High-Risk Pregnancy

HBP Hypothroyid at 7wks

I'm looking for some advice? Tips? Maybe words of encouragement?

I'm 7 weeks with high blood pressure (160s/100s), found out Monday my thyroid isn't producing enough hormone, and now my protein in my urine is 198 (out of the 50-100 range). I'm too early to be diagnosed with PreE, but that's what the doctors leaning towards.  He's double my BP medicine (200mg 2xd) and started me on a thyroid medicine (100mg 1xd). Any mommas with similar diagnosis? I'm supposed to be stress free and calm, and all I am doing is worrying myself sick.

Re: HBP Hypothroyid at 7wks

• Long time veteran of hypothyroidism here... the meds are safe and effective, and while they do take some time to build up in the system (about a month) they will help you feel better.  While there are risks assoicated with low thyroid levels during pregnancy if they have caught it this early you should be fine.

As for the BP part of things, I can't reall offer any sage advise as I have no experience but I can send good thoughts your way! :)

• Did you have "episodes" as my dr called it, when you first started taking the medicine? Three times now I've started having chest pain, having trouble catching my breath, sweating like crazy and vommitting. He said i just had to get used to it. I've only been on the medicine a day and a half and so far it's happened three times.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm hypothyroid and whenever I have an increase in dosage I get jittery, hot flashes, and palpitations for a couple days. You've caught it early so the risks to baby are far less. I have no experience with BP meds but its possible a combo of all the new meds and doses can be a bit much on a newly pregnant body and that's just how your body is adjusting. Give it time.
  • I am hypothyroid from having half my thyroid removed 2 years ago and this is my third pregnancy with high blood pressure.  It is good that your doctor caught the thyroid issue early as baby relies on your thyroid until they are able to develop their own.  You should have regular blood draws around every 4-6 weeks to monitor your levels.  Your body is probably just adjusting to the medication, a lot of doctors will start at a lower dosage and build up to help you adjust, but being pregnant your doctor probably thought it was better to make sure you had enough right away.

I wouldn't be surprised if you doctor asks you do to a 24 hour urine collection due to your high blood pressure.  You get a big jug from the lab and have to collect all urine for a 24 hour period and keep it refrigerated or in a cooler.  It is more conclusive than the small urine cup dipstick tests.  I have done one around 16 weeks with each of my pregnancies and then again closer to delivery.

Blood pressure medications can sometimes slow babies growth, so it is likely that you might have more ultrasounds than the average pregnancy.  I have been on Labetalol 100 mg for all 3 of my pregnancies and never had any growth issues.  My boys were born at 7 lbs. 11 oz. and 7 lbs. 2 oz. and this baby is measuring a week ahead.  I felt much more comfortable taking the medication than waiting until it was an emergency situation.  I was induced with my youngest son at 39 weeks because of my blood pressure.  My perinatologist didn't want to let me go any longer than that.

Hang in there, I know that it certainly makes a momma extra nervous, but I've been there 2 times already and everything turned out just fine.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I've had the same symptoms when I have had to do a big dosage increase in the past.  The body does sort of go in to shock with a big change which results in the hyperthyroid symtoms.  In the past mine have generally trailed off after a week or so as my body adjusts to the new dose.  As pp's have said usually they will slowly increase dosage to avoid the side effects but with pregnancy they want to get everything stablized as quickly as possible.

My dose got doubled as soon as my pregnancy was confirmed (common thing to do) but I can't say I specifically remember having any problems this time... mind you my morning sickness was so bad at that point I probably just didn't notice the change from the thyroid meds :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"