December 2014 Moms
Options

NBR-Hair Issue

Ok so a little background. Before I found out I was pregnant I had bleached my hair and dyed it red, then 2 months later I bleached it again to dye it blue. I realized too late that that was a dumb move on my part. I did redye it brown after finding out I was pregnant to get rid of the silver that the blue turned into. Now my hair is dry and just blah. I know that I need to get it cut but it's not long to begin with and I am not terrified that if I go into a salon they will tell me I need to cut it all off. I have maternity pictures coming up at the end of October and I want hair that looks amazing and not dead, but I also don't want to have to cut it all off. Any tips to help me get more life into my hair to make it look better? TIA.

Re: NBR-Hair Issue

• Options
    Thank you. There was a point where it tangled insanely and was horrible to get a brush through it. Now that's over and it's just dead.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    CandEChicagoCandEChicago member
    edited August 2014
    I used to due the OTC hot oil treatments for my hair. Maybe also ask your hair dresser what they would recommend.

Edit: I occasionally use jojoba oil for my hair but I haven't had it dyed in years either.

Test
  • Options
    Hair is dead so I think the only thing to do is try deep conditioning treatments and trim like BankerBSN suggested. There are some pretty amazing at-home treatments you can find online that use things found around the house like coconut oil, honey, olive oil, clear aloe vera gel, etc... There are online forums devoted to hair care too where you can probably find some good advice. (I used to visit one when I had really long hair. They took hair care to the EXTREME but there were some good nuggets of info in there).
    image  imageimage

D14 mama with an O14 baby.
  • Options
    Also what products do you currently use? That might help us provide a better at home daily care treatment for you. I suspect you **might** be using something that could also be stripping your hair more than you thought.

Test
  • Options

I second the cut, and coconut oil. I use coconut oil for everything, but it really is great for your hair! I sometimes do an equal mix of coconut oil and honey with a little olive oil all mixed together and leave it on while I clean the house (Its stupid, but I think sweating helps my hair absorb it or something...) and then shower it out.

Good luck!

I'm not hungry, I'm HUUUNNNNNGGGRRRRRYYYY! NOW!

Dec 2014 Dec Siggy, Free For All

Big E- 2008

Miss M- 2011

Baby Z- 2012

Baby Smoosh, Due Dec 2014

• Options
    Also what products do you currently use? That might help us provide a better at home daily care treatment for you. I suspect you **might** be using something that could also be stripping your hair more than you thought.
    I use the Sulfate Free shampoo and conditioner from L'Oreal. I've done the coconut oil treatment twice since finding out I was pregnant. That's it.
  • Options
    My hair dresser has been working with my mom with her fried hair (previous hair dresser killed her hair between a perm and dye). He did deep conditioning treatment and for daily use recommended Morrocan (sp?) Oil and Pureology. Not sure if it is in your budget but I figured I would throw it out there.

Test
  • Options
    coconut oil! lube it up, hang around for a while (longer the better), wash out.
    *TEAM PINK*
    TTC#1 Since November 2013 // BFP March 27, 2014 // EDD December 11, 2014

BabyFetus Ticker

Anniversary
  • Options
    I love the Morrocan Oil Products but my hair tends to the greasy side and my hair usually gets greasier faster. Regis has an Olive Oil hair care line that is awesome, but as PP's have said you need to cut now. If you let it keep going the damage just goes further up so it is better to eliminate it. Healthy hair starts at the roots so deep massaging hair treatments help. Finding a professional that understands your hair can be hard, a friend of mine has red kinky curly hair and can not find a decent stylist.
    D14 - Free For All
    In loving memory of Baby HP42 and all D14 Angel Babies

• Options
    Thank you everyone! I will definitely be keeping up with the coconut oil. I just made an appointment to get it cut in a few days. 
    My hair dresser has been working with my mom with her fried hair (previous hair dresser killed her hair between a perm and dye). He did deep conditioning treatment and for daily use recommended Morrocan (sp?) Oil and Pureology. Not sure if it is in your budget but I figured I would throw it out there.
    I haven't heard of Pureology but I'll be sure to check it out. And the Moroccan Oil too. 
  • Options
    There are lots of treatments your stylist well know about, and just be firm with exactly how you want your hair cut. If they say you need more tell them maybe you'll get more next time but you have pictures coming up. And stylist worth a damn won't do more than you tell them if your sure that's all you want.

@Shortstack06‌ I'd probably love to cut your friends hair, any chance she lives in nj? :)
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for the advice. I ended up getting my hair done today since hubby got his hair cut today as well. The lady said my hair wasn't at bad as I thought it was. She ended up giving me a shampoo with Tea Tree Oil Treatment and then ended up cutting off about 1 1/2-2 inches (not nearly as much as I thought would have to be cut). My hair is TONS better and healthier just from that. It's shiny and light now, amazing. She said no more bleaching and if I want it dyed any other color to get it professionally done. She also told me that I should keep doing the coconut oil treatment on my hair about once a week and get it trimmed regularly.
  • Options
    Good. Glad that you are liking the results already.

Test
  • Options
    I would just be careful with the tea tree, I'm not sure about the oil but most shampoos can strip color from hair
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    There are lots of treatments your stylist well know about, and just be firm with exactly how you want your hair cut. If they say you need more tell them maybe you'll get more next time but you have pictures coming up. And stylist worth a damn won't do more than you tell them if your sure that's all you want. @Shortstack06‌ I'd probably love to cut your friends hair, any chance she lives in nj? :)

Sorry we are in PA
    D14 - Free For All
    In loving memory of Baby HP42 and all D14 Angel Babies

• Options
    If you have fine hair coconut oil can be too much. I learned this from experience. Moroccan Oil hair mask is awesome! I use it weekly I have naturally dark hair (pretty much black) and been lightening it for months.
  • Options
    @katnine I will definitely try the Moroccan Oil hair mask. I never knew that coconut oil can be too much for fine hair (which I have).
  • Options

@katnine I will definitely try the Moroccan Oil hair mask. I never knew that coconut oil can be too much for fine hair (which I have).

I used a little and couldn't get it out for days! The mask I use once a week over night and rinse out. You don't need a ton just work it into damp hair. My hair dresser told me about it and found it on amazon for cheaper than store. Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"