Working Moms
Options

Any working moms who home school? (x-post from homeschooling)

I am wondering if any moms out there work at least part time and home school, or is home schooling is generally a full-time job?

***siggy warning***

Me: 29; DH: 53
TTC since February 2013 --- mild thin PCOS (or not, depending on which RE you ask), MFI

TI#1: BFN (April 2014; Clomid 50mg x5 days, Estrace x5 days, Clomid 50 mg x4 days)
IUI#1: c/p (May 2014; Letrozole 2.5 mg x5 days, Estrace x5 days, Bravelle 75 IU x10 days)
IUI#2: abandoned... O'd early & DH hormone issues (June 2014; Letrozole 2.5 mg x5 days, Bravelle 75 IU x2 days)
IUI#2.1: BFN (July 2014; Letrozole 2.5 mg x5 days, Bravelle 75 IU x4 days)

Moving on to IVF. (Why we're moving on to IVF)

IVF#1 (w/ICSI): BCP 9/9-9/23. Gonal-F, Ganirelix, Low-dose HCG (antagonist protocol). 41R/35M/32F... 2 transferred on 10/14, 14 frosties! On cabergoline to help avoid OHSS. BFN, possibly because of 90% drop in estrogen and progesterone a few days after ET.
FET#1: Transferring 2 on January 8. BFP! beta#1 (1/17): 408, beta#2 (1/20): 1310, first u/s scheduled 2/5

image    image

Re: Any working moms who home school? (x-post from homeschooling)

• Options
    I don't homeschool my kids, but we have talked about it.
    I really like this article on homeschooling, The author is a peditrician, and her husband works from home in IT.

https://www.aleteia.org/en/education/article/18-reasons-why-this-skeptical-pediatrician-came-to-love-homeschooling-5318399987023872?

I do think that to make this work your husband has to be on board to do this as a family, rather than just something you do with the kids, and at least one of you needs to be part-time. 
  • Options
    My FIL's wife home schools their kids. I don't think she has held a fulltime job ever. But she may do some stuff for their church part time.
    IVF, acupuncture, meditation and a miracle. 

Our sweet Valentine's Day FET.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the article, @alli2672 . MH is definitely on board. His experience with his (now adult) sons is one of the reasons we're heavily considering  home schooling, but neither of us is sure we're ready to completely give up our careers.

***siggy warning***

TTC since February 2013 --- mild thin PCOS (or not, depending on which RE you ask), MFI

TI#1: BFN (April 2014; Clomid 50mg x5 days, Estrace x5 days, Clomid 50 mg x4 days)
    IUI#1: c/p (May 2014; Letrozole 2.5 mg x5 days, Estrace x5 days, Bravelle 75 IU x10 days)
    IUI#2: abandoned... O'd early & DH hormone issues (June 2014; Letrozole 2.5 mg x5 days, Bravelle 75 IU x2 days)

IVF#1 (w/ICSI): BCP 9/9-9/23. Gonal-F, Ganirelix, Low-dose HCG (antagonist protocol). 41R/35M/32F... 2 transferred on 10/14, 14 frosties! On cabergoline to help avoid OHSS. BFN, possibly because of 90% drop in estrogen and progesterone a few days after ET.
    FET#1: Transferring 2 on January 8. BFP! beta#1 (1/17): 408, beta#2 (1/20): 1310, first u/s scheduled 2/5

image    image
  • Options
    How would you occupy your kids while you were at work? Most programs aren't set up to care for school-aged kids during the school day. Maybe you should explore other options like private or charter schools that might fit your needs better.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options
    She just started but my SIL works part time from home and is doing cyber school with her kids. She has younger kids so she needs to be a bit more involved with cyber school but so far they are loving it.
    DD Nov 2010 ~ DS June 2012
  • Options
    @lexusolsen Full-time day jobs are not the only work out there and we certainly would not send our kids to daycare instead of school. We may consider private/charter schools, depending on what is available in the area, but that could cost more than my salary working full time. It will be at least a few years before we have to consider pre-school since we are about to start our first IVF cycle soon.

MH and I have considered starting our own consulting/freelance businesses or specifically looking for jobs that are flexible about the time and location we work. We are unsure of the viability of this and may consider other options (such as one of us working in the evening part time) depending on what opportunities arise. That is the reason I'm asking on this board and the homeschooling board to see what others' experiences have been.

***siggy warning***

image    image
  • Options
    Your post got me kind of interested, and I googled "homeschool while working," and this post on Pioneer woman came up.  Whatever you may think of her, there were some pretty good comments on the post, and a lot of different situations. 

https://thepioneerwoman.com/homeschooling/2011/02/community-question-homeschooling-when-both-parents-work/
  • Options
    @alli2672 I have no opinion on Pioneer Woman. Barely heard of her. Thanks for the link!

***siggy warning***

image    image
  • Options

@lexusolsen Full-time day jobs are not the only work out there and we certainly would not send our kids to daycare instead of school. We may consider private/charter schools, depending on what is available in the area, but that could cost more than my salary working full time. It will be at least a few years before we have to consider pre-school since we are about to start our first IVF cycle soon.

MH and I have considered starting our own consulting/freelance businesses or specifically looking for jobs that are flexible about the time and location we work. We are unsure of the viability of this and may consider other options (such as one of us working in the evening part time) depending on what opportunities arise. That is the reason I'm asking on this board and the homeschooling board to see what others' experiences have been.
    I will admit that I am not a fan of homeschooling in general. I would think, especially if you have more than one child, that it would be very time consuming. How do you become the expert at multiple subjects for multiple children and work full-time?

Also, you would be amazed at the number of people who ask the SAHM board if they know of any WFH opportunities that also allow them to watch their children. I was trying to figure out if you were thinking you could be working and homeschooling during the same block of time.

• Options
    Also, if you are just doing IVF I would wait to make plans. You have no idea what your child's needs or interests will be. Best of luck!

• Options
    @lexusolsen Thanks! I of course will not make a final decision until I need to. MH and I may be unique in that we can cover most school subjects between the two of us. He has degrees in music and math and is an armchair historian. I have degrees in a physical science and journalism. I also expect that I'd learn alongside my kids sometimes, which sounds like fun.

***siggy warning***

image    image
  • Options
    I don't think you have to be an expert on anything to homeschool. My state has free online school for K-12. I think it's a cool idea and worth considering if you can make it work.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Options
    @emberlee3 Quite true. It depends on the reasons for homeschooling.

***siggy warning***

image    image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"