October 2014 Moms
Options

Anyone else measure large/further along?

At 31.5 weeks I went in for my normal bi-weekly check up and measures 33cm.. They didn't seem concerned and just wanted to keep watch. 2 weeks later at 33wks 2 days (last Thursday) I measured at 35.5cm.. Now I have an ultrasound to check for growth/too much amniotic fluid on Wednesday. Anyone else measuring off in size and if so what is your doc doing? I also have glucose intolerance but my blood sugars have been controlled really well with my diet so I am unsure if it would be related to that.

Re: Anyone else measure large/further along?

• Options
    I've been the exact same as you the last two appoinments. I don't have any health issues etc and my doctor is also doing an ultrasound at the next appointment. Not really worried about it at this point. If they move up my due date, woohoo! My doctor told me she just wants to make sure she's not too large, anything to 9 lbs she's not going to want me to be pushing out the birth canal. Good luck!
  • Options
    I've measured from 2 and up to 4 weeks ahead since they started measuring. I know my due date is accurate since I was charting and had an early dating u/s. My doctors are keeping an eye on it and may due an u/s but really measuring a little a head is no big deal babies grow at different rates. My last baby was over 9 lbs and likely this baby is just big also.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    At my last appt I was 33wks and measured 37cm. Dr. didn't say anything about doing an ultrasound for size. If I'm still that much bigger at my next appt I think I will ask...kind of afraid for my lady bits. It doesn't help that several people at work have looked at me and said "I don't think you're making it to the middle of October".
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Married 11/5/11
  • Options
    rosalie12rosalie12 member
    edited August 2014
    At my last appt, I was 31 weeks and measuring 3 weeks ahead. I also had an ultrasound at 29 weeks and the baby was in the 76th percentile. I have a family history of big babies and they are monitoring me more closely because of lupus but now I also have GD so we are anticipating a big baby. My doctor didn't seem too concerned, but I am being monitored twice weekly with NSTs and monthly ultrasounds until she is here. My next ultrasound is in a week, and I'm nervous about it because of the baby size. I know they're going to give me a hard time about it if she moves up in percentile. I know my due date is accurate because I used fertility tests and DTD on the two consecutive days the tests were positive, and not in the time around then because I went on vacation & DH didn't join me until the day before I got my BFP.

Eta: to add info about my due date

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I was measuring a little over a week ahead at my last appointment and they said they will watch it and if I continue to measure big they will schedule an ultrasound for the reasons you mentioned. It threw me off a bit because I've always measured exactly where I should with my last pregnancy and this one, but it seems like it is not very unusual.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Options
    My doc hasn't said anything about my measurements. I guess he would have mentioned it if something was wrong. But now I'm really curious!
  • Options
    Some weeks I measure a week or two ahead. Others I'm right on track. The midwife says it's all about baby's position, and the measurement is just taken to make sure your growth isn't waaay off. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    I have been measuring 4-5 weeks ahead since 20 weeks.  Baby is showing off the charts for every measurement.  I know that my due date is accurate because I was charting and using OPK's, and had an early U/S to confirm.  He is just a big baby!  I went in at 32 weeks for a growth u/s to check fluid levels and everything came back fine, just big.  I don't have GD or any other health issues that would contribute to this.  Both my older boys were larger (8.11 & 8.13) but I never measured more than a week ahead.  

Because of head circumference measurements, my OB is firmly saying that she is not comfortable with me going past my due date (10/9) and may look to induce me earlier if my cervix and everything looks favourable.  I'll start going in for weekly u/s at 37 weeks to keep an eye on how he's growing.  I do not want to be induced, but because she is legitimately concerned about him fitting through my pelvis, I'm deferring to her on this one!
    Jonathan Jeremy~12/02/2010,  BFP#2~M/C @ 11wks 4 days,  BFP #3~CP @ 4 wks 3 days,  
    Simon Randall~01/29/2013, Grayson Paul~10/03/2014
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Oct'14 January Siggy Challenge - Snow Fails 

• Options
    This pregnancy and last I've always measured two weeks ahead. At my doctor's appointment 3 weeks ago, I measured 4 weeks ahead and then this week I measured only 1 week. So Im guessing baby just had a big growth spurt.

My doctor and I are not worried and have been expecting this boy would be big since he measured "above average" at the 20 week scan and my daughter was 9lbs 9oz.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have been measuring 2-4 weeks ahead. When they did my u/s to check my low laying placenta they checked growth too. He was 3lbs and 75% so they said I was just carrying large. I have another u/s in a few weeks and they will look at growth again but the reason is for high blood pressure last time around.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm measuring slightly ahead. It grabbed my OB's attention, but she doesn't seem phased by it overall.
  • Options
    I've consistently measured 1-3 weeks ahead, usually 2-3 weeks.  I have fibroids though so that's most likely the reason for it.  
    Baby J #2 due 11.12.16
    Sydney Elizabeth born 9.24.14

• Options
    I've been measuring 2-4 weeks ahead, but I know my due date is right. I had an US and baby is 63rd percentile - lower than I was expecting! My OB said the measurements don't work on everyone. She said one patient was measuring 3 weeks ahead but the US showed the baby was only 10th percentile! It's clearly not a perfect science. Since my US looked good, my OB is no longer concerned.

Pregnancy Ticker
    DH and I have been married 3+ years. This is our first PG, and we are thrilled! 
    Can't wait to meet our baby BOY, Mateo in October!!
  • Options
    We are 1.5 weeks ahead on length and weight but on track for head size and body size.  Tall and thin like his Daddy :)  For this reason though if he doesn't turn from breech by 37 weeks they want to discuss C-Section so he doesn't have hip problems (due to length I'm told).

Native NYC-ers living in Switzerland - First time parents - 36 + 37

TTC: 8 Months / BFP: 2/8/2014 / EDD: 10/20/2014  

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    meagpt22 said:

I've been measuring ahead/bigger since early on and know my EDD is correct based on early us and charting. I was told baby is in 58 percentile and they consider less than 50 percent "normal". But I recently read prolonged morning sickness can cause a bigger baby based on a recent study. The thought process was the increased hormones that can cause morning sickness also cause increased growth. So curious if others that are measuring bigger also had increased morning sickness.

Interesting...I had pretty bad morning (aka all day) sickness from week 6-week 16ish
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Married 11/5/11
  • Options
    meagpt22 said:

I've been measuring ahead/bigger since early on and know my EDD is correct based on early us and charting. I was told baby is in 58 percentile and they consider less than 50 percent "normal". But I recently read prolonged morning sickness can cause a bigger baby based on a recent study. The thought process was the increased hormones that can cause morning sickness also cause increased growth. So curious if others that are measuring bigger also had increased morning sickness.

Not me - I'm one of the lucky ones - I didn't have any morning sickness. I don't understand how less than 50th percentile would be normal. I would think 25 - 75% would be considered most normal. Did they explain why smaller than average is normal? Doesn't make sense to me by definition.

Pregnancy Ticker
    DH and I have been married 3+ years. This is our first PG, and we are thrilled! 
    Can't wait to meet our baby BOY, Mateo in October!!
  • Options
    I haven't actually been measuring bigger, but baby has consistently been measuring 2-2.5 wks bigger since my first ultrasound at 12 wks... They still won't move my date forward because my tummy is on track. I'm trying to mentally prepare for either a huge baby, or for him to come early. Kinda frustrating tho.
  • Options
    I am measuring 2 weeks ahead,should be 34 but measuring 36..went in to check fluid and how big baby is, everything turned out fine. Fluid is normal and baby is a whopping 6lbs! They are just keeping a close eye and having me go every week starting now rather then every 2 weeks
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I've been measuring consistently 1 - 2 weeks ahead, and at my last u/s was about 2 weeks ahead.  No morning sickness, not even an inkling of it.  Dates are right because we only had sex twice that month, back-to-back.  It depends on which measurements are driving the "ahead", but for the most part my MFM just chalks it much of it up to genetic variation.  Also, a baby can be measuring completely on target but still be around the 50th percentile - and there are various reasons for that; people seem forget that measurements are not an exact science and that not all LO's grow at the same rate, or will reach the same lengths.  Head circumference, abdomen size, bone length; they all vary from person to person, and that begins in utero.  Some babies have growth spurts and then slow down a bit, some chug along consistently; growth "milestones" are much different later than they were over the first few weeks of pregnancy; they aren't nearly as static or uniform.
    Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
    TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

• Options
    I have been measuring consistently 4+ weeks ahead. At my last appointment (31w4d) I measured 37 weeks but, I'm having twins, so there's that! I will agree with PP though that there are a lot of variables, like positioning that can alter or skew measurements!
    Me: 37, DH: 42 Married March 22, 2003 TTC since early 2006, Fertility treatments since 02/2013 First Pregnancy with Twins EDD 10.24.2014
  • Options
    At 34 weeks my fundal was 41 cm and baby measured 6 lbs 4 oz.. Fluids are in normal range 18.5 and I was 9 lbs 8 oz so the Dr is not concerned. Also said they are not adjusting the due date ( only set this at first ultrasound).

Lil Pumpkin Caffrey ~ 10/3/14

• Options
    My fundal height has measured exactly on track the entire pregnancy despite baby consistently measuring 1-2 weeks ahead on monthly U/S's. And I know my EDD is correct ( within one day ) because I was charting.

I just wanted to chime in and say there is a lot of variation do try not to worry!

Peanut 1.23.11 ~ Bean 9.06.12 ~ Little Boy 9.24.14
  • Options
    My OB won't repeat the US (baby measured a bit ahead at the anatomy scan) unless I'm measuring at least 4 weeks ahead. Right now I'm at 2 weeks.

I had MS my entire pregnancy with DD. She was right on time (39w5d) and 8 lbs 12 oz.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"