October 2014 Moms
Options

Working In Third Tri

Is anyone planning on working up to their due date? I only asked because I planned to stay at work as long as I could but My job making take a mandatory two weeks off before I delivery. If you are planning on staying at work what's your strategy for if you go into labor while there? (e.i. getting to the hospital, having you hospital bag with you ect)

Re: Working In Third Tri

• Options
    I am working until I go into labor. My SIL works in the same building and has permission to drop everything when the time comes. My hospital bag is in my car and my mom will grab whatever we need from my house and the store before meeting me at my birth center. I plan to labor at home until my I'm at 5-1-1, then head to the center. We are going to try to keep everything as calm as possible, but I also see it happening at the worst possible time. Like I just know my water will break while I'm with a customer, sitting on the most expensive couch in the building.....maybe I should wear a diaper from now on.... :-S
  • Options
    I plan on working up until I go into labor. I am planning to be at home as long as I can through labor then heading to the hospital. My bag will be at home ready or maybe in the car I haven't decided.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm a SAHM now, but worked until my due date with my first daughter. My plan then was that if I thought I went into labor while at work i would see how I felt and if it was slow enough, I'd try to tie up any loose strings for the day before I left. Then, I'd leave and go home (I worked less than 3 miles from my house) and labor there until it was time to go to the hospital. I never worried enough to keep my hospital bag in the car or anything like that. I'm on the app, so I can't see your ticker(s), but if this is your first, you'll probably have plenty of time once you go into labor to go home or have someone take you home before you go to the hospital to have your baby. It usually starts out pretty slow.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm working until she falls out!

I'll keep a bag in my car starting the next couple weeks. I work in a hospital (not where I want to deliver!) but since I only work 3x/week at full time I'm just praying that it happens on one of my off days.

If not, my mom works in my city and I'll be asking her to rush me back to my local area. Or drive myself.
  • Options
    I worked til the end with both and will this time. I never kept my bag in the car. I just figured I'd send someone home to get it. But I was induced with my first and I went into labor with my second in the middle of the night and was off the next day anyway. I also work in a hospital, although one without maternity services, but it's part of the same network. So if it comes down to it, I know I'll just get transferred to the hospital I'll deliver at. No point in stressing over it!
    ~Miss K born 1/8/2011~Miss I born 1/3/2013~2 angels~
    Baby #3 is on the way!  EDD 10/29/14

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DH and I work 5min from each other so if I do go into labor at work, the plan will be come get me, and head home. We live 10min max from the hospital on a bad traffic day and I'd like to labor at home as long as possible. Also slightly scared my water will break in front of 30 teenagers during one of my classes!!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Married 11/5/11
  • Options
    Duder said:
    I'm a SAHM now, but worked until my due date with my first daughter. My plan then was that if I thought I went into labor while at work i would see how I felt and if it was slow enough, I'd try to tie up any loose strings for the day before I left. Then, I'd leave and go home (I worked less than 3 miles from my house) and labor there until it was time to go to the hospital. I never worried enough to keep my hospital bag in the car or anything like that.
    Snip
    This.  The other lady in the office was always like "What if you go into labor?  What do I do?"  "Ummm you cover my phone line and the email.  I live less than 2 miles from here, I can make it home."  As it was I went into labor after work, continued through the night, and checked in at 7am the next morning... and still waited anoth14 hours to meet ds1. 
  • Options
    I am planning on working until the Friday before my due date (im due on a thursday) as long as I can hang in there. I want all of my 12 weeks with the baby. I figured a couple days to chill & be lazy before Lil man arrives is all I need.
    Me: 33 - PCOS & Hypothyroidism DH: 35 - SA is good Married since 2010 (together since 2006) TTC since June 2009 (we knew we would have issues and wanted family right away after we got married). No pregnancies yet. May 2013 - started first round of Chlomid & ovidrel cycle.
  • Options
    This my second child and I live maybe 20-30 mins from my job. Everyone around me is like freaking out about if my water breaks while I'm here at work, I don't really want to miss so much work and it honestly gives me something to do during the day. I want to push it and maybe stay until the week of my EDD and see from there.
  • Options
    I worked through the Friday before my induction (was induced on Monday). I wanted every second of leave time to be spent with him, not just sitting around waiting for him.

I totally understand that some jobs are demanding such that working right up until your due date is not feasible, but I was a high school teacher (now SAHM) and didn't see a reason to take any leave time before he was born.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I get a free use it or lose it month. I am staying an extra week to train our contractor on month end processes. My last day is the 11th. I say take the time if you're offered it.

FTM - BFP: 1/23/14 - EDD: 10/5/14 - DD Born 9/13/14

• Options
    Working all the way up until the end. With my second I left work at 11 for my 40 week appointment and had him at 4:50. I don't really have anything planned out, guess I'll just call DH when the time comes
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm 35 weeks and I plan on working until I can, I'm a server and it's exhausting but I think I can power through, if I go into labor here I think I'll be ok I only live 5 minutes away. Good luck

• Options
    edited August 2014
    I am planning leave a week before my due date. I have 2 weeks left of vacation time I could not fit into the summer and hr is letting me use it before fmla kicks in. I sadly don't have a plan yet if I go into labor at work. My DH works about 45 minutes from my work and we are both about a half hour away from the hospital :( Edited: I suck at capitalizations
  • Options
    I get two weeks of paid leave before my due date. Then I also have a week of vacation I have to use or I will lose it. So I will end up having three weeks off before my due date. I am hoping to use it productively and to get our house super clean before our sweet girl arrives.

If I go into labor even earlier than 37 weeks, though, I am sure my coworkers would take care of me if I needed it. I would probably just have one of them drive my car home and pay for them to take a taxi back to the office.
    July Siggy Challenge: Fireworks Fails

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Last time my plan was to work until my water broke.  I was induced and worked until the day before induction.  This time if I'm not induced (will be by 39 weeks because of GD), I plan to work until my water breaks.  Dh will pick me up at work, and I'll probably keep my bag in my car.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Working until my due date as well, for as long as the doctors let me. I have to use vacation time after 8 weeks and I'm hoping to go into 2015 and use some of that (but not all, because I will actually want to take time off that year!). My office is on the tip of downtown Manhattan and my hospital on the upper east side (opposite ends of the island)...so that will be interesting should anything happen while at the office. At least I have a good excuse to take a cab! 
  • Options
    My job is stressful, but not very physically demanding- I can get away with sitting on my butt for 90% of the time.  I see no reason not to work until I go into labor.

My work is a bit flexible because I am salaried and only get paid on the first of the month.  The ED said that if I had to take a week extra off that wasn't covered, she would still pay me for it.  SCORE.  The plan is to work until I go into labor.  I was induced early with DS, so I actually don't know what to expect as far as going into labor on my own.  

I plan on working half days at the office and then telecommuting the other half starting October 1.  If I have contractions, I may take the day off.  If I am at work when the contractions start, I can leave early or see if I can power through the rest of my 4-hour office shift.  I will call DH when I am about to leave work, and then drive myself home.  I will either labor at home for a while or have DH meet me and drive me to the hospital, which is very close to our house (but not close at all to my work).

I am kind of hoping that my water breaks at work because I work in a half-way house, and I think it would be HILARIOUS if one of the residents had to mop up my water.  
  • Options
    I'm working until I go into labor.  I did the same thing with my other 2 pregnancies.  With DS, I was induced, so I only took off the day I was going to the hospital.  With DD, I worked that day and went into labor with her that night.  Generally, you have some warning - ex you get some contractions or your water breaks, and so you know you need to start getting to where you need to be.  You don't go to the hospital with the first contraction you have - it generally takes a bit of time to determine if they are regular, coming closer together, etc..  My hospital is only 5 miles from my house and about 10 miles from work (with my house in between).  So, if I happen to go into labor while at work, depending on how bad contractions are, I'd either drive myself home to pick up my bag and meet DH there, or have him stop by the house, grab my bag, and come pick me up at work.   If things are happening really quickly, I would just have a co-worker drive me to the hospital and have DH meet me there.  I'd worry about the bag later.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I am working up until the day I deliver; however I have the ability to work from home starting 2.5 weeks before my due date.  So I got a break there; but even if I had physically had to be in the office I would be working as long as I could so that I could spend more time at home after with the baby.

View Full Size Image
  • Options
    I am planning to take a couple weeks off to spend with my boys beforehand.. :) I'll try to plan it around pay periods so im not only working one or two days of a pay period though :) if I happened to go into labor at work, the hospital where I'll deliver is 3 blocks from the hospital where I work so getting there shouldn't be a problem. I honestly dont see myself going into labor at work though :)
  • Options
    I'll be working three days per week, starting on October 1. My situation is a bit unique because my office is in my home and staff and vendors meet me here. I've let all clients know that with the exception of an event on 10/11, I won't be meeting with any of them in person until late December or the first week of January.

If/when I go into labor, I'll just be sending all staff home. I'll still need a ride to the hospital, but I'm calling my Mom to take me. She works 5 minutes from my home and lives 15 minutes away. My SO lives and works 30 minutes away (7 min from the hospital) and he will be super frazzled about meeting his baby boy, so I want him to just breathe and come once I'm checked in and settled.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
    Proud First-Time Mommy From Memphis, TN!
    *My Favorite Thing To Do: Laugh Until I Cry*
    I can't wait to meet my Kenyan-Bajan-American sweet pea.
  • Options
    I plan on taking the 2 weeks before my due date off of work but if I were to go Into labor at work I would probably just drive home to meet DH. I work a half hour away. Hopefully my hospital bag will already be packed and DH can stop home and get it.

Anniversary 

• Options
    Good Luck To Everyone staying until the last day!!! If their offering the time off I'm taking it lol. I need a few days to acutally relax before the new baby comes.
  • Options
    Duder said:
    I'm a SAHM now, but worked until my due date with my first daughter. My plan then was that if I thought I went into labor while at work i would see how I felt and if it was slow enough, I'd try to tie up any loose strings for the day before I left. Then, I'd leave and go home (I worked less than 3 miles from my house) and labor there until it was time to go to the hospital. I never worried enough to keep my hospital bag in the car or anything like that. I'm on the app, so I can't see your ticker(s), but if this is your first, you'll probably have plenty of time once you go into labor to go home or have someone take you home before you go to the hospital to have your baby. It usually starts out pretty slow.
    This is exactly what I did when pregnant with my first. I ended up going into labor at work but was able to finish up everything. Then I went home with several hours of laboring at home before heading to the hospital. 
  • Options
    I'm working till I pop... My situation is a little different as my job allows me to work from home and telecommute, so if I go into labor I'm already sitting on a birthing ball at my desk, I can email HR and my supervisor and give them a heads up, and if I can't make it through my shift I can IM my teammates to let them know what's up. Since I plan on laboring at home for as long as possible anyway (I labored at home with my first for about 12 hours) it just makes sense to me to keep that paycheck coming as long as possible and get the most postpartum time off possible with my baby. 
    LaraLara
  • Options
    I am working until they make me stop. I am 35 weeks today. MY BP keeps going up, so I have a feeling they are going to take me out soon. I am honestly so over work haha.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Currently my last day of work is October 10th and my due date is the 13th unless my doctor tells me otherwise or my baby comes before then. It's going to be a tough six weeks but it will be worth it when I can be off until Christmas.
  • Options
    I work where I'm giving birth so it's a pretty easy decision. I suppose I should have a bag packed or something. I only did this 2 years ago but I've already forgotten all of these things!
  • Options
    I'm working through Thu 10/2, due date is Sun 10/5, unless of course he comes early. But there is some flexibility - if I can get my contract worker trained sooner, I might be able to head out earlier. If i do go into labor at work, I'll have a co-worker drive me home or have someone come get me. DH works about 45 min from me, so I'd probably have my sister get me and then DH can meet me at home. I really hope my water doesn't break at work! When I get closer to my due date, I will probably bring an extra pair of pants underwear to work just in case.

Pregnancy Ticker
    DH and I have been married 3+ years. This is our first PG, and we are thrilled! 
    Can't wait to meet our baby BOY, Mateo in October!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"