Working Moms

Laid off and interview questions

So I was laid off on Friday...sucks. I'm a little overwhelmed and worried about a lot of things that come with a new job...I had great working hours at my last job and was able to be home earlier enough to spend time with LO before bed.

Anyways, I am just hammering out my resume and  meeting with a few head hunters this week- gotta get the ball rolling. I've gone through the interview process before obviously and am just trying to prepare myself for some of the typical questions asked...but I can't seem to figure out what to say when I am asked why I am no longer employed or what happened. I am not sure how these questions are asked during interviews and how employers are looking for them to be answered! 

Any feedback would be great! 

Re: Laid off and interview questions

• Being laid off has been so common now due to the economy. If you just state that there was downsizing at your company most people understand. 
    Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jtmomma13jtmomma13 member
    edited September 2014
    @beaubecca thank you! They replaced the marketing department- however I was basically the department. They are bringing in a company to replace me. I worked for a very small company- literally 6 people in the office. They have hired a lot of outside companies as well to do the actual on the field management and work vs hiring in house. 

Laid off and fired feel the same to me although everyone keeps telling me it is different. They are under contract to not release any information about me leaving- just my leaving date and have told me that they will help in any way with references should I need them (which I will since this was my first corporate job). I am gong to ask one of my former coworkers for a letter of reference that I can include to bring to interviews. I am thinking I might ask another coworker e as well. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @k3am thank you! I didn't even think about the linkedin recommendations. I've requested two letters on the two different jobs I had from coworkers. They are happy to do them!

And I hope my story ends up like yours! That's awesome!!! 
  • Just be honest and act confident.  I mean, don't act ashamed by the lay off and people will assume you did nothing wrong.  I have been laid off before.  Huge difference from being fired.  Good luck!
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Thanks @theborg7of9 - it helps to know that you and @k3am have both gone through this before! It's hard for sure. But you are right- gotta get back into my confident self and get over it! 
  • kikimeemeekikimeemee member
    edited September 2014
    I would say my department was outsourced to a vendor. Plain and simple.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"