Childless not by choice

Childless vs Childfree Does it matter?

KingLEDKingLED member
edited August 2014 in Childless not by choice
I don't know why, but this distinction is kind of important to me and it annoys me every time I read the title of this board. THIS ARTICLE seems to sum it up pretty nicely. It seems a strange thing to be upset about, but it is what it is. I'm not child free. I would do (and have done) some crazy things in a desperate attempt to not be free from children. But I think this quote is at the heart of my problem with the distinction.

"While “childless” means the condition of being without children, it implies that everyone who does not have children would like to have them. However, being “childfree,” like Mirren—and like me—means that one does not want to have children at all."

What do you think? Does it bother you, or is it just me?

Son: Jackson, 11/02/06, stillborn due to PPROM and IUGR. Over the next ten years we had 9 miscarriages from 8-14 weeks. On May 18, 2016 my daughter, Ridley, was born. We're OADNBC.

Childless vs Childfree Does it matter? 112 votes

Yes, it bothers me, but does not apply to me.
39% 44 votes
Yes, it bothers me, I am childless.
16% 19 votes
No, it doesn't bother me, I am childless.
8% 10 votes
No, it doesn't bother me, but it doesn't apply to me.
16% 19 votes
SS- because there's always someone
17% 20 votes

Re: Childless vs Childfree Does it matter?

• It doesn't really bother me, but it's completely right. Child Free does seem to sound more like it's by choice or for lack of trying, while Childless seems to give the idea that there's more to it. 
    Helene (Nova726)'s book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I HATED all of the stupid comments I would get for years!  For example...

Person A : Do you have any children
    Me : No
    Person B : Oh that's smart, it allows you to enjoy your life while you're still young.
    Me: It wasn't by choice, I actually WANT children
    Person A : Trust me, its better this way.
    Me : FML
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"