Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Schedule for getting the nursery ready?

When do you start ordering furniture?  When do you start setting the baby's room up?  When do you try to have everything ready by?  Is it 36 weeks?

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Schedule for getting the nursery ready?

• Options
    Depends on where you get the furniture. We ordered ours 3 months early, and it arrived in 6 weeks. The room was set up about 8 weeks before I was due, but I was just too excited not to have it done. In reality we didn't even need to have it finished before she arrived because she slept in our room for the first few months.
  • Options
    We ordered the crib at 30 weeks and it came really quickly. Had the crib and dresser/changing table set up in the nursery for several weeks before adding shelves, organizing the closet, etc. I was due this past Monday and we just got the glider / ottoman about 2 weeks before that. We basically added things here and there.
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We didn't order a crib because one was given to us. I did get excited to completely set up the nursery when I was in my third trimester. I ended up getting the organizing station, chair, book cases, etc. a few months before LO was due.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I would recommend you have the nursery ready in the beggining of your third trimester. I was on bed rest at 34 weeks and my baby was born at 36. The nursery was no where to be ready, so I had to worry about it while learning how to deal with a newborn.
  • Options
    We ordered our crib in June, it didn't get delivered until end of July. We then set it up and had the nursery ready by August. (our LO is due in a few weeks - mid september).
    One thing to keep an eye out is for the car seats. We ordered one in June and it was supposed to be delivered in July. Found out it was back ordered and we wouldn't get it until the end of august or beginning of September. (we wouldn't be home to receive it as we had to go to another area to give birth. Since there is no hospital where I live). We ended up having to go through the supplier and getting the carseat elsewhere. It was a bit nerve wrecking to ensure we got it in time.
    This I doubt would happen for most of you since the majority of people on here live in places where stores are a bit more accessible!
    I would have everything ready by the beginning of your third trimester. After that, you get bigger and it becomes harder to bend down and do everything you wanted.
  • Options
    leela02leela02 member
    edited September 2014
    manausmom said:
    I would recommend you have the nursery ready in the beggining of your third trimester. I was on bed rest at 34 weeks and my baby was born at 36. The nursery was no where to be ready, so I had to worry about it while learning how to deal with a newborn.
    This. I'm 35 weeks now, and though I still have the energy I am just too uncomfortable to bend over and move around that much. We're moving in 2 weeks so we have nothing set up (not our original plan to be moving this late...long story). Fortunately my parents are going to stay with us for a few weeks to help out.

For ordering furniture it depends on how fast you can get it and if something is likely to go out of stock. I started shopping around in my 2nd trimester to see what's available. You can also use the cheaper, slower shipping options for online purchases if you order early enough. Most things are quick to ship or buy at a physical store, but you'd need more time if you end up wanting something that has to be back-ordered, custom-made, personalized or whatnot.
  • Options

My family kept making fun of me because I had everything ready and car seat installed very early (can't even remember how early).  Sure enough, at 31weeks I ended up on bedrest and baby was born at 35w0d.  Everyone then commented how smart I was to have everything taken care of so there were less worries.

I wouldn't do it too early...but get the key stuff done around middle of 2nd trimester.  I wouldn't do anything in the 1st trimester and if you buy anything keep receipts and packaging...just in case. 

• Options
    My car seats and crib were both back ordered. Didn't get notified of this til AFTER I ordered then. I would say order as soon as you know what you want. Don't hesitate.
  • Options
    Good goal is to be done with nursery essentials a few months ahead of time and have bag packed for hospital, car sear, etc a month before- just in case. 
  • Options
    We have the crib, stroller, car seat so far. We just found out we are having a girl so now we can prepare the nursery n
    Baby #1 MC November 2007
    Baby #2 MC June 2008
    Baby #3 Born April 2009
    Baby #4 due date February 2015

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"