1st Trimester

HcG not quite doubled - confusing information.

Hi,

This is my first time posting. I am trying to be careful not to post anything overly dramatic or things that have been asked a million times but forgive me if this falls in that category.

I had my hcg levels checked at exactly 5 weeks and they were 8533. 48 hours later, at 5 weeks and 2 days they were 13819. I was glad about this as I've ready they need to double in 48-72 hours. 

Normally, the doctor checks once more but unfortunately I am going to be across the country for one week (through my week 6). So I will not have a third blood test, nor will I have a 6 week ultrasound to check that the pregnancy is in the uterus (I will have one in week 7 when I return).

The nurse basically told me I need to look out for ectopic pregnancy symptoms because my numbers didn't double "like they are supposed to", and also said the other possibility is that I'm pregnant with twins due to high numbers.

I wondered if getting my labs done on Saturday while away would be useful and they said no, because the numbers would be different at a different lab (??). 

I felt like my numbers are normal but now I am all freaked out and worrying about every little cramp; or reading into a lack of symptoms, etc.

Any thoughts about this?

Re: HcG not quite doubled - confusing information.

• pblgepblge member
    edited August 2014
    Assuming that the draws were about the same time each day, that's a 69 hour doubling time, which is great. The doubling time slows when you get into the thousands, and I don't know why your nurse said what she did. My nurse was unhappy with my recent 63 hour doubling time at a slightly earlier stage than you, and I really think they're both worrying us unnecessarily. Once you're at this stage, ultrasounds are much better indicators of healthy development. You could go crazy trying to find a way to get another beta test, but it wouldn't tell you all that much. Just take deep breaths and try to stay calm and sane while you're traveling.

Good luck!

ETA: When I had an ectopic, my betas were at 53 at 5+2. THAT was an indicator that something was very wrong, as I was sure about my dates.
    **********************siggy/ticker warning**********************

***Losses mentioned.*** TTC #1 since May 2012. Me: 37, OH: 41. Ectopic August 2012 => tubal damage. :'(  Stage 1 endo removed June 2013. IVF #1 Oct/Nov 2013: Long Lupron with Gonal-F. 7R, 7M, 7F. 2 txfer@3d. Nothing frozen.  => M/C @ 8 wks. :'( Selected RPL panel all normal. Very hyper and brittle response to stims. IVF #2 (antagonist protocol) Feb 2014 => Converted to IUI (Perfect conditions). BFN. IVF #2.1 w/ new RE June 2014: Antagonist protocol. 33R, 31M, 30F, 19 blasts to test!!! I made it through without crashing!! :) Hats off to Dr. Fancypants!! ET of one 5AB blast. BFN. 13 10 CCS'ed snowflakes! FET #1 PUPO as of 7/29 Betas: 8/7@24, 8/9@97, 8/11@334 (etc.) Two sacs on 8/15, one seen on 8/18 after a bleed. U/s 8/25 (6+3) "perfect": 5.9 mm + HB@120bpm! U/s 9/4 (7+6): 15.9 mm + HB@172 bpm! Please, PLEASE stick this time!!!!
    http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae39/catfreeburg/866da40f5178fed79efe23fc8a4e8a_zps4498a9cc.jpgimageimageimageimage
  • Thank you both so much. What you've both said makes sense and sounds like you've heard this from other providers or have had this experience yourself.

I really appreciate it. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Jsteger said:
    Hi,

This is my first time posting. I am trying to be careful not to post anything overly dramatic or things that have been asked a million times but forgive me if this falls in that category.

I had my hcg levels checked at exactly 5 weeks and they were 8533. 48 hours later, at 5 weeks and 2 days they were 13819. I was glad about this as I've ready they need to double in 48-72 hours. 

Normally, the doctor checks once more but unfortunately I am going to be across the country for one week (through my week 6). So I will not have a third blood test, nor will I have a 6 week ultrasound to check that the pregnancy is in the uterus (I will have one in week 7 when I return).

The nurse basically told me I need to look out for ectopic pregnancy symptoms because my numbers didn't double "like they are supposed to", and also said the other possibility is that I'm pregnant with twins due to high numbers.

I wondered if getting my labs done on Saturday while away would be useful and they said no, because the numbers would be different at a different lab (??). 

I felt like my numbers are normal but now I am all freaked out and worrying about every little cramp; or reading into a lack of symptoms, etc.

Any thoughts about this?

I agree with PP.

Also, yes, the numbers could be off if you use a different lab for blood draws. When they were tracking my betas, they told me to go to the same lab. They ordered the first set STAT, so 48 hours later, the following was also a STAT (it was done in a hospital and do STAT and hospital patient labs there. If not, they send them out and are done at a different lab).

It's like a scale. If you have one at home, it may be a pound or 2 off than the scale at the gym or dr's office. KWIM?
    imageimageimage
    As soon as I saw you, I knew an adventure was going to happen - Winnie the Pooh

Married 8/22/09
    Pregnancy 1- EDD 11/21/10 NMC @ 6 weeks
    Pregnancy 2 - Rainbow DS born 1/15/11
    Pregnancy 3 - EDD 5/2/14 NMC @ 6 weeks 9/4/13
    Pregnancy 4 - EDD 6/11/14 BO @ 9 weeks D&C 11/8/13
     AF arrived 12/18/13
    BENCH IS BURNED 2/2014
    TTA until May/Jun
    WOW!!! I'm pregnant!!! BFP 6/8/14 Rainbow on the way EDD 2/14/15
    If there ever comes a day where we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever -
    Winnie the Pooh

imageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"