January 2015 Moms

Sick Fur Baby

So I'm feeling like a terrible mom to my 3 year old Rottie right now.  We were away for the long weekend and low and behold we get a phone call from our trainer who happens to own and opperate the kennel that we take Fry to Saturday afternoon.  Apparently when she went to take him out for his morning walk she is greated by a Rottie with a completely swollen and scabbed up nose.  Long story short I give her the okay to take him to her vet that afternoon to get checked out.  Turns out our precious fur baby is allergic to bug bites (we don't know what bit him so we can't say for sure what he's allergic to).  In the two hours he was by himself the poor babe managed to itch his nose raw which caused a bacterial infection.  Vet give him antibiotics for the infection, prednisone for swelling and a steriod cream to help with the itching.

We get home on Monday take the poor baby home (he's a drama queen about everything, I call him my 120lb cream puff).  He hates the cream which I can't touch because of the steriods and the antibiotics are making him sick to his stomach. 

DH and I keep stopping him from itching at his nose and I just feel awful because I have no way of explaining to him why and you can just see how miserable he is right now.  I've spent half the day going back and forth with the vet on the phone to try and figure out how to avoid the antibiotics causing Fry to throw up and now DH just called to tell me that skunk got in our backyard and sprayed Fry! :((

Well at least it's good training for when LO is here....sigh

:((

Re: Sick Fur Baby

• I'm on my way home to give him a tomato juice bath.  Our vet was able to come up with what I think sounds like a good plan to try and get him some relief from vomitting so hopefully by the end of the night his only issue will be some stinky cream for his itchy nose.

• MLC1990MLC1990 member
    edited September 2014
    They can try an antibiotic shot vs pill course. It just usually costs more

I hope your pup feels better. :-/
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks everyone :)

Last night was better.  We adjusted when he's getting his meds and that seems to have taken care of the upset stomach.  He's still not himself but at least he's not downright miserable.

Skunk smell is still hanging around a bit (I think my bloodhound nose is the only one that is being bothered by it).  Fry thought the multitude of baths last night was pretty awesome... me not so much.  I do not recommend dealing with a skunked dog while still having smell induced gag reflex from pregnancy.  DH also found the hole in the fence the skunk used to get in.... it's been blocked so hopefully no more critters for a while.

In the mean time here's a photo of my oversized goofball

• I'm glad he's starting to do a little better!  Poor guy =(  I'm sure he'll continue getting better though!  But you definitely shouldn't feel like a bad mom, dogs have a way of getting themselves into messes haha.  Mine once managed to break his toe while playing in the backyard; to this day we have no idea how he did it, but we sure felt terrible seeing him limping around in a cast and cone for 8 weeks!  

Fry is absolutely adorable!  Aren't rotties the BEST?
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Cute dog!!!! I'm glad he's feeling a little better now. Sick animals are so sad. Whenever my little pup gets sick I just want to cry for him.
  • Poor baby! I'm glad he's doing better! 

BabyFruit Ticker

• KnitPixy said:

I'm on my way home to give him a tomato juice bath.  Our vet was able to come up with what I think sounds like a good plan to try and get him some relief from vomitting so hopefully by the end of the night his only issue will be some stinky cream for his itchy nose.

Tomato juice doesn't work. It's acidic and so is skunk spray. You need to neutralize the odor. You can bathe him in a mixture of baking soda and peroxide, make a paste out of it and let it sit for a few minutes and then wash it off. They also sell a skunk odor wash at pet smart that works well.

TTC since August 2011 Me: 31 DH: 33
    May-September 2012: Monitored cycles with Letrozole
    October 2012: Cancelled IUI
    April 2014: IVF #1 w/ ICSI
    ER: 4/15 ET: 4/20 Beta #1 4/29: 54 Beta#2 5/1: 90 
    1st ultrasound: 5/13 (6w1d): HB 103 2nd Ultrasound: 5/22 (7w3d) HB 151

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"