  I also hate that as I pay so much for rent, my chances of successfully saving for a large down payment on a house are pretty much slim to nil.  And let's not even go into daycare/preschool costs where I live (the center near my work is $2400 per month full time), luckily his grandma has watched him so far which has been a big help. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    This has been a great post to help me feel not alone.  Good thing (haha) I spent a lot on nice work clothes before I had kids b/c I haven't bought a new thing since.  Totally thought I'd be a stylish dresser, but priorities...

And to echo what others have said, I live comfortably but grew up on the poor side so I'm still pretty thrifty.  I think my upbringing helps me be financially responsible and aware of what things cost.  However, I do wonder how I'm going to teach my children that value when (so far) they haven't had to struggle.  We definitely don't spoil them and I buy most toys and clothes second hand, so hope they understand the value of money.
  • Options

I guess I never had huge expectations, but am very happy where we ended up.  DH and I both grew up in solid middle class families, with nice houses, great school systems, annual vacations, etc. We were both fortunate. 

Now we make much more than our parents did and have a lifestyle I really always dreamed of.  We are doing really well.  We have nice pensions and retirement plans.  We're able to save money for both ourselves and DD's education. We can travel, my absolute favorite thing.  We both work hard and enjoy our careers.

Sometimes really, really want to spend more time with DD, but that is one good thing about having her later in life.  I will be able to retire in 11 years and hopefully take her (and a potential 2nd child) high school year off. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"