December 2013 Moms
Options

Weaning off the paci

Ok so as our babies are approaching 1year I was wondering about pacis. For those of you who use a paci at what point do you wean off the paci? I have heard different things and I have a friend whose 3 year old still has a paci.

So when is a good age to take the paci away?
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Weaning off the paci

• Options
    DS only uses his Paci in the car, when he's tired, and sometimes at church (to keep him quiet.) I would prefer he didn't get too attached to it so I'm thinking about weaning off the naps and car rides to start.
  • Options
    chemily8chemily8 member
    edited August 2014
    My daughter gave hers up at 3. Around 2 we only used it at night time and when she was really worked up, the only thing that would calm her. I hated taking something away that soothed her. Especially since it didn't affect her speech which I think is one of the main worries. Her pediatric dentist even told me, dental wise, as long as it was gone by 5. We ended up taking it away when she started biting holes in it, I was afraid she would bite a chunck off and choke
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    lp0lp0 member
    DS never used one but DD loves hers! I don't really have a timeline but I'd like it gone by 18 months.
    "Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it the more it will elude you but if u turn your attention to other things it will come & sit softly on your shoulder."

BFP! 04/26/11 - DS born 12/28/11 - BFP #2! 04/02/13 - DD born 12/11/13 -
    My Ovulation Chart

imageimage

• Options
    K isn't really attached to it. He really only uses it at night but he sometimes plays with it to make sounds so for now I'm not worried. I worry more about his bottle then the paci....
  • Options
    DD isn't really attached to hers. I basically use it at church or other places to keep her quiet. I was thinking of going ahead and lessening our use of it.
  • Options
    LO loves her paci. She has it in a lot. I'll see how things go at the end of the year but I'd like her to wean a bit after 1.
  • Options
    I didn't want to use a paci at all. My MIL gave LO one when she came to meet him at 1 month. He had it from 1 month until 5 months. When his bottom teeth were cutting he started chewing and playing with it so we put them away. My nephew still has one at 4 and we did not want to repeat that. Also, our Montessori school does not allow pacis or sippy cups which influenced our decisions a lot.
  • Options
    @mcncheese‌. 8 months. That's it. 8 months :)
  • Options
    We aren't attached to it here so I think whenever.
  • Options

I didn't want to use a paci at all. My MIL gave LO one when she came to meet him at 1 month. He had it from 1 month until 5 months. When his bottom teeth were cutting he started chewing and playing with it so we put them away. My nephew still has one at 4 and we did not want to repeat that. Also, our Montessori school does not allow pacis or sippy cups which influenced our decisions a lot.

Why no to the sippy cup?
  • Options
    K only uses hers to sleep, & even then it's not all the time, so I'm not really worried about it at this point.
  • Options
    Why no to the sippy cup?

That's my question too. I kinda think it's weird for a school to dictate what a parent choses to give their child as a soother. Sorry, your kid uses a paci, they can't come here.

Our parent handbook states "we do not accept pacifiers or sippy cups and it's important that when entering your child into toddler or primary that they have the skills to drink from a cup and can soothe themselves without a pacifier. Without these skills it's going to be a difficult transition for them."

For now LO is in the infant room. The restrictions are for toddler and primary classrooms. Kids move up from infant around 15 months but must be able to walk, drink from a regular cup, and eat table foods at a family style table. We chose to cut out pacis and skip the sippy so that we are consistent with the practices of the school.

Montessori isn't for everyone. It's definitely the right fit for our family. We like the small group sizes, the outdoor time and garden in the back of the school, and the fact that his movement is never restricted. There are no bouncy seats, play pens, or high chairs. He is free to roam about the room. We tried a traditional daycare and were pretty unhappy with their attitude on BLW, understanding about breastmilk oz intake vs formula oz intake, and how often he was strapped in a seat of some kind.

Many people have mentioned to me they think the sippy cup thing is weird. He drinks water from a tiny cup that looks like a shot glass. It's pretty hilarious.
  • Options

Why no to the sippy cup?

That's my question too. I kinda think it's weird for a school to dictate what a parent choses to give their child as a soother. Sorry, your kid uses a paci, they can't come here.

Our parent handbook states "we do not accept pacifiers or sippy cups and it's important that when entering your child into toddler or primary that they have the skills to drink from a cup and can soothe themselves without a pacifier. Without these skills it's going to be a difficult transition for them."

For now LO is in the infant room. The restrictions are for toddler and primary classrooms. Kids move up from infant around 15 months but must be able to walk, drink from a regular cup, and eat table foods at a family style table. We chose to cut out pacis and skip the sippy so that we are consistent with the practices of the school.

Montessori isn't for everyone. It's definitely the right fit for our family. We like the small group sizes, the outdoor time and garden in the back of the school, and the fact that his movement is never restricted. There are no bouncy seats, play pens, or high chairs. He is free to roam about the room. We tried a traditional daycare and were pretty unhappy with their attitude on BLW, understanding about breastmilk oz intake vs formula oz intake, and how often he was strapped in a seat of some kind.

Many people have mentioned to me they think the sippy cup thing is weird. He drinks water from a tiny cup that looks like a shot glass. It's pretty hilarious.

I get the idea of this, but what if your child is a late bloomer and can't walk at 15 months?

Montessori is not for me from what I have learned about it, but would they seriously not allow a child in the school if they can't walk at 15mo?
  • Options
    The child would not be able to move from infant to toddler until they were mobile enough to participate. Montessori does age groupings so it would not be appropriate for a child who was 15 months and not walking to be in a room with kids up to age 3. Primary classrooms are age 3 to 5.
  • Options
    Turk721 said:
    I was a kindergarten teacher for a year And found that the kids (anecdotal) that went Montessori potentially had zero flexibility and really struggled compared to the other students.
    This has not been my experience. I am not a Montessori person, but my husband went until he was 6 and a number of our friends kids did preschool as well and they are very flexible and great learners, very independent. That being said, it's not for everybody and some of it drives me nuts.
  • Options
    Turk721 said:

I was a kindergarten teacher for a year And found that the kids (anecdotal) that went Montessori potentially had zero flexibility and really struggled compared to the other students.

I am an elementary school teacher. I am currently teaching second grade. I have no concerns about my sons preschool affecting his later learning in a public school setting.

Before I earned my degree I worked at a Montessori school in the toddler class. I really enjoyed the program and felt the parents and kids did too but again it won't work for all families. You must believe in the philosophy for it to be beneficial.

We spend quite a bit in tuition since we switched from traditional daycare in August. It's worth it to us and we have no complaints. Here is a pic they sent me last week of Monty in the garden out back.
  • Options
    Turk721 said:

Turk721 said:

This has not been my experience. I am not a Montessori person, but my husband went until he was 6 and a number of our friends kids did preschool as well and they are very flexible and great learners, very independent. That being said, it's not for everybody and some of it drives me nuts.
    This. We won't be going the Montessori route, but my husband and my nephew both have and neither have struggled academically.
    Never said struggled academically. I said they struggled because of a lack of flexibility. Specifically, they Couldn't understand why they weren't leading instruction, hated group work,got upset when switching subjects after a certain time, and wanted to choose everything they did. Etc.

I also said it was anecdotal. And they all came from the same program. (Possibly not run the way it should be).

This is a similar experience I've had with students coming from Montessori.

It may work for some but it's not for us.

Anyways thanks for the input about pacis. I think we are going to try to slowly start taking it and hopefully wean her from it around 1-1.5yr
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I can see this being problematic with some children after being in a Montessori program long term. There is a lot of freedom in work choice in these schools and time limits for work vary greatly as well. In a public school setting there are less options and time management is critical. In these situations I think that it's important for students to understand the rules and boundaries at different learning environments but there is certainly going to be a period of adjustment. Especially in kindergarten if students have been a private Montessori school for many years.
  • Options

We weaned DD off her pacifier at 28 months. She had wubbanubs and she loved them.  Daycare had weaned her off of it by 18 months so it went straight into her cubby once she got there, but home was a different story. We finally took it away cold turkey 2 months before baby boy's arrival because we didn't want her stealing LOs. I'm not sure I would've done it any differently in hindsight.

DS1 is a thumb sucker and we are having a really hard time getting him to stop.  You can already see the effects of sucking his thumb molding his mouth so we really want him to stop.  We are working very hard at keeping LO from becoming a thumb sucker and offer his paci whenever we see him with his thumb in his mouth.

RE no sippy cups, the twins could drink out of open cups starting around 18 months at daycare with no issues, but we used sippy cups when out and about to limit spillage.

• Options
    With DS1 we took it away just before a year. We did it while he had a cold and couldn't really use it because he was so stuffy. It was pretty easy because of that.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"