Postpartum Depression

Delayed PPD?

I was breastfeeding for my baby's first four months, exclusively at first and beginning to supplement later on. I then went back to breastfeeding exclusively. When I did that my baby was having trouble gaining weight so I started giving more formula than breastmilk. LO now prefers bottles so last week I started weaning.
The last few days I have felt so anxious and upset. I feel depressed for seemingly no reason. I read that weaning can sometimes lead to delayed PPD. Anyone experience a similar situation or have any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Delayed PPD?

• My PPD was not delayed after either of my pregnancies (I also have a history of clinical depression, so that most likely played a role in symptoms popping up for me pretty much immediately). But, on a normal trajectory, PPD can show up anytime within a year of giving birth. Recent studies have even shown that PPD can peak and/or start 4 years after giving birth (especially if you only have one LO). I always suggest taking a "better safe than sorry" attitude when it comes to PPD and asking for help if you think you need it. Your OB or GP can help refer you to a counselor, prescribe medication, etc. Good luck to you.

DX: DOR and MFI 

IVF w/ICSI brought us our 1st precious miracle

V born via induction 4.29.11

TTC #2: IVF (MDLF) August/September 2012

ER 9/7: 6R, 5M, 4F ET 9/12: 5dt of 2 blasts 

+HPT 9/17! Beta #1 (9/25) = 1,000 Beta #2 (9/27) = 1,860 U/S #1 (10/11)...TWINS!

1/8/13 - It's a..boy and a girl!!   

S&B born via induction 5.8.13

imageimage

• I've read a lot about PPD after weaning. I know breastfeeding produces the love hormone(can't remember which one off hand) and that slows when you aren't breastfeeding. I would talk to your dr about it just in case things get worse. Hopefully it's just a little bump in the road. Good luck and hang in there!
  • Loading the player...
  • This is an interesting question. I classify myself as having a late onset of PPD/PPA, but never connected it with weaning and now that I think about it I wasn't really aware that something was wrong until around that time. Since then it's carried on and my DD is 2.5, but i've also read that alot of the time old feelings, worries, depression, anxiety etc multiplies after baby because of your hormones. Like PP said, if there is even a thought that it might be that talk to somebody otherwise it could get alot worse.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"