April 2015 Moms

Breastfeeding poll for BTDT: How long did you and why?

SuperFudge00SuperFudge00 member
edited September 2014 in April 2015 Moms
Opinions seem to vary and I'd like to know your thoughts. Please leave a comment.

BabyFruit Ticker

November Siggy Challenge: Selfie Fails

Hidden for the sake of your eyes!

Breastfeeding poll for BTDT: How long and why? 178 votes

6 months
8% 16 votes
12 months
36% 65 votes
18 months
10% 18 votes
24 months
10% 18 votes
SS
34% 61 votes

Re: Breastfeeding poll for BTDT: How long did you and why?

• My daughter just turned 3 and she still nurses before bed a few nights a week. I plan on letting her self wean. That may change though depending on how this pregnancy goes.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I am going to nurse dd until 2 and will do the same for this new lo. For dd she has a dairy intolerance so bm is the only kind of milk she gets now. I also know it's wonderful for all kinds of reasons including keeping her healthy. With that being said we adopted ds and he was ff. He didn't get sick until he was 18 months. He has a wonderful immune system. Bfing for me is just an extra special time we share.
                    Our Blessing From God Through Adoption
                   Our Blessing After TTC for 6 Years (natural birth!)
                             EBFing, CDing, BWing, SAHM
  • Loading the player...
  • I chose 18 months, but it was actually 19. Not sure what type of comments you are looking for? My original goal was one year, then eighteen months. At that point I felt that we were both in a good place to stop, but it was another month before we did.
  • We did one year, and DS was already self-weaning at that time. If I'm being honest, I was ready to be done. I will aim for one year with this LO as well.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think every woman should do what works best for her family.
    I thought I'd go over a year, but wasn't sure how long. I totally get why a woman would want to be done by that point, especially if she is pumping/working.
    I stay home, so for me, a year was just an arbitrary date with little meaning, and my son was nowhere near done at that point.
    I nursed until he was almost three and stopped both for my own freedom and pressures from my husband.
    I believe in all the research indicating that bfing continues to be beneficial well into toddlerhood.
    I will add that my son was in the NICU and we had some early nursing issues, so it just made sense for us to keep going since he seemed to benefit so much from it.
    I got pregnant immediately after we weaned, so I feel bad that now that he is wondering what the heck is up with my boobs.
    I also will add that although we were still nursing, it was once or twice a day for last 6 mos to a year.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Is this for how long you will or did or want to or think people should?

I'm still nursing at 13 months. My plan is basically as long as it works for both us, probably till around 2. If my sore boobs keep getting worse I may reevaluate that though, which would make me sad.
    Either, depending if you are still BF.

BabyFruit Ticker

• My dd is 9 months and still bfing.
  • Thanks ladies. I really know little about BF, other than it's best for baby and I want to try.

I was talking with a coworker who I know BF and pumps at work and one day her break schedule changed. It was because she stopped BF at 12 months and that just never occurred to me. So I came here.

BabyFruit Ticker

• I voted 12 but it was actually 13. I so wanted to keep going but after a few days of him absolutely refusing, I knew he was ready to stop. I was sad. I would have kept going with his bedtime nursing for a long time if he would have wanted it.
    BabyFruit Ticker>
  • I bf until 3mo then I had to start to supplement cause she want getting enough. It was also very hard pumping at work.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • 13 months. I enjoyed doing it except the pumping part!

*** BFPs and Loss Mentioned ***

TTC since 08/2012

BFP 12/28/12-- EDD 9/19/13-- M/C (d&c) on 1/31/13

7/15/14 -- IVF #1

ER on 7/26/14 -- 15 R, 8F

ET on 7/31/14 -- 1 transferred (4aa); 4 frosties!!!

BFP 8/5/14-- EDD 4/18/15

Beta #1 (14dpo):  223, Beta #2 (17dpo): 898

First u/s -- 8/28/14= 1 beautiful baby with a hb of 131

10/25/14- It's a GIRL!

11/24/14- DX with Complete Placenta Previa (Stage IV)

1/12/15- Placenta Previa has moved to Marginal!! (Stage II)

BabyFruit Ticker

• I nursed DS for about 18 months, which is longer than I thought I would. My goal was one year, but it really worked for us and we kept going until it felt right to stop. I stopped pumping at work at 12 months and DS got cows milk during the day and breastmilk and night and in the morning.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    BFP #1 DS born 10/16/12 at 39w6d
    BFP #2 DD lost 11/17/14 at 17w2d
  • I BF for 8.5 months. The first 4 were easy while I was home on leave. I pumped another 4 months once I went back to work. But I just wasn't pumping enough to cover what he was eating while I was working. I started supplementing with formula at 8 months and switched completely to formula at 8.5 months. I was so happy to be done with pumping at work.
    imageimage
                                                                            A15 January Siggy Challenge- 

Workout/fitness fails 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'm at 2.5 years with #1, 1.5 with #2 and I plan to let them self wean.
    Tied the knot 2007 | Baby #1 2012 | Baby #2 2013 | Baby #3 EDD 4/2015
  • DD1 was 5 months and DD2 was one year. My goal with #3 is a year also.
  • SS
    I wasn't able to bf with dd. She was born with a very rare birth defect known as Pierre Robin. I did pump for the first month. But, with all of our time in and out of the hospital and doctors offices (multiple surgeries ) I just couldn't keep up with pumping after DH went back to work.
    I am hoping to be able to bf with this lo for at least 6 months, a year if I don't go back to work full time.
       image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    photo s622_zps5a9557e5.jpg photo 7ed57166-3187-446e-8404-f2ef169fe40f_zps238c4d05.jpg photo s620_zps504f3ce2.jpg
  • I had to stop at 4 months because I completely went dry. It sucked and I cried a lot over it. But this time my goal is 12 months.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    imageimage
  • Still nursing dd at 9.5 months. Not sure when we will stop. If this pregnancy goes smoothly, I will probably tandem nurse both babes until they want to self-wean
  • SS
    I wasn't able to bf with dd. She was born with a very rare birth defect known as Pierre Robin. I did pump for the first month. But, with all of our time in and out of the hospital and doctors offices (multiple surgeries ) I just couldn't keep up with pumping after DH went back to work.
    I am hoping to be able to bf with this lo for at least 6 months, a year if I don't go back to work full time.

I had to look that up. I'm so sorry, but it sounds like everything worked out. Thanks for sharing.

BabyFruit Ticker

• norsern said:

I tried for 8 weeks, but my milk production was basically not existent (I could pump less than 1 Oz total every 2-3 hours, despite all the tricks to increase supply).

Do you plan to try again?

BabyFruit Ticker

• I'm still nursing DD at 12.5 months. I still can't decide if I'm going to wean her before baby #2 comes or not...but I'd like to decide soon!

Honestly, breastfeeding was the thing I was least excited about before she was born, but I knew I still wanted to try for both her & my sake. I set a long-term goal of one year but also some short-term goals of 2 months, 4 months, and 6 months. The shorter term goals helped it seem less intimidating to me in the beginning. Thankfully breastfeeding went smoothly for us (or about as smooth as it goes for anyone), and I have truly loved it despite the feelings I had toward it before DD was born.
    DD - Born 8/12/13

• My dd is over two and we are still nursing. It's what works for us. I work from home so it was really convenient. I never pumped, but if I had to, I'm guessing I might not still be nursing, or at least not nearly as much. We still nurse 6-8 times a day (which is surprisingly SUBSTANTIALLY less than she used to).

At 2 my son was the same way! :P

Tied the knot 2007 | Baby #1 2012 | Baby #2 2013 | Baby #3 EDD 4/2015
  • I'm still BFing, DS is 12.5 months. We will continue as long as I have milk and he's interested. I hope to nurse this new LO at least a year.

BFP #1 4/10/12 D&C 6/5/12@ 12.5wks EDD 12/17/12
    BFP #2 9/10/12 CP 9/19/12@ 5.5wks EDD 5/21/13
    BFP# 3 12/3/12...Lukas James born 8/15/13
    BFP# 4 8/4/14 EDD 4/13/15

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• My son never latched so I EPd for 9 months . This time around I'm hoping things go as planned and I'll BF for at least 12 months.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We only made it 1 month. DS was born at 35 wks 6 days and was in NICU for a week due to having a low blood sugar. I was not allowed to attempt breastfeeding the entire time we were there so he was a week old the first time we tried. I was given a pump to use the first few days that no one could even show me how to use. Anyway, with no knowledge or instruction we didn't really stand much of a chance. I still get really upset thinking about it. I hope that I can use my past experience to make this time around much more positive.
  • SS.
    DS couldn't latch so I pumped for almost 6 weeks. And then I just couldn't keep up with him so we went to formula. I plan on trying to nurse this one, but I won't worry as much about supplementing w formula from day 1 if I have to.

• We actually just stopped 6 days ago and my girl is 17 mths. My first goal was 2 weeks, then a month, then 3 mths, 6... You get the idea. It was actually very easy for us. I nursed her 5 min after I delivered her... I think that helped. I know it isn't as easy for others like it was for us.

• I nursed for around 17 months. My son lost interest several months before that but I wasn't ready to quit, so I just kept offering. :-) It started to feel weird though, since we had always nursed on demand and now I was leading it. We very slowly cut out feedings until one day on vacation he didn't nurse at all and neither of us noticed. It was the best way ever to wean, I had absolutely no pain.

Also, I had an extremely tough start to our nursing relationship but I am SO glad I hung on!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I nursed until 6 months (from 4 to 6 I was pumping and starting to supplement with formula). No matter what I did, I simply could not produce enough milk for my huge girl. She is 22 months and wears 4T size clothes.
    I beat myself up for a long time about 'failing' at breastfeeding. At six months I went completely dry. It took a long time to get over it. But you can only do what you can do.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I did for about 4 months and unfortunately my milk was just not coming in. :( was a hard decision to supplement but it was the best choice. I hope to fully BF baby#2.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I breast feed my DS for 12 months. I would have gone longer but it seemed like he and I were both ready to be done. Toward the end I quit pumping because it was beginning to be a waste of time. I was no longer producing enough milk, despite all efforts. Fortunately he seemed to start losing interest, so it was mutual and the transition was easy for both of us.
  • I thought I would breast feed for a year, but I hated it. I ended up breastfeeding until he was almost 4 months old, then I switched to exclusively pumping for about 3 months. I actually liked pumping more than breastfeeding, and my son didn't miss it one bit.

All that being said, I plan to try again with this baby. My goal is to breastfeed for 6 months with this one. We'll see.
    imageimage
  • I breastfeed DS until he was 12 months old while I did have to supplement too he still loved to nurse. He started to self weaned at 12 months.
    <Pregnancy Ticker>

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers>
  • I made it 9 months (7 of which I only pumped - that sucked!!!) and by 9 months my supply had died off and I just quit. Going to try and not fall down the rabbit hole of exclusively pumping this time. I'll be seeking out lots of help in the beginning to help with the issues I had (oversupply and crazy fast let down that practically drown my boy every time he wanted to nurse).

BabyFruit Ticker
  • 11 months and still going. The plan is to nurse as long as DD wants too. I'm pretty tender right now though so we'll see. I'm also stubborn... We'll probably grit our teeth (hopefully just me, not DD - ouch!) and proceed as normal :-)
    Me: 27
    DH: 34

Ticker id: Q1i7

Lilypie - (qjIQ)

Building a family since 12/29/12!
  • I nursed DS until he was 11 months. I stopped when I got a stomach bug and got very dehydrated. It totally dried me up, or else I would have gone longer. It's hard to make a plan, because you will see that there are so many phases they go through. Sometimes nursing is easy and sometimes it's harder, but it can change on a month to month basis. My biggest advice to anyone planning to nurse is to set goals, but go with the flow and be flexible.
  • I breastfed for 11 months. My ideal plan was to BF until she was 18 months or so, but I dried up shortly after I went back to work (teacher) even though I pumped at work. I think it was the stress that did me in. It was actually really hard for me to stop at first because I felt like I had failed in some way, but looking back I am just thankful that I tried at all, and was able to nurse for 11 months. :)
    image"">image"">imageimage

• EBF until my son was 18 months:-)
  • I voted 18 months, but it's actually only been 15 . . . So far. I hope to wean around 18 months but DS isn't ready just yet, so we'll see.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"