Formula Feeding
Options

Mixing formula in Dr. Brown's bottles

I EP and supplement, but we use ready to feed since it's easier and LO only needed and extra 4 to 6 ounces of formula a day on top of what I pump. But his appetite seems to be increasing and he's up to 8 ounces of formula a day, so the ready to feed is getting a bit expensive.

We're going to start using powdered formula. We use Dr. Brown's bottles, the ones with the blue tubes down the centre. When you put the powder in the bottle with water and shake it, does the powder get caught in the blue tube at all? Should I just make it/shake it without the tube in it and then add that part after? (I'm worried about leaking that way since the screw on part is made to hold the white and blue thing so they seem extra tall.

Any Dr. Brown's users experience would be great. Thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
When Fluff Mail Arrives:

Re: Mixing formula in Dr. Brown's bottles

• Options
    RachelCA29RachelCA29 member
    edited August 2014
    Thanks! The travel caps are a smart idea. We use the 4 ounce bottles right now and I never though about going over that fill line after adding the powder. It might make sense to make it separately and then fill bottles.

ETA: I suck at mobile typing
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • Options
    I use dr. Browns & powder formula...on second kid using these & have never had a problem with the straw or other parts getting clogged when mixing directly in the bottle. If you mix 8 oz in the 8 oz bottle however, it will go above the max line & it will leak a bit when you shake to mix. Many on here use to pitcher or mix in another container & pour into bottle...all good options too, but I've never done either.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    They sell white caps...that is what we use to shake.

Ticker/Siggy Warning:  Children and losses mentioned

TTC #1 since 7/2011
    ME: 37  DH: 38
    SA-12/28/11-normal
    HSG-1/16/12-possible blocked left tube
    BFP#1---CP 7/9/12
    Hysteroscopy-8/9/12-blocked left tube for sure, proceeding with IUI#1
    IUI#1 (Gonal-F + trigger)=BFP#2 m/c @ 19w1d D&E 1/23/13
    IUI #2 (Gonal F + trigger)=BFP#3 EDD 1/6/14 TWINS!!!
    Identical girls born 11/17/13
    BFP#4 EDD 8/27/15 MMC at 7w6d

BFP#5 m/c at 6w

BFP#6 EDD 10/5/16  Going Strong!  It's a Girl!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    RachelCA29RachelCA29 member
    edited August 2014
    Thanks all! We only feed 4 oz at a time right now, but have a few 8 oz bottles too. I might make the 4 oz of formula in the 8 oz bottle to avoid going cover the line, and get a few more of the travel caps for mixing/shaking. We have 2 but I always seem to have one dirty in the sink when I need it.
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • Options
    If you mix in the bottle, and you're using the lines on the bottle to measure the water, add the water first and then the powder. Otherwise you will make your formula too concentrated by not adding enough water for the # of scoops you used.

Yes, I do this for when we are out now. I bring a bootle water (measured) and a little container of formula powder to mix when needed. Super handy and no need to worry about keeping BM or RTF formula cold while out then warming it.
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"