Baby Names
Options

Girl Middle Name Clicky

agogo1agogo1 member
edited August 2014 in Baby Names
We're set on a first name for our little girl--Carolina (pronounced Caroleena, not like the states). Nickname will be Leena. However, we're stuck on a middle name and at this point we have little preference for one option over the other. Both middle name options are family names. We have a common English last name that begins with an R. Votes appreciated.
BabyFruit Ticker

Girl Middle Name Clicky 165 votes

Carolina (Leena) Grey
34% 57 votes
Carolina (Leena) May
65% 108 votes

Re: Girl Middle Name Clicky

• Options
    Have you considered Karolina since it has the pronunciation you prefer?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I really think you should change is to Karolina otherwise her whole life she is going to correct people pronouncing it wrong!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    In most languages, Carolina is pronounced the way that we intend, and we're not the biggest fans of K names, generally speaking. We know that there will be plenty of occasions where she will have to correct the pronunciation, c'est la vie. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina_(name)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I don't think anyone would ever pronounce it any way but the states way.
  • Options
    4N6s said:
    I don't think anyone would ever pronounce it any way but the states way.

I disagree. In many languages, as OP said, it's pronounced caro-leena. I know for sure it is in Spanish & Italian and I'm assuming other Romance languages it is as well. Think Catalina - I hope people wouldn't say it with the long i sound. It's a simple correction.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    imageimage
  • Options
    I think she will spend a lifetime correcting people because people in the states will assume same spelling as NC and SC therefore same pronunciation. Just my opinion though
  • Options
    @KTZ17‌ I have heard Catalina Island pronounced with a long i!

@agogo1‌ I think the way you are pronouncing it makes it way prettier!
    Displaying _20140730_065450.JPG Z0EY
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Either middle name sounds lovely with Carolina. I picked May but now I'm having second thoughts and wish I picked Grey. I don't think the pronunciation is a big deal as long as you don't mind correcting people now and then. Your spelling can be pronounced either way so it's not wrong with the C. Especially since you're using the nickname Leena, I feel like it'll be easy for people to remember the correct pronunciation of her full name.
  • Options
    Ya...That's going to be super annoying for her during every class, during every first week of school, during every educated year of her life. I would reconsider the spelling. 
  • Options
    With both options being family names you can't go wrong. Not knowing the last name I went with May because it is clearly feminine. If your last name is anything associated with a noun or a color then Grey will not work. 

I would consider like everyone else said to spell it Karolina to get that pronounciation, otherwise you will literally have to correct every single person the first time. But if she will be telling them to call her Lena anyways, then I guess it is no more work. I also like Lena or Lina more than Leena. The extra E isn't necessary for me. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Read other comments and yes it is pronounced with a long e sound in other languages/cultures. If you live in one of those cultures then it makes sense. However, if she is growing up in the US and speaking English primarily it would be beneficial to go with Karolina. Or even Catalina.. that would be lovely and easy to pronounce! But I do see a conundrum of Karolina looking more trendy and not going as well with your traditional english surname. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"