Parenting

DD (3yr) getting Evaluated tomorrow. I have a question.

So this will be a second eval for DD. The first was just a quick 20 min screening and this one is for an hour or so.

It is an eval with play? I am just wondering:

Am I in the room with her?

Is she in there by herself or with the therapists?

Are all the therapists in there with her at the same time?

Ugh, I am so nervous.

Backround: she was fine in the quick eval but they said she just barely hit the numbers for some stuff. The speech said her words were clear and great but quality of conversation was of concern.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: DD (3yr) getting Evaluated tomorrow. I have a question.

• She also does not cross her midline.

• @threelittlewheels The amount of forms and questions I had to answer was ridiculous. I felt like they just kept repeating over and over again.

What to you mean fail? Like they will be looking for her to fail at something?

• Loading the player...
  • DS (4) had his eval yesterday for speech/language and fine motor.  It was 2ish hours and I was in the room with him.  The asked me a few questions, talked to him.  Had him tell them what pictures were in a book.  For motor skills they had him draw and jump and stack blocks and the like.  They alternated the speech and motor skills questions so that he didn't get bored or overwhelmed with either. 
    The Book of Love Has Music in it

• She is getting evaluted through the school district. She was in EI for a year for speech and some SPD.

She left EI on amazing terms. They thought she was perfect for her age level. Pedi then became concerned with her crossing midline at her three year check up.

I have some concern with conversation skills. Like, it is hard for her to use the right word sometimes. She sometimes uses jargon to keep her place in her mind. She love her friends and preschool and we have never had any concerns at perschool.

I just went to make sure she was still on track for her age.

• In my experience (DS is special ed with IEP for speech) the evals are both play and work. The therapists saw him individually for each area (speech, psych, OT). It took about an hour. The first time I stayed with him, but it was hard for me to see him answering incorrectly and not being able to help him (because I know he knew it). The second eval last year and all subsequent ones were/will be without me. The therapists immediately gave me feedback and after a couple of weeks I had the formal results in the mail. A meeting was then held at the school district to determine his needs and what services he qualified for. I had to agree and approve all services and sign off on everything. It wasn't too much of a big deal. If your child was borderline they probably want to see if she qualifies for something because it's better to address an issue early before it becomes a bigger issue.
  • In my experience it is play based with some parental questions/input. The alternate activities quickly to prevent boredom and expect your child to not be able to ddo everything. With most standardized testing they have to "fail" 2-3 items before the test can stop. After DSs last evaluation I asked them if he was supposed to be able to do certain things I thought were advanced for him and the told me no, they just had to keep going iugoing until he got enough wrong. They should tell you then and there if she qualifies unless she is borderline. The IEP meeting will be scheduled then too usually. If for any reason you disagree with the results say so. If you are already receiving services they have to continue until the disagreement is resolved by a second evaul (usually at your expense).

• I don't have anything to add, I just want to say good luck. 
    My daughter is my hero.
  • MrsT0514MrsT0514 member
    edited August 2014
    I also dont have any valuable input here, since my DS is way younger than your DD, and we've only done evals through EI thus far. But I wanted to say good luck and keep us posted!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Someone may have already answered your questions, but I used to do EI and Preschool evals. For preschool evals I usually started with the parents in the room, then had them step out once the child was comfortable. Parents can have a really hard time not helping their kids when they are atruggling with a task, and kids are really quick to turn to their parents for help. However, if we had a kid who was having a really hard time separating, we would just keep the parents in the room. The place I worked was awesome, the eval room had a two way mirror so parents could watch.
    It will all look like play to your little one. Try not to be nervous, and ask as many questions as you want to. The therapists should meet with you before and after the evaluation. Every parent who comes in is a nervous wreck, trust. The therapists are used to a million questions, so don't worry about asking too many.

Good luck!
    image image
  • @auntie

It went well. She played and they watched her. The school psycologist played with her while, OT, ST, and DT took notes.

The school nurse asked us more questions based on our answers to the millions forms we filled out. They took her in to play with other kids for about 15 min.

They all talked to us a little bit at the end. No real answers yet. We have to wait until October 8th for the full report.

They did mention her use of language. As we were walking out the school psycologist told us that they are in agreement that they do not think it is autism.

I am trying not to read to much into anything because we don't get any answers for a while. It is hard not to know.

• @auntie

It was hard to explain my concern. It is like, she has all these words that she can say clearly and in the right context but no real language of her own.

Does that make sense? It is like a bunch of scripted speech that she uses in the right way.

• EVA116EVA116 member
    edited September 2014

@-auntie- what is ADOS? They told me they cannot diagnois autism. They just didn't believe that is what it was.

She can answer any questions about what she is doing or had done that day. But if you ask her about, say, the zoo in general she cannot answer those questions.

She has trouble if it is not about her immediate surroundings or what she is doing at the moment or what she had just done.

She is getting much better with telling me about her day.

She still has trouble with, today, tomorrow and yesterday. Also with in front, behind, etc.

I just feel bad because she wants to play with kids and tries but has a hard time having a full conversation with them. She is very good at phsyical play and wants to participate in imaginative play. But when the girls down the street make up a game, she plays, but talks much less.

• @auntie I just don't know. Sometimes I see it and sometimes I don't....A red flag goes up and then it corrects itself. Then another and that corrects itself....I just want an answer so we can start moving forward.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"