Baby Showers

book instead of card, thoughts

I am hosting a shower for a friend in February.  She asked me if I would do the poem for books instead of cards.  I have been to a few showers that have done this and I have always disliked it.  It seems like you are being greedy - buy me a gift and a book.  I don't want to include the poem in the invitation, but I feel bad because this is her shower.  What would you do?

Re: book instead of card, thoughts

• I don't think the intent is for anything overly expensive - I would think that most people aren't going to go out and spend a lot on a book for the baby and cards these days cost easily $3-5 dollars anyway. It also means the mom will have something that she can keep for the baby rather than a card that will just get thrown out.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • It sounds like a pricey shower to attend.  Besides, books usually are my shower gift!
  • Loading the player...
  • I like the idea. We're doing it for my friends, and like pp said a book can cost just as much as a card if you find a good bargain. I wouldn't be offended if I were asked to do this.
  • I like the idea, because books are always a good thing for a child to have.I doubt she expects people to bring a gift and a $20 book. You can find some very cute books for cheap on clearance racks at B&N or Borders any day of the week, easily cheaper than most "baby" cards you can find at the store.?

I know if I asked a friend who was hosting my shower to do something like this, and then got only cards because she ignored my request, I'd be upset. If it looks greedy, then SHE looks greedy, not you. And I don't think it looks greedy anyway; maybe if she specified Dr. Seuss books (which are pricey) I could understand, but not in general.?

Contemplating the snow.
    Mes Petit Choux
    imageimageimage
    I can't go back to yesterday - because I was a different person then. ~ Alice

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My MIL is throwing my shower and I'm helping with the centerpieces.  I bought little baby books to put around the centerpieces for $1 from Target.  So really, in the end it all comes out to the smae price as a card.
  • I love the idea.  I gives her a chance to start a collection for the little one and they cost as much as a card would.  I think it's nice.  If people don't want to do it, they won't, but they can go to the $ store and find one.  It's not an added expense in my opinion.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

BFP#3 12/09/12 - EDD 8/11/2013 - D&C @ 12w :: BFP #4 2/17/14 - EDD 10/28/2014 - M/C @ 6w

• She is being greedy.  One does not tell one's guests what gifts to bring.  It's an invitation not an invoice.
  • imageBrahimBride:
    She is being greedy.? One does not tell one's guests what gifts to bring.? It's an invitation not an invoice.

That's ridiculous. Do people not make registries, which is essentially "telling" guests what gifts to bring (or what would be most appreciated?) How is asking for a cheap book instead of an expensive card (that will get trashed) any more greedy than having a shower in the first place? She isn't TELLING anyone what to do, merely specifying what she would appreciate the most. People can ignore it, or follow it, the choice is totally theirs.?

Contemplating the snow.
    Mes Petit Choux
    imageimageimage
    I can't go back to yesterday - because I was a different person then. ~ Alice

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagerebus82:

imageBrahimBride:
    She is being greedy.  One does not tell one's guests what gifts to bring.  It's an invitation not an invoice.

That's ridiculous. Do people not make registries, which is essentially "telling" guests what gifts to bring (or what would be most appreciated?) How is asking for a cheap book instead of an expensive card (that will get trashed) any more greedy than having a shower in the first place? She isn't TELLING anyone what to do, merely specifying what she would appreciate the most. People can ignore it, or follow it, the choice is totally theirs. 

Ditto.

• I only wish that someone had done this for me. I think it is an awesome idea. Cards cost about $3.00 anyway. So what if someone thinks it sounds "greedy". I think it is smart.
  •  I realize you get off on your snark but this is ridiculous. It is no different then registering or having a wishing well.

imageBrahimBride:
    She is being greedy.  One does not tell one's guests what gifts to bring.  It's an invitation not an invoice.
  • Finally!  Nice (read: resonable) people on the board!
  • I think it's a cute idea and many people will probably be happy to do it.  There are so many books available at the $1 store. If people choose to do a more expensive book they will most likely buy a more reasonable gift to fit the price they want to spend. Personally, my cute Hallmark cards always cost between $4-$5.
  • I Think it's a great Idea.  I'm going to do it.

If people (that are invited) to the shower don't want to do it or think it's too expensive...they just won't do it.  End of story.

Plus most people get excited about buying shower gifts anyway, they'd love a fun theme like that!!

Go for it :)

• i think that it's a great idea, everyone did that at my shower and i got tons of great books, most people wrote messages to the baby in the books and they are very special, especially the ones from his grandparents and little cousins. a couple people didnt do it but most people did. i am throwing a shower soon and will be doing the same thing. i didnt know about it at my shower and i was really confused about why i was getting so many books and no cards (not that i needed cards) it was funny, like 10 presents in they decided to fill me in (they forgot i didnt know).
  • We're doing it at mine in February. If people don't want to do it, they don't have to. But why buy a card that is about 4-5 bucks when you can buy a book that will last a long time? My best friend did it a few years ago and I just bought her two inexpensive little books from Babies R Us. I honestly didn't think it was rude at all.

• I really want to do this at my shower, my husband and I are both huge readers, and people have been buying me books as gifts since iIwas in grade school.  The most noticeable feature of our home are the huge bookcases literally overflowing with books.  So I'm hoping people will see this as being apropos to who we are.  But if someone doesn't want to bring a book, no biggie. 

I don't think this is any different from the gazillion showers I've been to where I've been asked to bring diapers!  Books last longer, and quite frankly, if you buy smart are way cheaper than diapers too. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"