C-sections

Spinal Fear

Hi,

I am scheduled for a RCS a week from today.  I was induced with my daughter and had an epidural, which was a piece of cake for me - no problems.  Obviously, with a RCS I will be getting a spinal.  I have a SEVERE phobia about throwing up, and most everyone I have spoken to talks about how they threw up from the spinal either on the table or as soon as they got into recovery.  I am allergic to morphine, which I know can also make people sick, so they will have to find another narcotic to give to me for pain management.  The doctor today said I would have to discuss with the anesthesiologist my fears and see what they can do for me, but he said I should be prepared that I will most likely get sick.  Anyone have any happy stories they can share about not getting sick from the spinal or should I just prepare myself now?  I realize this should be the least of my worries, as all I want is a healthy baby, but sadly, my phobia about throwing up is just THAT great.  TIA.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
BFP 10/2/10, D&E 2/8/11 @ 22 weeks due to encephalocele 
BFP 12/25/11 - EDD 9-5-12  Baby Girl born August 30, 2012 at 39 weeks 1 day via c-section 
TTC #2 starting 2/13, RE work-up 9/13 HSG - blocked left tube, MTHFR, insulin resistance DH - perfect  11/13 - first medicated cycle: Metformin, Clomid, Ovidrel  
BFP 11/30/13 - edd August 11, 2014

Re: Spinal Fear

• Kim22Kim22 member
    I had three CSections with spinals and never even felt nauseous with any of them. I think there was zofran in my IV. I was scared to death of the spinal and it was fine. You will be great, congrats on your baby!
  • edited July 2014
    I had 1 cs but didn't get sick or nauseous or anying... And it wore off pretty fast afterwards too. No big deal. Def talk to a doc about your fears and esp allergies. But overall it's really not a big deal. Personally, the only place I ever heard of people having 'reactions' is here on the Bump. Nobody in real life even mentioned any bad reaction. I think people just love to bring horror stories online to scare others, where in reality it's nowhere near as bad.
  • Loading the player...
  • I had an epi with my vaginal birth and totally tossed my cookies right after telling the nurse i felt fine, lol. I had a c/s with my breech baby and was totally fine. No nausea at all.
    Love: 8.10.99
    Marriage: 12.18.04
    DD1: 5.19.10
    DD2: 4.11.12
    #3 EDD 4.23.16

• I had a spinal and didn't get sick at all.
  • I've had both a spinal and an epidural.  Spinal was for extensive repair for 3rd degree tear after med-free vaginal delivery with DS.  I got nauseous and threw up a few hours later, but that could have just been from the whole ordeal because is didn't last (Duramorph was injected at the time of spinal, so it was still in my system for several hours).

I actually had an epidural for my c/s.  It was supposed to be an external cephalic version, but ended up with emergency c/s.  I was a little nauseated, but did not throw up and they gave me meds for nausea. 

Discuss your concerns with your anesthesiologist. 
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • I had a spinal. The anesthesiologist just told me to tell her when I started to feel sick and she would give me anti-nausea meds in my IV. I felt sick maybe twice? I told the nurse and she handled it for me.

I would talk to the anesthesiologist. She will probably put all your fears to rest. Good luck!!
  • My sister got really sick during and after both of her c sections. I told the anesthesiologist I was worried about it (who wants to puke if it can be prevented, especially when you are meeting your baby). He told me to tell him if I felt nauseous, I did, he gave me something and it went away. Good luck!

• 2 cs's and I didn't have even a hint of nausea with either spinal. Morphine makes me itchy so we discussed other options but ultimately I decided to stick to it for the best pain management and just dealt with the itching.
    ***S/PAIFW***TTC since forever ago....

DH-34-MFI-motility+morphology.... Me-32-Hypothyrpid+LPD

7/8/11: Clomid100mg+Ovidrel+IUI#1=BFN

8/2/11: Clomid50mg+Ovidrel+IUI#2=BFFN

8/25/11: Follistim50iu+Ovidrel+IUI#3=BFP!!!!@14dpo

Beta#1 9/8 - 251 Beta#2 9/15 - 1622 Beta#3 9/22 - 12674

1st U/S; heard one beautiful HB of 129 - 9/29/11

OB visit; HB of 166 - 10/13/11

2nd US; HB of 163 - 10/18/11

A/S - 12/9/11 - It's a perfect healthy BOY!!!!

Our miracle baby boy - born 5/24/12

• BeachMBeachM member
    Ask for an alcohol square to put over your nose.  I felt nauseous during my spinal with DS2 and a nurse opened a small alcohol square and put it on the tip of my nose.  At first I was all 'What is this?" but it works! 

Ditto pp, they can also put something in your IV to help.

• I threw up the entire time, and for about two hours after. This time they mentioned giving me the anti nausea meds before the procedure and a higher dose during. I was in a lot of pain for many days due to the vomiting and pulling of my abdomen. Some people are just more sensitive to the pain medication! It's good that you know that going in and can hopefully prevent it.
  • 3 c-sections and I've never vomited. However, my BP drops and I end up getting a bit of epinephrine every little bit. It happened with my epidural (DD#1) and both spinals. Luckily I can feel when it's dropping too far and can let my anesthesiologist know before I actually pass out. I do get morpgine after but decline the benedryl for itching as it makes me too drowsy and I can't remember ANYTHING from those hours... I'd rather itch and remember my kids meeting each other and first baths etc :D
    Me - J.R. - 05/1986
    DH - J.I. - 08/1986
    Married - 09/22/2006
    DD#1 - A.E. - 12/15/2009
    DD#2 - N.R. - 11/07/2011
    DD#3 - S.R. - 05/20/2013
      DS - R.E. - 10/03/2014

Absolutely in love with our 'big' family!

I'm also a proud Auntie to a crazy little girl, her brand new baby sister, a little man on his way in the next month, and a sweet little mister we will miss forever!!!
  • I had c-sections with both kids.  With DD it was an emergency c/s and I vomited once right after she was born and then was fine.  With DS, I knew to anticipate nausea, especially because my water broke before my scheduled c/s right after Thanksgiving dinner, so I had about as much food in my system already as humanly possible.  The anesthesiologist knew this and put anti-nausea meds in my IV, and I didn't get sick at all.  I did feel a little nauseous the next morning but asked for meds right away and once again was fine.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • My first c/s was unplanned and I had already had an epi. I threw up a ton so this time for my RCS I was given a nasty antacid to drink a few hours before hand and they put something in my iv and I didn't get sick at all, not even a little bit. Talk to your doctor about options so you can put your mind at ease!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think today must be your rcs, so good luck! I know it's probably too late, but I wanted to add for anyone else that might read this is that I know a lot of women who didn't throw up. I didn't. I didn't want women new to c/s to think that it's a given. Also, as far as narcotics, I only got one shot of morphine in my IV during surgery and didn't have any thereafter, so hopefully they'll be able to give you something during the surgery, but you may not need anything after. 

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• nursemarie925nursemarie925 member
    edited August 2014
    This is my fear as well. Baby #3 was a section and I vomited the entire first day. Duramorph is a bitch! I plan on discussing this with my ob in case I decide not to Vbac. Also wanted to add, as someone who has worked in l&d, it's kind of a toss up as to whether women will vomit, it's pretty common, but the majority do not.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am 3 days post c/s...and I am happy to announce I did NOT throw up at all!  I was given a lot of anti-nausea medication throughout the procedure, my anesthesiologist was AMAZING!  As soon as my BP would dip, she was already giving me something before I said I felt sick.  Also, since I am allergic to morphine, I was given pain meds in my IV every hour for the first 24 hours, which was a HUGE pain, especially when they lapsed on the meds for almost 2 hours and I was in SO much pain.  However, the second day when I was walking, taking a shower, and taking my oral pain meds, I felt a ton better!  I did over do it and am paying the price today, but overall...things went much better than I planned!  Good luck to everyone and thanks for all your responses!
    BFP 10/2/10, D&E 2/8/11 @ 22 weeks due to encephalocele 
    BFP 12/25/11 - EDD 9-5-12  Baby Girl born August 30, 2012 at 39 weeks 1 day via c-section 
    TTC #2 starting 2/13, RE work-up 9/13 HSG - blocked left tube, MTHFR, insulin resistance DH - perfect  11/13 - first medicated cycle: Metformin, Clomid, Ovidrel  
    BFP 11/30/13 - edd August 11, 2014
  • I've never thrown up, I had 1 epidural and 2 spinals.  Only time during any pg I threw up was once in the last pg.  During my last c/s I did feel sick but the anesthesiologist is right there, you'll tell them what you're feeling and they'll put Zofran in your IV, if you feel sick again, they'll give you another dose, no biggie really.  I also felt really sick for the first hour or two after if I sat up too far, if I was mostly laying I felt fine, but if I got above a 45* angle, I would have to lower the bed again.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • Ask for an alcohol square to put over your nose.  I felt nauseous during my spinal with DS2 and a nurse opened a small alcohol square and put it on the tip of my nose.  At first I was all 'What is this?" but it works! 

Ditto pp, they can also put something in your IV to help.

The alcohol square works like a charm! I got nauseous on the table, just after laying down and they put one of those squares up to my nose and it took the nauseousness away. I don't know what you would throw up, since you can't eat for awhile before.
  • Threw up with my first C that was similar to your experience with the epi instead of Spinal. My second I had the spinal and had no issues at all. The spinal was overall a much better experience for me. I am also prone to headaches and didn't get a spinal headache.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"