Breastfeeding

Starting solids?

DD2 is about 4.5 months and EBF (I work full time so she gets pumped milk during the day).  The pedi said she can start solids, but I'm hesitant.  My supply is okay, but I am pumping just enough for her to have at daycare the next day.  My supply did dip when I went back to work a month ago, I think due to a combination of stress and not eating/drinking enough.  I have worked hard to get it back up, and I think I am now back to about normal, i.e. not an over or undersupply. 

Given that it did dip recently, I am not sure I want to start solids yet.  I see that kellymom advises waiting until 6 months too.  I am curious as to what others have done in terms of when to start solids, and also how your supply was affected (if at all).  Any other suggestions?  Thanks!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Starting solids?

• Thanks everyone!  Glad to hear it didn't seem to have a supply impact for most, but I still think we'll wait awhile :) 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Our experience has been similar to @casey78 so far. BLW babies will gradually cut back on BM or formula as they get more adept at eating and that's ok. Just make sure you offer a variety of healthy foods including fruits, veggies, meat, legumes, dairy products, etc. Always nurse first and then offer solids (that's the rule though my rascal won't drink his milk until he's had his food).
    **Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• Loading the player...
  • another vote for BLW. 6 months is the current recommendation for introducing solids.

here's a good overview of the BLW concept: https://www.rapleyweaning.com/assets/blwleaflet.pdf there's also a book by the same name.
  • I'm pretty much in the same boat.  Our pediatrician gave us the go ahead today, but I'm not really in a rush.  I figure I'll wait until LO starts showing interest in food, then do BLW.
  • LadyburdLadyburd member
    edited September 2014
    DD is a little over 6m and we started solids about 2 weeks ago. She began showing interest in food at about 5 months and really reaching for food or drinks that I had about 5.5. She has had cereal and two veggie purees. Overall she is doing well and has always enjoyed eating. My expressed milk has not seemed to drop but has been more or less since i've returned to work for various reasons. We have only had to dip into our freezer stash twice but that was during an overnight work trip while I was away. When nursing I don't worry if she is getting enough even if I had poor expressed milk. She always has enough wet diapers and it always seemed to work out on bad pumping days that there was enough from a previous pump to make up the lack of that day or I added a pumping session before work. I will tell you that she has quickly progressed as far as how much solids she eats with nursing. We had her 6 m check up today and she is doing well.
  • We started solids at 6 months. We did purees, and that's worked well for us. It didn't affect my supply at all at first - LO still drank just as much milk for months after we introduced solids. 
  • I agree, 6 months is the way to go! I'm a pediatric dietitian, and the latest recs actually suggest offering very soft puréed, strained meats as the first food for breasfed babies. This is because our breastmilk supply naturally begins to lack iron around 6 months. Different than past recs, but certainly worth a try! Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"