Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Air travel with toddler-long flights?

For those that have traveled with your LOs, do you think it's best to take one long flight or have multiple stops?

We are planning a Hawaii trip and the flight is about 14 hours with 1 stop. At first I was thinking, this is the best option but now I'm thinking maybe having a flight with multiple stops might be a better idea. He will be around close to 18 months by then. Maybe the layover at the airport will give him a change for scenery and a chance to walk around. 

Re: Air travel with toddler-long flights?

• AsivecAsivec member
    edited August 2014
    I did this at 9 months. I would recommend that you get a direct flight if at all possible. It sounds like you're on the east coast. I know Newark and dc both offer this through united. Beware of having to switch planes in a large airport. Make sure they call ahead and get you assistance if it's a 30 minute layover or less.
    New quiet toys, a carrier to wrangle LO on the plane, ear plugs for the people around you, and lots of puffs/snacks/food. Think of liquids that can be bought for LO in the airport like yogurt, ect.
    A seat for LO would be ideal (with car seat) but I get that it's like $$$$ for a seat. Rental car seats are super gross (we made this mistake) so bring your own. A stroller is awesome to have too! Most airlines will gate check a seat or stroller for you for free.

Good luck. At 9 months was hard enough, I couldn't imagine 18 months. Just stay calm and hope for the best!

ETA:
    Sorry if I ranted and gave to much info. I just reread the question... So 1 stop or less if possible.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We took DS to Mexico when he was around 15 months.  We had a stop over which made our total travel time around 7 hours.  The plus side of the stop over was the airport (Dallas) had a playground inside of it.  Check to see if the airport has something like that. 

Best of luck on the flight.  If you can get an overnight flight for the 14 hours that would be awesome.  That way your LO would be sleeping most of the time.  I cannot get DS to sleep on a plane anymore so travel for us can be challenging.  I don't have many tricks.  Just get prepared for your LO to climb all over you on the flight.  If you can afford a seat then I highly recommend that just to give you some extra space for your LO.

;

• Loading the player...
  • If you can time the flights/layovers where they coincide with a meal time, that might be ideal. I've only done 6 hr flights with 1 layover. Granted, my kids normally crash out on the plane. If you can afford the seat, get one and use the car seat. My kids are much less likely to protest and more likely to nap if they are in their carseat. This past summer I was flying by myself so I couldn't wrestle the kids and the carseats onto the plane, but with snacks, his paci and lovey and the overwhelming white noise, my DS crashed on at least 1 leg of each flight if not both. GL!
    imageimage
  • The fewer layovers the better! If it's overnight flight that'd be ideal cause LO might crash out for the big chunk of it. We travel a lot with DS as we live overseas. And I hate layovers. It's so much fuss getting all the stuff from and on the plane. I always prefer longer flights to multiple ones. 
     CafeMom TickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
    image image
  • Thanks everyone! I'm still torn on what to book after looking at more flight. We are flying from the east coast, so we can take a flight right to Honolulu, 11 hours then fly to another island which is less than an hour  (not sure which one yet) or fly to LA 6 hours hen directly to the island for another 6 hours. 

My little guy loves to move around. I know we will be walking around the plane but I'm wondering how long that will last for on a 11 hour flight. Unfortunately there are no late flight options out of the east coast so we will probably only get in two naps. That's why I figured the flight broken up in two 6-hour chunks might give him a change in scenery. I only plan on carrying one bag during the flight. We aren't bringing a stroller since I wear him most of the time and we aren't bringing a carseat (renting one through a baby rental). 
  • I wanted to add my flight from Newark to Honolulu (10 hrs) was very laid back on united. Not that they weren't safe, but it wasn't a problem to stretch legs, ect. I also was able to wear my LO during the entire flight including take off and landing. Almost everyone slept both ways so shades were drawn and the cabin was relatively quiet. We upgraded to plus seating and had free movies to watch as well (including kid friendly).

If they serve free drinks it would be wise to bring a cup with a lid for the adults (and kids too) or not partake. I was a sticky mess and my LO was asleep!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @lalamama81   For what we have planned, we don't need a stroller. I very rarely use a stroller so both my husband and I are used to carrying him around all day.  I'm curious why it's not recommended to rent car seats? I've heard people say that the rental car seats can be dirty. We are renting a car seat from a specialty baby renting company not the car rental place. We have two large Graco Smart Seat car seats which are very heavy and bulky. I'm not even sure how we would bring that on the plane and I'm nervous checking it in. I don't want to risk it getting damaged on the flight or not arriving with our luggage. 

@asivec  This is our second time going to Hawaii and I've been on a United flight from Newark to Honolulu. It was years ago but I also remember it being laid back. I remember seeing a few parents walking around during the flight. I guess now that I'm in that situation I'm not sure what to do. My fear is that he will have a breakdown on the flight and everyone will hate us. 
  • I just flew United, Kuwait - DC (13 h) and back a month ago. I was alone with LO on my lap. And it wasn't a nightmare as I expected. DS had a few very mild meltdowns but nothing serious. I was able to walk with him on the plane. But he slept most of the flight (it was overnight flight). I did take a ton of snacks and his fav toys and cartoons on my kindle. 

You should do what you think will be most comfortable for you and your LO. And if your LO is a little unhappy on the plane remember that the flight will end and you will never meet people from the plane again. I repeat this as a mantra every time we fly with LO. And we fly every 3-4 months all over the world (DH's work related). 
     CafeMom TickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
    image image
  • Using a used car seat is like taking pills some random person hands to you and swears they're safe.  It's just not safe because you have no idea what happened before it was in your possession.  Even well intentioned people may not realize they've compromised a seat so it's not people being deceptive.  If they don't know not to wash the straps or wash the seat with chemicals or that a small fender bender counts as a crash, they won't tell you so.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Remember a copy of a birth certificate if you're having a lap baby. I think they are allowed until 2 but once they get close the airlines want money for the seat. Also make sure your lap baby has a boarding pass!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think for a flight that long, it would be best to have a lay over half way.  I know my kids get restless & like to run around during the layovers.  I've found bringing my own carseats on the airplane is best for less wiggles with the kids, but it's a huge PITA to lug two seats through the airport so it doesn't happen often.

Good luck!

Lilypie - (A6Jy)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"