Multiples
Options

Tandem BFing Logistics at Night

So, how does/did this work for you in the newborn phase? I am trying to figure out what I need for sleeping arrangements to pull this off (I am 35 weeks and stressing out about this detail now). My DH will get up and help me get situated for as long as I need it, but I would like to eventually to do it on my own. Our house is setup to where our master and the twins room are on the main floor, but are on opposite ends of the house. I have a formal sitting room I was planning on using as our "day nursery" which is in between the bedrooms. I will have my set-up in there for feeding on the couch but am not sure where everyone should sleep at night and how to arrange it for efficiency sake. If we sleep in my room then I have to have a way to get them to the day nursery in order to feed them, do I get a bassinet with wheels (will they both fit in a single bassinet for 2-3 months)? Or can I carry both to the nursery to feed them at the same time (thinking of carrying 2 seems odd)? I will eventually put them in their room at 10-12 weeks but prefer for them to sleep in the same room as me at first. Am I over thinking this? Any advice? I only have experience with a singleton - TIA!!

Me: 37 DH: 40 TTC since 9/09
#1 BFP 1/10/11; missed m/c discovered 7w5d
IF Dx: Endo, hetero MTHFR mutation, poor morphology
#1 IUI: 1/18/12 = BFN
#1 IVF/ICSI 4/2/12 = 2 x 7-cell and 1 x 5-cell transferred (3dt) = BFP!!
H was born at 41w2d on 12/29/12 - be still my heart!
#2 IVF/ICSI 1/19/14 = 2 x 8 cells transferred (3dt) = BFP!! EDD 10/09/14
M&W born at 37 weeks on 9/18/14 - I am the momma of 3 boys!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Tandem BFing Logistics at Night

• Options
    I too used the my brest friend twin pillow and would just sit up in bed with my back to the headboard. My twins both slept in an arm's reach co sleeper for the first 3.5 months. When they were that small I could get them both in bed in front of me and put them on the pillow. Our routine is a bit different now that they sleep seperately and on opposite sides of the bed (still in the same room), but I still tandem feed 100% when we're at home. Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks for the input! I have a DS I EBF'd for a year but one seems so much easier than two, even in my head - ack!! I just figured doing it in the bed would be difficult with two (I do have the twin breastfeeding pillow). I will definitely try it out though. It would be nice if DH could sleep more at night so I could nap more during the day (he has 4 weeks paternity leave with me and DS will be in daycare) but if he has to help with every feeding for 4 weeks, then I guess that's just how it will go - that just seems like a long time. I know sleep is a precious precious thing so I am trying to find ways for us to both maximize it and how I can be independent more quickly. Again, thanks for the feedback ladies - and wish me luck ;)

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    No matter how much you think about it, you may need to change things. We started in one room with them sharing one crib, eventually figured out I needed an upholstered chair, and ultimately moved into another room that is big enough for our bed and 2 cribs.

I was never a fan of the twin my Brest friend, but particularly hated it in bed, it wound up too awkward with my legs under it. The upholstered chair worked for a while, but is probably too small to fit them both now (3 1/2 mon). I tandem at bedtime sitting on the bed (2 pillows behind me, 1 pillow under each baby). Overnight I feed one at a time on my side (OUBU wasn't our thing, if they both are up at the same time DH rocks one.)
    Good luck!
  • Options
    I didn't need DH help at night. I would get them our of their basket one at a time and situate them on the twin breast friend pillow. Once we passed three months I seldom tandem nursed, which I never particularly loved. Nursing in bed with the twin pillow was uncomfortable but we made it work for the few months that we had to. We nursed during the day in the family room with the breast friend pillow. I'm planning on only tandem nursing when I have to this time around. You will do great I'm sure and like pp said, be prepared to try a few things before you find what works off you!!
    Two sets of fraternal twins, 23 mos. apart First set born 12/27/12 at 35w0d via IVF Second set born 11/18/14 at 35w6d via FET
  • Options
    I'm confused by your concern that you will need to wheel them both in at once or carry them at the same time to get them to the day nursery. Carry one, put them down safely, then go back for the other. I wasn't good at carrying both at once until they started getting more head control, so I often would handle one while the other waited.

Grant - 6/2/11
    Glenn and Caroline - 6/19/13

• Options

I'm confused by your concern that you will need to wheel them both in at once or carry them at the same time to get them to the day nursery. Carry one, put them down safely, then go back for the other. I wasn't good at carrying both at once until they started getting more head control, so I often would handle one while the other waited.

It just seems strange to walk halfway across the house and lay him on the couch (in a boppy?) and turn my back on him to go get the other one. I know they can't roll for a few months, but it would be my luck! I guess the efficiency I am seeking in my head can't really be determined until I know how this is going to work for us in the first place.

Thanks for the advice, ladies!

• Options
    Agree with the pp- keeping them in the bedroom is way easier for me. :)

As to what to put them on (day or night)- we love our bouncy seats for this purpose. We had one from our first and 3 more used ones from friends and use them all the time. They're so easy to move from room to room or outside (I've even taken them to the beach). There is also the floor- it can feel strange but is often the safest place (just don't leave them alone with a dog until you're 100% sure the dog is okay with them).
  • Options
    It just seems strange to walk halfway across the house and lay him on the couch (in a boppy?) and turn my back on him to go get the other one. I know they can't roll for a few months, but it would be my luck! I guess the efficiency I am seeking in my head can't really be determined until I know how this is going to work for us in the first place. Thanks for the advice, ladies!

No, I wouldn't put them on the couch and walk away either. But I had a two year old too, so I made sure to give myself safe places to put babies down in just about every room, because i often needed to drop everything and tend to his needs too. Swing, bouncer, pack and play, infant to toddler rocker, high chair reclined all the way, etc. - they were lifesavers.

Grant - 6/2/11
    Glenn and Caroline - 6/19/13

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"