July 2013 Moms

A Lucas Mini-Update

gutsymamagutsymama member
edited August 2014 in July 2013 Moms
We had a fantastic appointment this morning!

He was up a whopping 1lb3oz since our last appointment two weeks ago! Part of that is due to the fact that by our 10:30 appointment he had already eaten a yogurt, 3/4 of a rice bowl, a large slice of toast, 10oz of milk, and was munching on some inner peas in the waiting room.... But still, he's definitely gaining. He got down around 16lb at his lowest point in late July, and even more recently at 17 lb he was looking awfully skinny, and he has clearly filled out now - this NP who had only seen him one time before even noticed that.

She is very happy with how much he's eating, and we are adding in some more vitamins to try to work on some of his deficiencies. In particular, we need to work on iron intake because the iron supplement made him sick last week, so if anyone has some suggestions for picky-toddler-friendly foods that involve hidden meats, suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

She also gave me the green light to give him up to 32 ounces of milk per day. I have been stressing about that because I don't know how else to keep hydrated without giving him fluids that don't have calories and that's not ideal for us, and it's really exciting that he wants to drink so much and I don't want to take that away from him. So now we don't have to.

There was nothing remarkable about his barium study, which is a huge relief <:-P

They are going to try to get our insurance to cover Synagis this winter too, which is also a huge relief <:-P

We are going to discontinue a couple of his meds because she thinks he doesn't need them anymore <:-P

And, she reconfirmed that there is no known reason to think that we are at higher risk of recurrence with future pregnancies. We're not going to be TTC until at least April and probably actually later than that, but it's really nice to hear that as many times as possible.

Luke just clearly feels fantastic and I am absolutely thrilled with where we're at, especially as the anniversary of his reconnection surgery approaches. Healthy, happy
FKA mimi4347: diaper rash magician and unofficial expert on excrement
photo fdcd1f14-730b-4ea3-9fd5-37c8a5575512_zps6b3ccb11.jpgphoto a71807cf-a0c7-4c71-807b-bc4577b61b83_zps4eece2a6.jpg
This kid may not have a lot of bowel, but he has plenty of guts! 
DS born at 34 weeks with (surprise!) gastroschisis turned short bowel syndrome.
131 days in the NICU, 7 trips to the OR, G-button, daily TPN....
We are impatiently awaiting the day we can say goodbye to his girlfriend Ivy for good.

Re: A Lucas Mini-Update

• Great news! Luke is a rockstar. Thanks for the update. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • Yay! I am so so happy for your family. Go Luke!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • That is great news!!!
  • I love him. So happy for such great news! Yay!!

My little love was born July 20th, 2013!

BFP 11.11.12

TTC #1 Since March 2012

• Yea Lucas!  Great update.  How about a savory biscuit/muffin with some pancetta (NITRATES!) baked in?

• Whoop whoop!! <:-P
    July 13 Siggy Challenge December'14: Christmas/Holiday Movie
    Bonus: Ugly Sweater

photo 89022d03-637e-4c13-aa0a-686e2c5d2bd8_zps58cec4a3.png
    Anniversary
  • Black bean buns are great if you can find them! We do the steamed ones from the Asian market. They make red paste ones too. The kids love them right out of the steamer!

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Go Lucas! Such great news :)
  • Great news! Love the pic, he is so cute :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • @econmama He has taken some sips of my smoothies, and I usually put spinach in them, but since he still hasn't figured out straws I don't really have a way to get any reasonable amount in him orally. We've been putting PB-banana through his button but I'm worried spinach would clog the tubing. Plus, I'm not sure he's really breaking down the spinach at all :(@DenverBride2005‌ @PrimRoseMama‌ I will have to give those things a try. He's so picky, and it's incredibly unpredictable - I suspect he wouldn't eat them, but he might see a bean bun and decide it's his favorite food ever ever even before he has a bite :)
    photo fdcd1f14-730b-4ea3-9fd5-37c8a5575512_zps6b3ccb11.jpgphoto a71807cf-a0c7-4c71-807b-bc4577b61b83_zps4eece2a6.jpg
    We are impatiently awaiting the day we can say goodbye to his girlfriend Ivy for good.
  • Great News! Thanks for the update!
    image image image

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I love good Lucas updates!! I'm not sure if I missed one, though...did you see the dietician yet? That is AWESOME weight gain!! Go Luke!! And great job, mama!!!!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    imageimage
  • Yay Lucas!
    Formerly the untaggable Mrs. D S Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Love this!

Baby boy 7.10.13
  • Love love love!!! Way to go Lucas!

• And the next day was Saturday, and Lucapiller ate through... All the things!!! But no stomachaches, ok Buddy?

I'm so happy to see so much good news! I wish I had some good Vitamin K suggestions. More broccoli? Asparagus?
  • So happy to hear the good update! Yay, Luke! <:-P
    Mom to three girls and pregnant with #4!
    L: 7/12/13
    C: 5/11/15
    E: 3/7/17
    Due 11/10/18
  • Thanks, @COmama1314! I will ask about those. 

@KTZ17 The NP we are seeing consults with the dietician regularly, so they discussed his labs and his food journal before our appointment, but we didn't actually have a separate appointment with the dietician. Since he's gaining, we are letting him eat as much of the things he wants to eat as he will and just trying supplements for now, and continuing to offer all kinds of foods to see if he'll branch out. And they want us to try to push more meats. So basically, if we had concerns we could request to see her, but for now there doesn't seem to be a need for separate appointments and she is already actively involved in making plans for progress. 
  • Great news!! Yay Lucas

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Sully is a meat lover. Steak strips, pulled pork, kielbasa... He DESTROYS it! I have no advice except try all kinds. You all make cute babies so you need to make more. MOAR BABIES! ;) Such wonderful news! Grow, Luke, grow!
  • Woohoo! I'm so happy for you guys. :x

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Awesome update!
  • Great news!
  • I read this the other day on mobile but didn't have a chance to respond - 
    this. sounds. AWESOME!

I am so happy you found a team of docs you like and that Lucas is making such good progress.

This may be a really lame recommendation on the meat front, but could you do broth? Would he drink it through a sippy? If it is good broth, it probably carries lots of protein and other nutrients, and would be especially good in the fall/winter. And it could hydrate, too.
  • I'm so happy to read all this!! Yaya Lucas! :D
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Surprise BFP on 11/02/12 EDD 07/06/13 --> Express wedding on 12/29/2012 --> G was born on 07/15/13
    *Multicultural family raising a multilingual toddler: Spanish, Italian, Dutch and English

• Yeah! Goooooooo Lucas! I'm glad you have gotten confirmation that future pregnancies don't have the risk! What a good appointment overall. :)
  • Great news! Grow Lucas grow!
  • Woooo! That is an AWESOME update!

re: iron, if you can't sneak in enough meat, could you do lots of egg yolks? Maybe as pudding/custard? Or if he likes to dip food in sauces, make sauce with the juices from meat?

Also, people already mentioned smoothies, but try ones that have both leafy greens and OJ or lemon juice in them (the vitamin C makes the iron more easily absorbed), along with whatever else he likes to make it taste good (maybe try banana, OJ, spinach, frozen pineapple chunks?). Try to space out milk/dairy consumption from iron consumption, I think, because the calcium can interfere with the body's iron absorption (just thinking if he's drinking those 32oz of milk per day, have the non-dairy smoothie sometime when he's taking a break from milk).
  • Yay Lucas!!
    K & M married 10.8.2011 *** BFP 7.17.2012, EDD 3.21.2013, Miscarriage at 6 wks 3 days *** BFP #2 11.7.2012, beautiful Tess born 7.11.2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"