Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

lollipops for toddlers?

generally, I'm against candy for toddlers. But for an airplane flight, I've read posts on here suggesting lollipops can be good for take off and/or landing (to help with ear popping and just generally keep them happy).

So I'm considering letting my LO have lollipops for the first time on an upcoming flight.  But I can only find dum-dum lollipops around me and I worry they would be a choking hazard if they somehow fell off their stick.  Have other people used them successfully?
Or are there other lollipops you'd recommend for toddlers?  and where would I find them?

TIA

Re: lollipops for toddlers?

• Options
    Our DS is 19 months and I've let him have the Dum Dum lollipops while I supervise. Generally there is no licking involved; he just crunches off pieces and chews them up. So far so good!
  • Options

I don't see a lollipop helping a toddlers ears.  They don't know how to suck on them like an older child/adult so wouldn't get the swallowing benefit.  I think most people use the lollipops on the plain to keep their toddlers occupied and silent!  Which, on an airplane, is totally worth it!!  I would stick with a cup and something to easily chew and swallow to help the ears.  My daughters been on a good 20 or so flights (17months old) and she's never complained about her ears...and I don't give her anything aside from her soother (which she rarely keeps in for take off and landings). 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Just an FYI- my DS doesn't know how to suck on the lollipop right and ends making a huge drool, sticky mess all over the front of his shirt and everything else in sight. He enjoys them immensely, but makes a huge mess! Gummies might be a more effective and less messy treat.
    imageimage
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    When we flew (son was 13 mo) his ears didn't really bother him, but I did give him pouches. He sucks on those so it may have helped. You might try that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've always given them a drink to help with their ears. At that age, my kid didn't really know what to do with a lollipop so it wouldn't have helped. He did however, love m&ms so that is what I packed to keep him quiet on the plane. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I let DD have the occasional dum dum.  She does make a huge drooly mess as a PP said.  Gummies might be a better option.
  • Options
    My son actually LOVES dum-dums. He had his first one at a restaurant a few weeks ago and thought it was the greatest thing ever. He did end up biting a piece off but he actually spit it out. Of course I watch him like a hawk but he does very well with lollipops or "pop pop" as he calls them.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Ditto PPs that a little candy never killed anyone, but that toddlers aren't going to suck on lollipops enough to really make it effective for their ears. Any chance your kiddo would/could take a bottle for a special occasion? That might be most effective with the suck/swallow.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm getting on a flight Friday and this is my exact plan of action. I see the concern in the choking hazard (esp since DS has never had one) but since I will have him in my lap the entire time, I feel he will be well supervised enough that I'll be on top of it should the lollipop disconnect from the stick. 

Good luck!

Little T Born 2/26/13
    TTC #2 since August 2014
    BFP #2: 4/15/15 * EDD: 12/19/15 * MMC: 5/7/15
    BFP #3: 7/23/15 * EDD: 3/29/16

• Options
    I remember having these when I was little. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"